Refresh exterior mirrors

Yves

True Classic
This summer I decided to refresh the exterior mirrors of my X and install new convexes glass mirrors.

First I dissemble the mirrors and take notes on how the glass mirrors movement is done.
40096286.jpg

79801758.jpg

50271699.jpg

21650027.jpg

The left and right mirrors cases don't have the same angle, as you can see from the picture.
69563978.jpg

I filled all the small hole/pit with "J-B Weld" epoxy and then sanded it all, finished with a 800 sandpaper .

10487665.jpg

31078523.jpg

I applied two to three coats of black paint for plastic.
98623600.jpg

Finally a coat of clear varnish.
93595640.jpg

I went to the auto parts to get two generic convex mirrors and brought to the glazing to be cut to size.

70052381.jpg

55774885.JPG

Well it all back.
46209043.jpg

68650645.jpg

28970099.jpg

33145015.jpg

I really like the largest vision with the convex mirror.
65859946.jpg

Everything reinstalled on the car.
78096657.jpg

Done:dance2:

Yves

Yves,

Your picture showing the different angles on the two mirrors is interesting.

Unlike most Australian X1/9s, mine has two mirrors fitted. However, the passenger side one is useless - you can't swing it outward far enough to get the correct angle. (It works great for anyone sitting in the passenger seat!)

After seeing the photo, I reckon the previous owner has simply found himself a left-side mirror from a left-hand-drive car and fitted it. It appears I need a left-side mirror from a right-hand-drive car.

Regards,

Brian

Yep, you would need to get a pommie left hand mirror! Being a 6 footer I find the mirrors need to be adjusted as high as they will go.

They look great!

My question would be, did they solve the problem of the right side wing window frame getting in the way of the view in the mirror?

Good job Yves!

Like everything else you've done on that car.
Very nice work indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. :thumbsup:

Lookin' Good!

I guess you have added another Saturday project to my list!

BTW Yves, great looking X! :clap:

Very nice!

Little projects like this (even when they grow into big projects) can be so satisfying. And, these kinds of details make a car look really complete.

I didn't quite understand one thing though. Did you take the glass to a shop or cut it yourself? I need a new mirror for my Vanagon and should do this regardless, and the convex glass is a great idea.

Greg, I took the mirror off my Vanagon and took it to a glass shop. Told them what I wanted, came back and picked it up, mirror installed, a few hours later. Grand total of $25. This was for replacing the mirror in a power mirror housing.

Gregory,

I sent the glass to a shop ... I don't have any tools for glass cutting!

(off topic a bit)

Hiram, the power mirror glass is nicely made as a separate piece, easy to replace. The early flag style like mine is captured in place by the plastic housing, which can sometimes be broken apart without too much damage. New units are too expensive for the quality; cheap mirroring that fails (like mine) and pivot studs that pull out if you tighten them enough not to flap in the breeze.

I'm thinking of getting a glass piece like Yves and cutting it to fit, and just gluing in over what's there.

Left and right view from driver seat, convex mirrors

Bertsl,
I let you judge from the pictures.
Also depends on your size.

img19701.jpg

img19751.jpg

Great Job Yves!

This is an amazing job, I'll follow this thread and take notes on my list of "my next things to do" :)

Regards.

adjusting mirrors - move when door closes

Any advice on how to adjust the mirrors so that they do not move when the doors are closed? I also have to adjust mine with the window down since the knob does not seem to have the accuracy to get it so I can see things.

Looks great.

Your housings look awesome, so jealous. Can I ask why you chose to go convex on both DS and PS? I glued a convex mirror over the PS and that helps a lot, I was just wondering about the DS. And did you specify to keep the writing in, or did the shop require that?

Normally the knob is spring loaded and should hold the mirror position.
Maybe the strain wire in the sheath are little bit sticky and need to be lubricated.

My suggestion is to disassemble everything, clean and lubricate.

Back