dashboard lights size number

somebody can help me, I want to replace my dashboard lights for leds, somebody knows the size number of this lights
I know T10 is 1/4 inch diameter but T5??? this is the size?

thanks on advance

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

Not T10 and not T5

The 4 large bulbs are #194/168 Often referred to as #194
The (12 or so) smaller ones are # 74 lamps.

To change to LED's, get on eBay and do a search:
The tiny #74 bulbs can be found by searching for "SMT 74 HIGH POWER LED"
Choose the appropriate color for your dash. (red, green, and amber)
These bulbs MUST be modified so that the wire DOES NOT wrap around the base. 1-side only.

(Like this:)
5newlampassysmbb0.jpg

The #194/168 bulb used in dash can be found by searching for "194 5 SMD WHITE LED"
You can get them in colors if you omit the word "WHITE". NOTE: These will not fit the side markers.
You might have to remove the colored (green or orange?) caps inside the cluster.

Or, for one of those "Ricardo" Saratoga tops... :) :)

Good luck Ricardo!

These SUPERBRIGHTLED.com guys are

about 1/2 mile from my office, but don't allow walk in business. :(

http://www.superbrightleds.com/index.htm

Not sure if it is helpful, but they have this "LED Car Bulb Cross Reference" page:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/bulb_cross.htm

They also have a link to a Sylvania site that lets you pick your vehicle and then shows you what bulbs you need for various applications:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

I put in my 78 X into the Sylvania website and got this result:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

Try a small number first

I've tried various ones from various vendors on ebay and outside, but none of them light up the dash as bright as the 5w incandescent bulbs. I've even tried the big and costly ones with 18+ surface mount LEDs, and still not as good (besides them being too tall).

My advice, buy 1 or 2 first to try before you commit. Leds are very directional, and only the light exiting out the side is useful for back lighting your dash. The warning lights use the top exiting light.

LED's are directional

But when used properly, will be as bright if not brighter with far less current. YES, you do have to guide the light. (so to speak)

My result:
dscf0002smqc3.jpg

To make things right, I had to add 1W LED's to point directly at the faceplate.
No amount of light (shining from the backside) can do what these do.
Also note the LED between the oil pressure and temp gauges.
Another BIG advantage of LED's is you can choose color, which greatly enhances the colors of the warning indicators. The pictures DON'T do the colors justice. The colors really are magnificent.
dscf0004smsh8.jpg

The end result consumes about 0.5 amp with LED's, compared to almost 3 amps using the original incandescent lamps.

As seen in daylight. (lamps on)
parkinglightsinternalsmrw0.jpg

Last edited:
Daylight??

Well.. between all those LEDs and the headlights, the inside of the trailer is pretty well lit, but daylight? That would be unheard of for that car. ;)

this is the right way to do it!

I'm a shame I never pay attention on my dashboard

Definitelly I follow your project,
Thanks for pictures

here is a drawing from my first idea, On my project is more easy to replace "the bulb" on case if i want on clear, green or blue, also heavy duty switch but I'll reject. (lol)

tableroconfoco1jpg.jpg

well... is just the first idea:eek:

Your dashboard looks really NEAT:headbang:

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

Last edited:
That's PERFECT!

I say you should Patent the idea! I love the switch too... :excited:
With the light bulb hanging like that, I now know why FIAT installed the visors! Ha!

That IS an energy-saving bulb, isn't it???? :confuse2:

The 194/168 doesn't fit in my 86 cluster.

Bob indicated "The 4 large bulbs are #194/168 Often referred to as #194". So I went to e-bay and bought the suggested bulbs and they were half the diameter of the large bulbs needed for my instrument cluster. My cluster does not look like Bob's (I have battery charge instead of oil pressure). I forgot to take a picture of the bulb when I had the cluster out. Any idea what size mine are? I'll sell the one's I got for $10 if anyone wants them.

RicB, please post a picture...

I ask because I've never seen any variations on the clusters.
They take #194 bulbs and #74 bulbs. (2 sizes, depending on which socket they go into)

Thanks in advance.

Intrument Cluster Pics

Hey Bob - Here's some pics of the back, front and the difference in the bulbs.

Ahhh! The problem is...

You've gotta YANK the glass bulb out of the holder.
The LED will fit right in there. :)

Try it, but make sure to TEST that you have the bulb in the correct way. (polarity) If it DOESN't light up, just remove the lamp and re-insert it 180 degrees rotated.

You should be fine. Let us know how you make out.

Back