Cooling system pressure test...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Today I rented a cooling system test kit from my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts and tested my Scorpion's cooling system. I've been smelling coolant on occasion with the top open and worried I had a head gasket leak, thinking it was coming from the exhaust.

Hooked up the tester to the expansion tank and pumped up to 13psi. I also removed the plugs and listened for leaks using my stethoscope.

IMG_20140629_162345997_HDR_zpsb2a4e0f4.jpg

After about an hour the pressure had dropped to 11psi. Not a huge leak but something was leaking. I did this 2 more times. Then I found a leak as evidenced by this small puddle:

IMG_20140629_162357787_zps0116ff37.jpg

Crawled under the right rear corner and saw this:

IMG_20140629_162606997_zps013a7319.jpg

So I had to remove the exhaust heat shield to tighten the clamp, and the leak stopped. Further testing saw a much reduced, but not completely solved drop in pressure. I inspected the engine hoses, radiator, hoses, fan switch and bleeder. I inspected the heater core and hose connections. I inspected the under-car pipes and drain bolts. No other leaks evident.

So, I'm chalking the slight remaining leak to the tester setup. While I had the tester I also tested the 13psi and 10psi caps I have, both test good. Hopefully this solves the mystery coolant smell and occasional air in the system I've experienced.

Anyway I wanted to share how easy the tester is to use and that it can show even slight leaks, a good investment of time. The rental is "free" in that you pay a deposit and get it back if you return the tool in 2 days.

Just wanted to say Thanks

Good post :)

I just bought a used but recently calibrated snap-on torque wrench (TECH3FR250) and the guy was also selling a coolant pressure tester for $140 obo. Almost made an offer so I would have one on hand, but decided that renting from the auto parts store would be better, if more of a hassle :)

Thanks...

Yes, it's a little hassle but if you're going there anyway (or by there as I was) it's not so bad. It's the kind of thing I only use when needed. In this case this is the first time I've used one in 29 years of wrenching.

Mostly I'm glad that it appears I don't have a leaking head gasket. My fear was that on cooldown coolant was leaking into the cylinders and burning out at startup. But I think I was instead smelling the coolant from the leak I found cooking off of the various parts, and also that air was being sucked in. Or that's my hope.

Back