Sound system install

Rodger

True Classic
As part of my K20 build, I wanted to have a nice sound system. As most of you know, the stock tiny rear shelf speakers are pretty weak. I wanted to figure out how to install front and rear speakers, as well as a subwoofer. I have seen several installs of front speakers in the door panels, but I was never a fan of the look, plus I did not want to cut up my new custom made panels. In my ’79, I had once mounted a pair of small bookshelf type speakers to the side kick panels in the foot wells, but they were always getting the way or getting kicked when getting into the car.

Since the car was stripped down, I could really get a good look at what space was available. There is quite a bit of space in the rear part of the front fenders and there is just the sheet metal of the kick panel separating it from the foot wells.
Front speakers 01.JPG
Front speakers 01.JPG

It looked like there was enough room to mount a 4” speaker there. The passenger side was unobstructed, but the driver side has the mounting bracket for the frunk release lever spot welded right in the middle of it. I had the body shop remove the bracket and re-weld it higher up on the panel to clear the space for a speaker. It doesn’t seem to affect the operation of the latch or cable.

I lined the cavity in the rear of the fenders with some of the left over foam blanket from my firewall covering. I also put a piece of that on the back side of the plastic covers that separate that cavity from the rest of the fender well, then closed it up. I put some tacky weatherstrip material along the edge that meets the fender to seal it better.
Front speakers 02.JPG

I had cut the 4” holes previously in the kick panels and run the wires for the speakers through a grommet into the space. I put some foam speaker liners that I had gotten from Crutchfield, then mounted the JL Audio speakers. They are fairly close to the drain tubes so I don’t think I will be able to mount the speaker grills directly to the speakers once the carpet is in place. My plan is to attach the grills to the carpet with short screws. We’ll see.
Front speakers 03.JPG

Front speakers 04.JPG

Front speakers 05.JPG

Front speakers 06.JPG

The rear speakers are 3.5” JL Audio and are mounted in the Crutchfield foam cups in the stock locations.
Rear speaker.JPG

The biggest challenge was finding room for a subwoofer. Most of the subwoofers that I have seen in other X’s in person or on the forum use one made to fit into the spare tire, or just get rid of the spare all together and put a stand-alone sub in the spare tire well. With the firewall mods to make room for the K20 intake manifold, a lot of the spare tire well is taken by the access panel box. JL Audio makes a 6” sub and a fairly small amplifier. I mounted the amplifier to the firewall in the space next to the access panel box. It just fit! I ran all of the wires, then made a custom subwoofer box below the access panel box. The box is a little smaller than what JL Audio recommends, but it was the best I could come up with. I had to make it in two pieces then assemble it in the well. I covered it with the same black vinyl that I had used to cover the access panel.
Subwoofer 01.JPG

Subwoofer 03.JPG

Subwoofer 05.JPG

Subwoofer 06.JPG

Subwoofer 07.JPG

Subwoofer 08.JPG

I hooked up the head unit to power to try it out. It sounds great! It feels good to get one project on this car pretty well put to bed.
Receiver.JPG

Last edited:
Wow that's impressive. Those front speakers look like a factory install (or how the factory should have).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very nicely done!

I think I will emulate the kick panel speaker placement, if you don't mind... not a fan of adding front speakers in the door. I swapped my vent window on my '79 to install the through glass mirror and was surprised to find the plastic behind the panels was cut for speaker... the door panels look original but I am having a hard time believing anyone did any work on this car let alone restored door cards... what is the volume of your sub box? Could I build one to fit between the seats and retain the spare storage? Could actually build box incorporating the amp and use it like a powered sub... just a thought. Looks great! And I'm sure it does sound awesome! I have actually been trying to get a good sound system in an X, off and on for 35 years! Yikes!
Thanks for posting

Of course you can use the kick panel idea. That's what this forum is all about, sharing ideas and knowledge. As far as the subwoofer goes, I thought about trying to mount it into that triangular area between the seats, by cutting a hole in that panel. I recall that the space in the spare tire well behind it was not big enough due to the bulkhead for the gas tank. As far as dimensions for my box goes, it is about 5 inches deep and goes as wide as the bottom of the well. The JL Audio website has dimensions and recommended enclosure sizes for their subs. Mine is not as big as they spec, but it sounds good to me.

I think Bob Brown made a nice one for between the seats.
I've got a spare tire sub, self powered in the spare tire well, plate speakers in the rear shelf, crappy 6" rounds in the kick panels, even so the whole thing sounds really nice, some day I'll upgrade the speakers.

Not thinking I would cut the rear panel...

The spare does go over near center. Thinking more like Jeff was saying Bob did. We put a 6.5" tube subwoofer in my son's '86 X it did sound nice and we just ran that tube and the shelf speakers. I put some 4" component speakers in a BRAT I had and they really sounded nice... not sure where I would tuck the tweeters in the X. They are pretty small but also pretty directional so manufacturers tend to put then right in your face. We shall see...
Regards

Well Crap

Wish you had posted this in May while I was running my Sound system. I used Kentwood on mine, no sub but I do have the amp located close to yours. I have my ECU where you sub is. Looks great, but what else would I expect after watching your build. I went with the single DIN 7" retractable touch screen. I will let you know how it goes. Keep up the good work.

James

I had cut the 4” holes previously in the kick panels and run the wires for the speakers through a grommet into the space. I put some foam speaker liners that I had gotten from Crutchfield, then mounted the JL Audio speakers. They are fairly close to the drain tubes so I don’t think I will be able to mount the speaker grills directly to the speakers once the carpet is in place. My plan is to attach the grills to the carpet with short screws. We’ll see.
While I have everything out, I'm thinking about recessing the speakers into the inner fender area. What did you use to cut the hole? A 4" holesaw, or something else?

Last edited:
Just to wrap up this thread. I ended up getting rid of the Sony receiver and went with a new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB unit. It has a great retro look that blends nicely with the '80's dash design, but has all of the features of a modern car audio system, like Bluetooth smartphone integration and audio streaming.
Photo Dec 04, 5 39 13 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Just to wrap up this thread. I ended up getting rid of the Sony receiver and went with a new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB unit. It has a great retro looks that blends nicely with the '80's dash design, but has all of the features of a modern car audio system, like Bluetooth smartphone integration and audio streaming.
View attachment 43502

I got one for Christmas, which was awesome. I haven't installed it yet, but one of my favorite features is the totally adjustable backlighting that can go full red to match the Vegliaflash clock. Love it.

Of course you can use the kick panel idea. That's what this forum is all about, sharing ideas and knowledge. As far as the subwoofer goes, I thought about trying to mount it into that triangular area between the seats, by cutting a hole in that panel. I recall that the space in the spare tire well behind it was not big enough due to the bulkhead for the gas tank. As far as dimensions for my box goes, it is about 5 inches deep and goes as wide as the bottom of the well. The JL Audio website has dimensions and recommended enclosure sizes for their subs. Mine is not as big as they spec, but it sounds good to me.
This looks great, but I’m a little out of sorts with the close-ups, and am not quite getting the front speaker placement. Any chance you can post a wider shot of their location before you wrap up the thread? Thanks.

Here are a couple of views with the carpet and grilles in place. Since you have a '74, you won't recognize the frunk release handle location that is in the first photo, but this is the outside of the driver's footwell.

Carpet install 13.JPG

This photo has an arrow pointing at the passenger side speaker location.
Seat install 04_LI (2).jpg

Here are a couple of views with the carpet and grilles in place. Since you have a '74, you won't recognize the frunk release handle location that is in the first photo, but this is the outside of the driver's footwell.

View attachment 43535

This photo has an arrow pointing at the passenger side speaker location.
View attachment 43533
Brilliant. Yes, the frunk latch on a 74 is privy to the passenger only. lol. So you cut right into the steel to mount those eh? The PO of mine attached pieces of plywood to the footwell steel, and then mounted 6” speakers to the wood. Kinda kludgey. Those tiny JL-Audio’s on the shelf are nice, as hearing with the top off can be tough.

Did you ever look at a slim sub for under the passenger seat? That’s where Mazda put the stock Bose Sub in my M3, but the seats may sit a little higher...

Did you ever look at a slim sub for under the passenger seat? That’s where Mazda put the stock Bose Sub in my M3, but the seats may sit a little higher...
There really is hardly any space under the seats. For a sub to work properly, it needs to have a decent sized enclosure as well.

Brilliant. Yes, the frunk latch on a 74 is privy to the passenger only. lol. So you cut right into the steel to mount those eh? The PO of mine attached pieces of plywood to the footwell steel, and then mounted 6” speakers to the wood. Kinda kludgey. Those tiny JL-Audio’s on the shelf are nice, as hearing with the top off can be tough.
Scroll through the first post - it has detailed pics of the cutouts & inner fender lining he performed :)

Did you do the carpet yourself? If not, a local shop?
Yes, I did the carpet install myself. I started with the MWB carpet kit. It's starts off as a one piece kit, but it is really finicky where the middle seam is. There are cutouts for the parking brake and gearshift/console. I pulled on it a little and the whole seam opened up through the carpet. Any cut in the carpet is really prone to fraying, so I ended up cutting the carpet where the middle seam was. Every cut that I made, I sealed with a small butane torch to keep it from fraying anymore. I glued it down over the tunnel area and carefully matched the sides so the seam is practically invisible. It's detailed a bit more in my build thread. It's partway down this page. https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....ct-off-to-a-good-start-volume-2.32624/page-11

Back