Seat question

dontilgon

True Classic
Just wondering what you guys think. I am looking to get my 87 seats wrapped in leather. The cloth is showing wear. NOW should I take the seats out and bring them to get wrapped or just leave the car at the shop. I really would like to just take the seats but not sure if its an easy task to remove them.:confuse2:
thanks Joe

Im pretty sure its just four bolts per seat, the early ones just slide out. I would just take the seats.

Seats come out easy IF

If you clean as much of the thread as you can, under the car.
Wire brush and oil them prior to unscrewing, makes them withdraw a lot easier.
4 allen-head screws. Rear ones easier than the front.
If you're lucky, the front ones will have slots for easy seat removal.
Remove them anyway, clean and grease them up for the (potential) next time.

Good luck!

Yes it' very easy 4 allen bolts, just move the seat far in front remove two allens bolts, move the seat far back and remove the two other allen bolts.

I removed mine last mounth 15 minutes

Thanks I was leaning to taking just the seats. Thanks for the removal advise, I'll for sure clean them up before trying to remove. Thanks Again Joe

To add and clarify:

On my car ('85) the bolts in the front go in key-holes on the seat rails, no need to remove the bolts. Slide the seat as far back as it will go, then loosen the front bolts a turn or two. Then slide the seat all the way front and you have easy access to remove the rear bolts.

P1000233.JPG

P1000234.JPG

Then push the seat and rail front 10 - 15 mm and lift the seat free from the front bolts.

Last edited:
I found that the short leg of my standard Craftsman 6mm allen wrench was just a little too long for removing the front two bolts. As you backed them out of course the bolts would get closer and closer to the seat and the angle just got too sharp.

My solution was to get a set of Tony Natoli signature model :wink2: allen wrenches at [drum roll, please!] Harbor Freight, the ones with the "ball end" that lets you turn the bolt while the wrench is at an angle to the bolt head.

Of course, if I had known about the key hole thingie :doh: in ng_randolph's post, there would have been no need for the new allen wrenches!

Thanks , for the detail pics. Iam going to check if the seats are the same. (Cant see why it wouldnt be.) That would be great 2 less bolt that may snap:). Thanks for the help again. Now I just have to shop around to find a good and reliable shop in NY.

LOL..Isnt always that way. Iam learning to be patient this time around. Ask first, then act. withmy last X, it was Act first then ask:mallet:

If these are later X1/9 seats...

remove the seat and rail, then un-bolt the rail from the seat. Then they can be properly cleaned up and re-lubed. These are ball bearing sliders of good quality. Stuff tends to get caught and trapped in the ball bearing slides and they stop sliding.

A bath in simple green & water with a scrub brush.. rinse with water and dry. Then re-lube with a quality grease.

Bernice

Back