128 Owners - Lets talk springs

Hi folks,

In the last few days I've gotten a couple of calls about springs for 128s. There are a lot of different variations in springs, for 128. Depending on the model some will take an X1/9 strut / spring well, others won't and are better to use an SL/3P spring on a stock strut. Here are a few pix of various springs in comparison to one another. In the picture we have:

128 USA Sedan/Wagon
128 Euro Sedan / Yugo
128 SL/3P
Scorpion Front and Rear
X1/9 Rear
X1/9 Front

Enjoy,

-M

spring-comparo-a.jpg

spring-comparo-b.jpg

spring-comparo-c.jpg

spring-comparo-d.jpg

Matt

Off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you about the front grille you've fashioned for your blue race-X, as I've pondered whether that might work on my '81 (with mods). What did you use/start with?

Thanks

Blue crush front grille

SCCA road racing production-class rules state: Stock grille must be retained.

That is, in-fact a stock 75-78 grille there, in its entirety. I warmed it with a torch and took the contour out of it, then rolled the outside edges so it would fit in place. It is secured to the front valence panel with fender washers and machine screws.

Then I sprayed it silver.

The headlight openings in the Dallara kit were turned into air duct scoops, and we did the same thing with the coverings on those as well, they are portions of a 75-78 grille.

ta-da.

-M

Dang it

it was the silver that threw me off. I'm thinking there must be some sort of fairly sturdy mesh (that would come in a roll, but still be somewhat pliable?) that could be made to work, as opposed to searching for a good, used grille.

But I can't be the first to have considered this..

In any case, sure looks grand!

Matt- Do you have a pic of the grill of the Black...

...Dallara styled car in the shop? That might help him out with the mesh idea.

If he doesn't pick up on this tonight, I will shoot a pic for you in the AM.

Yeah just google Universal mesh grills...

Lots of reasonable options...

Thomas I have a ton of pics of that Dallara kit for research of mine in sloooow progress :)

dallara.jpg

dafront-1.jpg

Thanks, Thomas and Greg

the one on the black Dallara-rep (what a beauty!) is exactly what I had in mind. Just hadn't noticed it before.

Did someone mention 128 springs?

offrampze5.gif

Hi folks,

In the last few days I've gotten a couple of calls about springs for 128s. There are a lot of different variations in springs, for 128. Depending on the model some will take an X1/9 strut / spring well, others won't and are better to use an SL/3P spring on a stock strut. Here are a few pix of various springs in comparison to one another.

Ok Jim back to topic...

"Did someone mention 128 springs?"

I just get too excited about that black Dallara kit. :)

Also looks like I have more cutting to do then I thought at 15" :mallet:

DSC00050-1.jpg

Maybe instead of cutting the springs

you could just set the washing machine to HOT and shrink them a bit. ;)

"Did someone mention 128 springs?"

I just get too excited about that black Dallara kit. :)

Also looks like I have more cutting to do then I thought at 15" :mallet:

Scorpion Springs US or Euro...

Are those Scorpion US spec or euro springs? I'll bet they would work nicely on a SL/3P, probably lower it about an inch.

Tom

Matt, I have been struggling with this very issue for a while now. I currently run my fronts with X1/9 rear springs, and the O/E 128 front struts. It lowers it nicely, but feels kinda funky. It doesnt help that the struts are shot. I'm still trying to sort out the strut issues we discussed a while back. Cannot find a matching pair of rear X struts to install. When you come across something, let me know.

Are those Scorpion US spec or euro springs?

This might be what you're gettin at, Tom: Scorpions are US only; Montecarlos are European (and the rest of the world). Montecarlo springs are slightly lower than Scorp.

According the the Monte Hospital site:
Standard Montecarlo springs are about 18 mm lower than the Scorpion's so if you want your Scorpion a little bit lower than go for these.

I hope that helps.

John O.

What I run for springs...

Hi guys.

On my 128 I run Rear springs from an X with a good set of oil filled way-ass-auto struts. In the rear I have a set of heavy duty McPhersion oil struts (which you can still find new on ebay) and the rear spring has been re-arched to remove the lowering blocks.

The car runs and drives great.

However, I have found when I run the original tire size on the car, it does not track very well down the road and feels funny.

When I put on a set of 185/60's, it is a whole new car, very stable and get this, great in the rain!

Again though, it depends on your use for the car. I have played with all of these before on both a 128 sedan and a 128 3p and have done good and bad things with both. I found out you can lower a 3p too much!

If you are going to do any racing, then I would suggest you move right on over to some coil overs as you can pick them up for fairly cheap.

If you do this, dump the rear leaf spring and get some coil overs, however, then will need to be the smaller 2.25 diamater version, not the more common 2.5

Spring rates are up to you.

Standard driving - I find anything over 300lbs begs for kidney belts
Race - 300 to 400 front, very high in rear 500-600

However, it could be more. The guys running the old Uno series in Europe use 300 to 400 in the front and 1200! in the rear!

Hope this helps

One last thing. X 1/9 and X 2/0 have already been used by Fiat/Lancia.

Eric Armstrong

Back