Plug Wire Diagram

Count Jack

Low Mileage
I have a X19, 1979. Beautiful car. Anyone know where there is plug wire routing diagram? My distributor is the one that has wires coming off only one side. Which distrib connector goes to which plug? All the manuals are confused!!! Car won't start!!! Ha!!!

Plug wires

Assuming your distributor is properly installed, this should help:

wires.jpg

Thanks for info

Thanks for the wiring diagram. You know, none of the X19 manuals has a proper diagram!!! I can't think of anything more important than to get the plugs firing in the proper sequence. :king:

mmmm... are you sure that pic is right?

mmmm... are you sure that pic is right?

The firing order is 1342, but the picture kinda looks as if it's wired for 1243. Of course it depends on how the pickups in the cap itself are connected, and I don't have a cap like the one in the photo to see for myself.

Nearly as important :)

Thanks for the wiring diagram. You know, none of the X19 manuals has a proper diagram!!! I can't think of anything more important than to get the plugs firing in the proper sequence. :king:

Nearly as important :)
Number 4 cylinder, not #1, is the one that wants to fire when all the timing marks are lined up. You can fine-tune the timing with a timing light triggered by #1 or #4 because their pistons go up and down together so are at TDC at the same time. But unless you have a somewhat oddball camshaft, the camshaft timing mark lines up when both valves in #1 are open (top of the exhaust stroke), both valves in #4 are closed (top of compression stroke, ready to fire) so you have to set the distributor to fire #4.

Yes

It is correct for the way the terminals are configured in the cap. I can't recall the original source of the diagram, but it has proven helpful since the firing order not is readily apparent without removing the cap to see what goes where. :)

Spark Plug Sequence-Wiring

Yes, here's the correct wiring for 1-2-4-3 firing;

Have jpg picture- can't figure out how to include in this post!!!

Kid changed spark plug wires - not knowing any better.
Nothing worked.
Reading up on the forum, I saw the recommendation of 1-3-4-2 or 4-2-1-3. Our engine did not even start with 1342 and was really rough with 4213.

I confirm that 1-2-4-3 worked for our 1982 X1/9. Thank you @jharrelh

Back