how many x's do you think are left?

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
of the 200k produced and i know quite a few of you have multiple ones, and there are numerous ones that sacrificed their lives to make yours whole...

i dunno, probably 75-100k still out there maybe less

This was debated a year or so ago.

The numbers are always a lot less than you might think for any vintage vehicle. But as I recall the most reasonable number was 4 digits. In any case, that original production figure was global. So Xs were already rare from the get go. In a country like the USA, the number on the road are vanishingly small.

I am confident it is well into the five digit range...

...just from our customer base alone...and we talk with several first time customers every day of the week. It amazes me how many of these cars are out there.

Now THAT is interesting

I am confident it is well into the five digit range
...just from our customer base alone...and we talk with several first time customers every day of the week. It amazes me how many of these cars are out there.

I would have guessed something in the mid four digits in North America, based on xweb membership (774 right now) and the number of guests active at any given moment (if you assume that the guests have the same browsing pattern as the members, there are roughly as many active non-members as members - but that probably understates the number of non-members as they are likely less active).

On the other hand, I've bought four runners, one parts car, and one resurrection candidate - and only one of the sellers would admit to having heard of us. So maybe there are a lot more cars and owners out there in the cold than I realized.

It would be interesting to know how many are registered

and on the road as opposed to out there languishing under tarps...

on the road figures(currently registered) would be interesting to see as well, mine is road worthy, however i know of quite a few no longer in 1 piece as well

cant someone contact DMV and find out how many are registered in their state? It would be alot of phone calls to cover every state, but Im pretty confident it can be done and the info given out. The reason I say this is bec I was on craigslist browsing and I came across an ad for a Izuzu Vehicross and the owner stated that only 8 were registered in NC and his was the only one in black. BTW Ive always wanted a vehicross to pull a cherried X1/9 on a little flat bed :nod:

My guess is...

Around 5% of the 165 000 cars built are still alive. Of those, I would say only half of them are actually registered. Why? A lot are in long term storage or restoration. One of my car is in the garage for 10 years now, just don't have time to put back the engine together. But I have another to drive over the summer.

So roughly, there are still around 8000 X1/9's in the world and 4000 of them are on the road (in the summer!). More than half of this number is in the United States. In Canada, the total number would be close to 500 units in all the country (250 on the road).

And that is OPTIMISTIC!

Daniel Forest
1980 black Fiat X1/9
1987 white Bertone X1/9

If we're talking driveable, registered cars, I'd be surprised if the numbers in the US exceeded the very low 4 figures...

However, if one were to include all the surviving restoration projects, weekend racers and those just sitting in backyards and driveways slowly becoming one-with-the-earth... the number could be 10 times that amount...

I'm thinking maybe a few more than we expect. My theory comes from the fact that road worthy X's show up on Craigslist, Autotrader and eBay every day. One's that we have never seen before.

Remember, the ones that we only really know of are from folks that are computer savvy.

Im gonna say around 25-30k or so world wide are still being used/road worthy. Of that number maybe 500-1200 are being used in racing/auto-cross applications, and around 2500 additional cars are being restored/sitting in garages. The rest of the X's produced are either wrecked,scrapped or sitting in fields/lots rusting away.

No argument here - just a question

....you guys would be VERY surprised. Your shooting low here.

No argument here... You have data and the rest of us have isolated data points, so I believe you.

Is there an outreach opportunity here? Suppose you dropped a slip of paper into every outgoing package that says something like "If you're buying this, you will be interested in http://xwebforums.org"

Last edited:
I usually mention...

...the forum to just about every newbie that calls in. 99% of them have never heard of XWeb before. Unfortunately and surprisingly, a good percentage don't seem to have any computer usage going on.
Not a bad idea, though. I may put something together to insert in the orders.

For perspective...

When the Fiat 124 Sport Coupe registry was up and active, it took me about six years to register 483 cars in 37 countries. The production numbers on the Coupe are close to the X1/9, except that it went out of production in 1975. I would guess the X1/9, being more of a sports car instead of a coupe (think surviving BMW 2002 and Datsun 510), and being produced much later, has more surviving numbers. I also found that there are many owners who 1) Don't have internet service 2) Choose not to use the internet at all. You'll never find those people (and cars).

And yes, if you are wondering, the registry will be going online again.

Cheers,

Cesare

My low estimate is based partly on observation... I simply never see Xs on the road (except when I get together with the local NE X-heads, of which there's only a handful). This includes the area of the country where I live and places I visit... both domestic and international.

Even at the relatively large "Tutto Italiano" event held in Boston which draws Italian cars from all over the Northeast, typically only one or two Xs show...

Other vintage sports cars I see all the time (in the summer)... MGs, Triumphs, Alfas... hell, even Fiat Spiders... but never, ever an X.

So if there are thousands of registered X1/9s out there, nobody is driving them.

Telepathy!

...word of mouth and the thousands of old Bayless catalogs floating around the planet.

Bayless Racing was around for decades before Al Gore created the internet. I remember finding them in the early 1980's via their advertising in various car magazines.

It is hard to imagine how any sort of businesses like these existed prior to the web.

Back