Virtual Gauge Cluster Project

bbrown

Bob Brown
Like I don't already have enough to do... Ha!

This is an idea I've had for a while now. With all the fancy gauge sets out there, no one
has offered a "TFT digital display" style gauge set on the market. We certainly have the
technology, but for some reason no one has done it and I'm not sure why.

Maybe the expense? The only place I've seen them (to date) is in Boeing Airbusses. :)

Now that my Insertable Headlight Harness project is done, I've decided to revisit
gauge cluster projects. After doing the last custom cluster for Madd Matt, I've started
looking (again) at options. Given the 2 "snow" weekends we've had recently, I got a
little incentive to investigate the possibilities of a "virtual dash" for the X1/9.

The up side of this is that you can create whatever you want. Literally. Need a
gauge, make a gauge. The styling is whatever you make it, so the possibilities are
endless. Color, shape, style, whatever.

The down side: expense for one, "ready status" for another. This concept requires a
computer to work. No one wants to wait for their gauge cluster to "boot up", so the
technological challenge (for that) is there. Waiting 15 - 20 seconds for it wouldn't be
intollerable however. (in my view) Expense-wise, I think it could be "built" for around
$1200, plus the software creation time. So for some, a do-able investment.

To answer a few questions in advance, here is an example of what COULD be included
as a "standard" package:

One wire oil pressure gauge. (transducer only) Light activates with preset limit.
Temperature gauge with over-temp light and digital output. (preset as above)
Voltage gauge. (digital or analog)
Speedometer selectable with KPH/MPH (you select) with shift set point outputs
One wire fuel sensing.
Clock-wise or counter-clockwise Tachometer with hi-lo RPM output sensing
Air/fuel ratio gauge
Vacuum pressure gauge
Ambient Temperature gauge
Custom gauge / needle colors.

This CAN & WILL work with MegaSquirt. I'm working on the digital/serial interface
NOW. When completed will be far superior to the "general use" interface MegaSquirt
offers. If I can get over the hardware (i.e. computer/LCD screen) hurdles, the rest will
be easy.

I have "built" a working software model. Below are pictures of what my prototype looks
like. This is based on a late model X1/9 cluster.

You'll notice the gauge and "toolbox" area (of sorts) that allow adjustment or
toggling of the internal registers that make it work.

bertonecluster1sl0.jpg

bertonecluster2hx7.jpg

And the LCD Screen I'm looking at is from one of those "visor monitors":

visorimagerg3.jpg

The computer is made by Samsung and has 2 USB ports, (1 for serial MegaSquirt and 1 for
Digital/analog interface) external video out, a "flash" drive and many other features found
in full-blown units:

q1ultrasq4.jpg

and the cluster interface: (usb to D/A converter)

usbdaccd4.jpg

Other goodies could also be added, but this is where the project BEGINS.

For All that want to give it a "test drive", you can download the files HERE but FIRST create
an empty folder on your computer, then unzip ALL four (4) files. PLEASE view the
"Read Me First!!" file BEFORE you begin the install.

This program was written by me and contains NO spyware, malware, viruses or the like.
It's a simple installer program and will create a folder in your Program Files folder called
"Bertone X19 eCluster" that runs from your Start Menu.
The program was tested using Windows XP only. When you UNINSTALL the
program, it uninstalls completely and leaves nothing behind.

This program was designed to run on a screen resolution of at least 1440 x 900 pixels at
92DPI. If your screen resolution is smaller, the gauge cluster will work but appear too big
for your screen. You CAN drag it around but it'll not look the way I intend you to view.
Also, If your pixel count is set to 120 DPI, (the default is 92) the screen re-draw
sequence will look pretty funky. But nothing here will cause your computer to lock up
or crash, etc.

Note: There are slide bars, check boxes, buttons, etc. you can use that all simulate
inputs. This program is a working model so you can simulate without the use of a D/A USB
converter. If you click/hold the up/down arrows, the gauges will scroll. (or you can use the slider)

Have fun with it!

DamonFG has been kind enough to host this for me so MANY THANKS go out to him.

Let me know what you think. (or if I'm wasting my time!)

Last edited:
Hey Bob

You are a madmen. :)

I loaded up the program and poked around. Looks real nice and I wish I could afford one.

Have you looked into any of the Pico-Itx boards that are available? You might be able to come up with your own little linux based system.

WOW !!

Hah wow I installed it and that is an amazing piece of work!

THAT is "Best Of 2.0" material if I ever saw it... (now I have to go make a best of 2.0 to put it in...!)

:clap:

Ya but....

...have you fixed that coolant leak yet?... :laugh:

(sorry... couldn't resist again...)

Yeah, it's "winter-fixed"

That means IT'S FROZEN ! :eek:

Thanks for the reminder Jim, 'ol buddy! :nana:

I don't think it's a waste of time at all. I was actually planning something similar for my X. I was all set to go the route you went when recently I read that someone else I know is planning to do it with a microcontroller instead of a computer. He mentioned one microcontroller in particular that has video out for some of the LCD screens out there. Upside is it would be a bit cheaper. Downside is it probably would not be as flexible.

Anyway, looks like you have been keeping busy in this cold weather. Keep up the good work.

David.

Dear Lord, Please melt the snow so Bob can come out and play...

... hasn't Carol suffered enough... certainly, after childbirth, no woman should have to suffer through such an ordeal...

(Otherwise... absolutely outstanding work. I just don't think a WS Visor should have a value that exceeds the cost of the average X1/9 though.)

Does the visor monitor you are looking at have anything other the composite video in?

I wouldn't think you'd have a very readable screen with composite.

It has S-Video but

You're absolutely right about the composite video thing.
S-Video will work "OK" but I really have to try it first and see.
Haven't got the screen yet... Just the computer and (hopefully today) the D/A converter.

This is in the early hardware stages but I've proven the software concept. My main concern
was with re-draw speed. (for the gauge needles) I'm using vector line drawing for the needles
instead of sprites. If I use sprites, the screen may flicker, OR I'd have to use a fast power-
hungry processor & video card. I want to stay away from that.

But good observation!

John, that's a great display but

It so happens to be the (far as I can tell) the same display incorporated in the
Samsung Q1 Ultra computer. (shown in my initial post)
The idea is good though. The Samsung Q1 Ultra already has a XVGA
monitor jack on it along with 2 USB ports. I need the ports for the I/O of the MegaSquirt
and D/A, otherwise I'd need to get a larger computer to run the works.

The ultimate (of course) is to find one of those 12" visor displays that accepts the
XVGA signals direct, but I've got a feeling S-Video might be enough. The visor screen has
a 1024 x 640 resolution, so I'll have to scale the image but I have hope it will look good/bright.

Thanks for your valued input!

What I want...

OK Bob, computer generatred gauges are all well and good, but can I play DVDs on the gauge set on long trips?!? :)

Ha-Ha! Sadly, the answer is

Yes! The computer can easily handle it, but that's for later on.

Imagine watching the bar-graph equalizer dance to the music as you cruise down the road ...:music:

As you ignore that you're engine is overheating!!! :mad4:

Back