Tour to BOFI from the SF Bay Area

willrace4beer

True Classic
For the 4th year, FIAT America will be touring to the Best of France and Italy Car Show in Van Nuys, CA, and we would love to have you join us.

We'll be leaving from Livermore on Friday, November 5th, and returning on Monday, November 8th. If you can't take both Friday and Monday off, you can either:
  • leave Saturday morning and meet us in Chatsworth;
  • go down with us on Friday, but leave on Sunday after the show; or
  • leave Saturday morning and meet us in Chatsworth AND leave on Sunday after the show.
Details are as follows:

Our first three “BOFI” events were so well received that we’re going to do it again! The tour will run from Friday, Nov 5th through Monday, Nov 8th. As before, this is an “open” event, so just in case the boss won’t let you take a Friday AND a Monday off, you can at least join us for part of the tour. The show is in Van Nuys, just north of LA proper, and features hundreds of French and Italian cars. The show alone is easily worth the drive, and we triple the fun with the tour down and back.

Fri 11/5/10 – We’ll meet in Livermore at 8:30am and depart at 9:00am for a cruise across the central valley, winding our way down the Sierra foothills to John McNalley’s Lodge for a great steak dinner, then an overnight stay on the beautiful Kern River.

Sat 11/6/10 – There will be time to sleep in a bit before we head south for lunch at the Mojave airport, where we can enjoy some good food and listen to the pilots on the restaurant’s PA system. Then, we’ll take some fun roads through the hills north of LA and drop into the San Fernando Valley for a two-night stay at the Radisson or Best Western.

Sun 11/7/10 – This is the day of the BOFI show (more informal than Concorso, with way more FIATs). After the show, those who are interested can try their hand at the famous Mulholland Drive, sip wine and eat cheese as the sun sets over the Pacific Ocean, then have a nice, but reasonably-priced, dinner.

Mon 11/8/10 – We’ll have an optional event lined-up for the morning; then, around noon, we’ll head north for lunch and take the dramatic Cerro Noroeste Rd (probably one of the best sports car roads ever!) along the top of a ridge in the Los Padres National Forest. We’ll return home on some of our favorite roads, with the option to bail onto Hwy 101 if we run short of time.

If you’re planning to join us, it’s time to reserve your hotel rooms.

Fri 11/5/10 – As we did last year, we’ll be dining at John McNalley’s Lodge on the Kern River (fantastic steaks). One option is to rent a hotel room at John’s Fairview Lodge, which is adjacent to the restaurant. Each room has two full-size beds and rents for $80. Another option is to rent a cabin, with one queen-size bed, one single bed and a pull-out couch. The cost for a cabin is $120. One member that stayed in a trailer was less-than-enthused, so you might want to stay away from them. Contact McNally’s at (760) 376-2430 or http://www.mcnallysfairviewlodge.com .

Last year, Maritza and I stayed at Chuck Richard’s Falling Waters River Resort. It’s located between McNally’s and Kernville, where we’ll be having breakfast the next day. I cannot praise their theme cottages enough. All cottages and suites are complete with cozy fireplaces and kitchenettes. All are tastefully accented with comfortable country furnishings. The cost ranges from $112 to $132, depending upon the view and number of beds. They also have Lodge Theme Rooms with no fireplace, nor kitchenette, for $79. Contact them at (760) 376-2242 or http://www.chuckrichards.com .

Other options:

Sequoia Lodge, Kernville – (760) 376-2535 or http://www.sequoialodge.net
Single Queen $99; Single King $109
Two Twins $109; Two Queens $129 to $169

Kernville Inn, Kernville – (760) 376-2206 or http://www.kernvilleinn.com
Two Twins $99; Single King $99
King Suite w/patio $119; King Honeyroom Suite $154.

Sat, 11/6/10 & Sun, 11/7/10 – On Saturday night, we’ll be dining again at the Radisson in Chatsworth, so one option is to spend both nights there, as most of us did last year. If you call the hotel and mention FIAT America, standard deluxe rooms are $85/night without breakfast or $95/night with breakfast for two people and include:
·Complimentary Wireless Hi Speed Internet access;
·One king or two double beds;
·Large work area;
·Separate shower and tub;
·Two telephones in every room;
·Cable channels –Nintendo; and
·Full-size iron and ironing board, hair dryer & coffee maker.

More info at: http://www.radisson.com/hotels/cachats .

Another option is the Best Western Carriage Inn in Sherman Oaks. It’s about two blocks away from Woodley Park, where the car show is held. The internet-only rate is $84.49/night, without breakfast, and includes:
  • Complimentary Wireless Hi Speed Internet access;
  • One king or two queen beds;Cable channels; and
  • Iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker & refrigerator.
  • There’s a Denny’s restaurant in front of the hotel.
Get the internet rate at http://www.bestwestern.com/ enter “Van Nuys” and “CA”, then select “Carriage Inn”. For the regular rate of $88.04/night, call them at (818) 787-2300.

After you make your reservations, please email me at steven_shonk*yahoo.com so I can add you to the list of participants. Please let me know which hotel you’re staying at each night and how many guests you’ll have with you.

If you want to drive any of the twisties with us, including Mulholland Drive on Sunday afternoon, after the show, email me at steven_shonk*yahoo.com and I'll send you the route map.

Regards,

Last edited:
Looking forward to seing you guys...

Saturday night looks like fun at the Radisson also... I just may stay the night too!

HA!

We here in LA-LA-LAND are just starting to make plans... we'll be in touch!

Thanks for the post, Steve...

Wish I were going...

I had so much fun last year. I will always remember that trip fondly. Have fun, I'll be thinking of you guys.

11838_1278368279974_1253028430_819487_3857096_n.jpg

11838_1276094583133_1253028430_813564_663723_n.jpg

Dang it. 2 things keeping me from going this year:

1) 86 will still be in the shop
2) at Sema car show same weekend

Next year (again!) I suppose...

Your room is ready...

Just let me know the flight number and time yur arriving at BURBANK and we'll come getcha!

My best friend Jay was asking about ya also...

I dunno Tim how you manage...

... to foul up your life like this...

What the hell can they be doing to an X that takes three weeks and why would ya schedule it over this PIVOT-ABLE weekend... of all weekends?

Secondly... you can fly to Vegas on Friday or Saturday and then head back to Burbank Sunday morn... we'll drop ya off after the show and or ya can catch a ride back with the Fiat America folks.

(If you can afford to take your X to a shop... you can afford a flight or two!)

See!

Leave me your CC # and I'll arrange the flights for ya!

Damn i will be out in Fontana the next weekend for a race some day I will make it to this show it looks awersome

You guys know how to do a trip I tell ya....:clap:

The Dallara has some minor issues but hopefully she will be there....:wall:

Back