A show of hands -- Bigfoot Strut Tower Doublers

Mark Plaia

True Classic
Anyone interested in buying any more of these things? I think that there were a couple of folks who missed out on the last run. Any more interest than that? I am looking at purchasing about 20 sets.

Here are some photos of the parts:
DSCN4948.jpg

DSCN4799.jpg

DSCN4701.jpg

DSCN4692.jpg

I will endeavor to keep the price as close as I can to the previous price of $79.95 for a set of four.

Ciao e grazie,

I've been humming & hahing on this one...

... have NOT installed the new mounts from Chris yet, and was thinking about these. Wasn't clear to me on Fiat-Plus what the $80 was for, I assumed all four plates, but you never know. :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced of the need for them, I don't see any evidence of tower distortion in mine.

I need to humm and haahh a little while longer, I think.

Last edited:
Hussein, try this......

Take a six inch straight edge and set it on the top of your strut tower as close to the opening as you can.

The top of the tower should be flat. If it is not, your towers are already distorted.

Let me know when you decide.

Ciao,

I need atleast one set

as I have deformed my towers recently... and I should get a backup set.

And remind me what bad things happen when they deform.

Then I can make up my mind.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Sometimes, not so much.

Mark,
Put me down for at least one set.
A new client project car just arrived Wednesday and it's strut towers are perfect and I want to keep them that way. I will be going to all the work to install coil overs & other suspension upgrades, and I will not want things to change down the road when he starts "really" using this baby.

Chris Obert

for me, it's mainly camber

I had perfect towers prior to an accident. now I have camber changes from corner to corner.

Now you may not notice a change if you went to these if you have decent towers or if the rest of the suspension is in bad condition.

i

would like a set as well but my car is not ready so if you make them i can wait until the next round. Are they steel?

Question, Mark....

IF you have slotted your upper strut mount holes to allow for camber adjustment, will these plates prevent that? Are they an exact fit below so that they would not allow for this?

That may be something to consider in your design or a 2nd pattern. Have the 3 holes elongated?

Yes, the plates are a pretty close fit....

All I can say is maybe.

Right now, the Bigfoot Strut Tower Doubler plates correspond pretty closely with the inner edge of the strut mount. On the rear, this is very close to the center-most wall of the tower. On the front, there is a bit more room.

That being said, I consider it much better to to change camber at the lower mounts, either by slotting the holes there, or using some of the offset bolts that C. Obert & Co. has available. That way you avoid difficult to undo changes to the body structure.

Ciao,

That being said, I consider it much better to to change camber at the lower mounts, either by slotting the holes there, or using some of the offset bolts that C. Obert & Co. has available. That way you avoid difficult to undo changes to the body structure.

Mark;
can you elaborate on this please
Thanks
Ron

Slotting the holes in the top of the strut tower.....

I took Tom's question to mean slotting the holes in the in the top of the strut tower, an integral part of the body structure. Once one slots those holes, the only way to go back to the way it was is to weld them up, which entails re-painting, etc.

Besides, this approach is on the wrong side of the trigonometry. Changing the camber at the top of the strut requires use of a long side of the triangle to make the change. The mounting bolts at the upright use a much shorter baseline. If I remember correctly, I once calculated that it takes something like .400 inch movement at the top of the strut for 1 degree of camber change.

Ciao,

Back