Muffler plans

rturchan

Baja Bob
Here is my muffler plan.
Install a fiat 4 to 2 early manifold and use the twin downpipe to connect to this MAZDA miata rear section. I tried to find a Volvo part, maybe Hussein can help here. Anyway I will test it first ( before I fabricate the pipes to fit properly) to make sure it is not too loud. I will use a stock j pipe and connect it to this while on a lift to test it.
miata1.jpg

miata2.jpg

The Mazda muffler is upside down in these shots, so the intake should be about the right spot. The outlets will cut and reweld to work.
Bob

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Looks like it should be an easy retrofit. Post vids even if you decide to go another route (someone else might like the sound)

So Bob... what are you really looking for here?

Dual pipes or the sound or ?

This muffler APPEARS rather bulky but I have nothing to compare it to. Several have used a Camaro muffler and found that to work well. From memory, it looks less bulky... I dunno what either sound like.

But hey... if its the symmetry you are after... then I have nothing else to add... I guess I kinda go for the purpose first and look to duals from an engine with two banks.

Whatever you choose, I know you'll install it well.

Sorry, can't think of any Volvo exhaust parts that would work for you here :rolleyes: Body side generic exhaust pins from the autoparts store should work fine, if you don't have the Mazda ones to repurpose.

Looks like it should not be a hard install - how does it compare width-wise? How much room between the hangers & the body?

If you're not running a cat, I would assume a short dogleg off the downpipe should work - is that the plan?

I would expect the Camaro - it's also larger I/O.

Here's mine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPMzjMom_Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPMzjMom_Q[/ame]

Sounds Good

Hussein
That sounds good...What do you have..the Camaro muffler...are you using the header also?
Gardie

NOT GOOD... I'd say GREAT! Mellow, deep...

... non-resonant and not fart-y. I'd say you made a great choice here!

Can ya give us the specs? (... again if I forgot...)

Re: Miata muffler

Hey Baha Bob. Looks to be a brilliant idea. Might just be the perfect muffler for an X1/9. Seems to be from Miata '06-'10?.

Have you actually the removed original exhaust yet and held the Miata muffler up to see if it actually might fit up there? Space is a little tight in there.

I hope you are intending to have the tailpipes exit through the grill.

Thanks, Doug

Testing in a few weeks

I have an extra J-pipe and will use it to test mufflers, while just welded up under the car. It will be on a lift for this process. That way I can test the sound without fully installing and fitting the muffler. If the sound level is good then I can install it properly.
The dual exhaust might go through the grille or underneath, depends on what works best.

Bob

Exhaust sound

Yes, I will video the sounds, original and modified. Might be a couple months till i get to it though.
bob

I'd like to know too! Back when I attempted an Uno Turbo install, I used a Camaro exhaust. Had a custom exhaust shop fab up the routing. I needed to keep the catalytic converter but wanted to be able to put in a "test pipe" when it suited me, so I had them set up the pipes to exit the rear grille instead of under the car. Anything like that going on here, or is the car cat-less to begin with?

Dave M... as in Dave Moore?

If that's you... you'll get no answer until you pay your past dues!

Where the hell have you been?

Not to hi-jack the thread...

but, yeah, it's me! I know I have a lot to catch up on, including all my past dues. I'll start a new thread over in the DF to sort of "re-introduce" myself.

Taking the slow boat

Still gathering parts. I am hesitant to get to it since the car will be down while I figure the muffler out. There isn't any snow here so it is always good weather for the X19.....
Bob

Back