Washington Post interviews Todd Rosenthal

I will talk to anyone

but they did not quote me on what Fiat stands for "First In Automotive Technology". I article was written before I spoke to the reporter.

They also mentioned the National Capital Fiat Club and Todd's implied preference for X1/9 ownership over the 124 Spider ...literally a 2:1 preference!

John O.

Last edited:
Ferrari In Affordable Trim

That's what Mac said FIAT stood for. :)

Liars, damn liars, statistics

The also mentioned the National Capital Fiat Club and Todd's implied preference for X1/9 ownership over the 124 Spider ...literally a 2:1 preference!

John O.

Small sample size. With you, the same summary would show you like MGs half as much as X1/9s, but equivalent to Lancia Scorpions or 128 wagons.

Maybe I have heard incorrect statements on Fuel efficency and sounds like the US ratiing is not official but aren't the 500's expected to do a little better than 33/MPG? My stock X did about that.

36 months 36000 miles???

That is not going to cut it in today's subcompact market with the Hyundai's giving 10 years 100K.

36/36 is a throwback to the old ways of US warranties and shows no back-up from the mfr.

I would like to see Fiat make it here but I have a gut feeling that their stay in the US is going to be very short if they cannot prove reliability.

As for X owners, most who own them if they weren't when they bought them they are certainly road side mechanics by now. Fixing the quirks of a Fiat X will not suit some chick who thinks she is going green by buying a cute little 500 and the thing suffers some freakish thing while tooling down the side streets.

Small sample size. With you, the same summary would show you like MGs half as much as X1/9s, but equivalent to Lancia Scorpions or 128 wagons.

Let's get the sample correct. I personally own a Bertone, Lancia Scorpion, and a Fiat 128 wagon. The other cars, MGB-GT, Fiat Spider, Scion XA, are the lady of the house's choice and not included a sampling of my preferences. Conclusively I prefer a transverse engine arrangement. Of my three cars, only the Bertone is running and driving. Gosh, there's sooooo much I could read into that.

Of the three, the Lancia has had the most money spent on it, the 128 wagon the least. I must prefer only the median priced car to be running? I don't know ...it's all too far gone to figure out what anything means anymore.:doh:

Just shoot me, Todd.

John O.

Last edited:
36/36 is a throwback to the old ways of US warranties and shows no back-up from the mfr.

That isn't what I recall the dealer telling us at the test drive. I thought it was 4 years/50K. I could be wrong. BTW, the Scion XA we bought 3 years ago only came with a 36/36 from Toyota. We bought the extended warranty to 6y/60k.

Personally, I am waiting for these two things to be offered in combination, 4-door with 57mpg TwinAir motor:
http://www.eurocarblog.com/post/3055/fiat-500-five-door-to-be-new-fiat-600
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/09/fiat-debuts-two-cylinder-85-hp-twinair-engine-in-fiat-500/

John O.

Last edited:
Hello all, first post.

In addition to the X, I own and daily drive a new Fiat 500 1.4 and have done for almost 3 years. I ordered her 2 weeks before they were officially on sale in England and have enjoyed everyone of my 60,568 miles so far.

To give you a feel for reliability I've had one issue with a hydraulic clutch seal in the first week of ownership. The dealer came and collected, apologised profusely and had it back to me the very next day. Since then I've had a microswitch under the tailgate handle go and that's it.

That said, the UK dealer network is notorious for being awful. There are more tales of woe and misery on the net than there are happy ones where Fiat's dealer network is concerned. You guys might get lucky and have a better experience.

I don't know what the deal is with roadside assistance in the US but over here Fiat gives you a years breakdown recovery free with the purchase and a discount on subsequent years.

To put these comments into perspective, I'm not your typical girly 500 driver either. My baby has done somewhere in the region of 75 laps of the Nurburgring on various occasions wearing a variety of rubber from Toyo R888's through to Continental Contisports. She's also been all four wheels off the ground round Adenauer Forst but that's a story for another thread. She's also hammered relentlessly around Bedford Autodrome, Brands Hatch, Mallory Park and Silverstone. She's also done 2 days at Spa Italia last year being chucked over ripple strips and sideways past tons of exotica around Spa-Francorchamps. She got us to the snow in Les Gets on the French/Swiss border last year perfectly fine. She's been to France, Italy and Belgium on long road trips and never missed a beat, even on scary, dodgy Belgian petrol.

I drive her every day on an 80 mile round trip commute, half highway half city and I'm not shy about giving her the beans, regularly see 90mph on the highway portion. I'm averaging 32mpg at the moment. That's down a little on what I used to get because I've fit a Quaife ATB limited slip diff to the gearbox. That exercise has cost me 4mpg but the trade off in handling is worth it. She slingshots out of corners and puts her power down in a much more useable way now. A 911 driver I took for a passenger lap was white as a sheet at the corner entry and exit speeds. His exact comment was 'if we did that in my car we'd be picking engine out of our arse right now'.

I'll freely admit that the warranty isn't great compared to the Korean dullsmobiles you can buy. But think about this. Every morning you're going to open your door and see a 500 in the drive. A little excitable ball of Italian enthusiasm just begging you to rev her like mad. Is that worth some spannering when the warranty runs out? So far, the answer is yes. :)

Ah, but, I see my name was mentioned again also...

Good try Todd...

I can't believe most ALL reporters never can get anything right! I gave up locally long ago with my hometown issues. They all should be NOVELISTS!

A warm welcome, Mr. Jnoiles...

... and thanks for the 500 review.

Articles I've read hear say there is a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty which ain't that bad... but indeed the Koreans are offering 100,000 mile warranties... because they really have to sell that crap. I've been there and done that when they were only 36,000 mile warranties and most of the three years the car was in the shop... having warranty work done!

Do show us sometime your Punto engine conversion in your X... and again, thanks for the 86,000 mile evaluation on the 500. Sounds promising!

Last edited:
Back