Steering Rack Project

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Upon discovering the steering rack in the 74' has the bushing come un-done problem. I got another good used one took it apart. Once the steering rack housing was completely apart, it got a trip to the Mill, the flat area is 0.140 deep, locating the actual center was "interesting" as this part of the rack is curved to fit the stock rubber bushing.

steeringrackmillflat134.jpg

There are two clamps with rubber bushings that mount the rack to the body. one of them has a semi anti-rotation flat.. which is now being flattened for a ackerman reducing spacer block to be made later.

As for the "good used steering rack".. it has the same plastic bushing come un-done problem.. These are the three stooges.

The plastic one with the three ears (tabs) broke off is the cause of many an X steering problem. The other plastic one is stock intact, the third is a replacement made from SAE660 bronze bearing material.

rackbushingsendview.jpg

rackbushingssideview.jpg

The Bronze bushing has a 0.829" ID, 1.181" OD, 0.880" long with three 0.125 dia holes drilled at 120 degrees apart, 0.20" from the end. The steering rack is 20.99mm or 0.8263" dia.

Here is how the holes are drilled:

Set up a rotary table with chuck in the mill and locate the edge of the bushing with an edge finder on the mill:
bushingedgelocating3420.jpg

Set the DRO to 0.200" on the X axis:
drobushingholeslocation.jpg

Put a drill chuck with 0.125 dia screw machine drill into the mill spindle and drill three holes 120 degrees apart:
drillingbushingholes.jpg

More later once the steering rack housing is painted..

Bernice

Keep us in the loop.

Bernice you have my attention as I can do this all at home, even turn the bronze bushings. I am wondering if you are inserting blind pins next or tapping and using long set screws with Loctite to maintain the posistion of the bushing.

Don't leave me hanging.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back