Ulix's windshield wiper fix

jimv

constantly frazzled
While I'm signed in and posting I'd like to put in a plug about the windshield wiper relay circuit from Ulix that was reposted a short time ago. I went out and made one about three weeks ago and it really works.

Highly recommended and easy to do.

Just like a new car (not a new X - a new car). Thanks Ulix.

JimV

Wasn't that Lezesig?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1165604508/WSW+Relay+Mod+or+WRM

One nitpicky thing, the "30" terminal is traditionally for input, the "87" terminal(s) are for output.

wiring2wh.jpg

nice job

Yves,

Your packaging looks great. I'm going to swap mine into a smaller box. Just to get it done I bought one about twice the size of yours.

As far as performance, when I use my windshield wipers with the relays I don't see the volt meter drop anymore.

The old wiring or connections must have some high resistance. I went through the grounds and any connection that looked questionable and cleaned and fixed them but it didn't make any real difference on the wipers.

With this it went from hardly moving on a dry window to very fast.

I'll see if I can get some video of it and try to post it.

JV

One of those,

improvements people can't believe until they actually see it. The mod avoids current going through extra wiring and the ignition switch and extra connectors. I used heavier wire when I did mine many years ago, did other "attempts" but the relays were the fix.,,,,,:dance: Yours is neater than mine Yves, as my relays are just sitting there. I went for a drive instead..:eat:

Jim,
I just use a plastic box cut to a smaller size and put the relay in the box:eek:. The only think you need it's ... take your time small winter project:nod: ;-)

img78171.jpg

img78181.jpg

Just completed this mod. Seems to help. Will have to test it next time it rains; which should be soon. THANKS!
Now to perform it on the Spider and two Scorpions...

I'm planning on this but I have a question.

Two wires need to be cut and one tapped (ground). Which two color code wires need to be cut. The ground was obvious.
Thanks,
Haz

pink and grey

Just like shown in the diagram, you splice in on the pink and grey wires.

Finally got it done.

A noticable safety improvement! Slow increased by 6 wipes and fast increased by 11. Highly recommended for all who occasionally get caught in the wet.

I don't see it

I see a bundle of wires going in to the box (relays) but I don't see the lines going out to the wipers. Where are they hiding in the picture?

The plug is under the box.

If you look at the location on your car beneath the location of the box in the photo, you will find a white plug that is clipped to the sheetmetal. Once you remove the black wrapping, the relays tap into the pink and gray wires. The black is the ground.

I hope this helps.

Suggestion: instead of cutting the wires just remove the terminals from the plug housing, make short jumpers using similar terminals, and then heat shrink over the exposed connections.

I haven't done this mod but that's the way I plan on doing it when I get around to it. That way you don't compromise the original harness at all.

Suggestion: instead of cutting the wires just remove the terminals from the plug housing, make short jumpers using similar terminals, and then heat shrink over the exposed connections.

I haven't done this mod but that's the way I plan on doing it when I get around to it. That way you don't compromise the original harness at all.

Just did this. No fancy box, just tapped the two relays together and double sided tape to stick to firewall. I did release the stock female ends from the connector, ran those straight onto the relay, jumper wires right back into the connector. Used the nearest strut plate bolt for ground. Seems to work, will test extensively in rainy commute tomorrow. Only had 10 amp fuse though. Here's hope'n voltage drop while wipers are on is lessened, bit faster wipes wouldn't hurt either though it was alright before.

Back