SAE660 Bronze Steering Rack update..

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
After a month long problem with the materials supplier, the raw hollow bar arrived.
sae660hollowbar.jpg

Then a trip to the band saw and lathe..
rawbarturnodinlathe.jpg

rawbarturnodinlatheto11.jpg

The finished proto bushings..
bushingsdonefirstfourhw.jpg

These are a different design from the one I previously posted. The bushing has been re-designed for much easier installation, and more tolerant to mis-installation.

This proto group will go out to a few "beta" testers for evaluation and feed back, if all goes well, the rest of this material will be off the the CNC shop for a small production run and available as a kit for all who are interested.

Bernice

Nice work Bernice!
I have to rebuild my rack very soon and I would definitely be interested in one of these. If you could let me know a cost and postage to Australia , I can deposit funds direct to your account or any other method you prefer.
Again great job and thankyou for taking the time to produce these
Regards Gerard.

Where does she get all those wonderful toys?!?!

It's always fun to see you bust out the big tools Bernice. :)

The re-design must be proven to work problem free, then it will be available. This is a version I made some years ago, it does have a proven good record, but I need to make sure it will be a good part.

Once they are ready, the official announcement will be made.

Bernice

Nice work Bernice!
I have to rebuild my rack very soon and I would definitely be interested in one of these. If you could let me know a cost and postage to Australia , I can deposit funds direct to your account or any other method you prefer.
Again great job and thankyou for taking the time to produce these
Regards Gerard.

Absolutely TOP CLASS work, Bernice......!!

Wow, great to see what can only be described as "VERY highly skilled workmanship"!! :clap:

Waiting to see how your 'evaluation exercise' works out!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Bernice,
Please put me on the contact list and notify me when these are available for purchase. I would like one. Thanks

It is to resolve play in the rack which causes erratic steering. The regular bush is made of plastic and it cracks and spoils the geometry. This one is built to last longer than the car itself probably...

Should sharpen up the steering considerably if yours is worn, cracked or even moving around in there.

Regards,

Mickey

Leaky rack, if this rack is older, it is possible gear oil is used as the lubricant. Otherwise, the lube is moly grease or there should be no leaks. Regardless, check to see if the boots are in good shape. If they are torn/damaged.. There will be problems.

The next post describes the problems with that plastic stock bushing.

Bernice

This is to resolve leaking out the right side of the rack? I have that issue.

Thanks - it's the original 120K rack in my '87, I don't know what lubricant is used in that year. I'll get under & check the boot condition, and check for play in the shaft.

Back