Steering Rack part 3.

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Spent the day replacing the steering rack on the 74'.

Made up some solid aluminum blocks (pre-cote treated, zinc oxide primer & painted)
for mounting in place of the stock clamps and rubber bushings.

The RH block, side view:
rhsteeringrackblockside.jpg

View of the RH blocks inside:
rhsteeringrackblockinsi.jpg

Side view of the LH block:
lhsteeringrackblockside.jpg

View of the LH blocks inside:
lhsteeringrackblockinsi.jpg

Top view of the LH blocks:
lhsteeringrackblocktop1.jpg

Steering rack with the blocks partly installed.
The flat milled into the pinion gear area is visible here.
steeringrackmillflatblo.jpg

Steering rack ready for install:
rackblocksreadytoinstal.jpg

NAS6306-24 bolts were used with the matching nuts.
These are larger than the stock
M8 bolts. And the bolt holes and slots were enlarged

After the rack was installed, string was set up and toe adjusted.
I'll try and put more images up later.

As for the rack that came out of the 74', it was completely original.
White paint on the nuts to indicate loosening were still on the nuts and mounting area. Steering rack bushing were original and totally wore out. The plastic bushing is dead which is the original reason to replace this rack and resulted in this project.

Now, the 74' is beginning to have steering feel of a proper exxe.
Next up, replace all the rubber suspension bushings and install those
coil overs.

Once the suspension is OK enough, I'll drop in a new engine/transaxle which includes doing a 5 speed upgrade.

:hmm:
Bernice

You spent the DAY doing this!!!

HA!

I was gonna say spending an entire DAY replacing a steering rack is my idea of FUN, FUN, FUN also... but WOW! What OUTSTANDING BRACKETRY! I don't think I could spend a MONTH attempting to do stuff like that and come even close!

I would also go along with Bob and say you are welcome to work on my ride anytime as well... but my car, as great and deserving as I think it is... doesn't WARRANT the quality of stuff you produce.

My proverbial hat is OFF once again. Thanks for kicking it all up a notch.

Ride quality?

Is there any increased harshness/vibration from the solid steering rack mounts? How much?

Great Job Bernice.
Why you don't leave in North? :thumbsup:
Your so meticulous ...Bravo

Had to drive the exxe a bit before answering..
There is increased road and steering rack feed_kick back, but IMO, not excessive. Not bad for a road car. The ride appears to be un-affected by this change.

There was a slight decrease in ackerman due to the geometry of the blocks, not any where as much as on the LeMons racer, and it is noticeable. The chassis turns-in feels a bit quicker than before.

A reasonable mod for those interested.

Bernice

Is there any increased harshness/vibration from the solid steering rack mounts? How much?

Nice work Bernice,

Are you willing to tell us how much the rack moved forward on the 74 and on the Lemons racer? I have always felt the x was a little vague at turn in and this might be the answer. Also did you measure and plot out the ackerman before and after or just go by gut feel?

Material

Good morning Bernice
Just wondering what material you plan to use for "replace all the rubber suspension bushings"? I have been pondering some high molecular density plastic.
Thanks
Deane
PS you must have access to aviation hardware.

Back