Getting the seats out w/Spring.

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
I've had some trouble getting the seats out of my 81X and read several threads here on the topic.

I finally had some success using an approach that I hadn't read about here so I'm sharing. My X has non-removable tracks and a spring to assist forward motion of the seat. Several folks recommended removing the spring before attempting to slide the seats off the track.

However, I was unable to reach under the seat with a screwdriver, needle-nose, or anything else in a way that would adequately get that darn spring out. When I attempted to push the seat forward to get it off the tracks, the spring would compress as the seat moved forward and then impede any further forward motion.

Since I had difficulty removing the spring, I pushed the seat forward until the spring was fully compressed. At that point I could reach under the seat and push the middle of the spring sideways so that it bent in a natural "U" shape (and out of the way of the two retention brackets that held it in place) while I pushed the seat with my other hand (and sometimes foot as well). This allowed me to push the seat forward enough that it came off the tracks where I could lift it up and easily access and detach one end of the spring.

Hope this helps someone :)

I think I ended up pushing on the end of the spring, first coil I believe, from the front, with a big flat screwdriver, pushed it off the holder, once I figured out the method it was easy. I didn't even try to reinstall them

I wrestled with that end of the spring and a screwdriver and just couldn't get it out of the retention clip with the seat installed. Had more success with the approach I used but to each his own, eh?

I like the idea of having the spring there and will probably try to reinstall it later using the reverse process I used if it goes well. If not, I'll ditch the springs...

I think I ended up pushing on the end of the spring, first coil I believe, from the front, with a big flat screwdriver, pushed it off the holder, once I figured out the method it was easy. I didn't even try to reinstall them

Honestly I agree, the spring helps bring the seat forward and it's better if it's there. If you devise an easy way to put them back on, tell me! (I never even tried). I think mine are lost by now anyway.

No real loss........!

......I think mine are lost by now anyway.

........I ditched those seat springs years ago!
About once every year, I just smear a LIGHT coating of white grease along the fixed seat tracks, move the seats back and forth a few times to spread the grease along, and bingo - the seats adjust easily again!
But I hardly ever adjust the driver's seat position, and the passenger seat position seems to suit whoever I'm riding with anyway! :love:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ol' tricks...............!

.......never die, young feller!!
They just get 'reassigned' by DELETE buttons!! :geek:

cheers, Ian - NZ

I think I either cut or broke the springs loose

threw them away, and haven't felt any sense of longing since. Maybe I don't have the patience, but I couldn't find any other way to unhook the springs.

Just lube the tracks once in a while in case I need to pull a seat.

Mike

OH... One last thing...

Take the seat rails on the bottom of the seats and OPEN them up a bit using a small adjustable wrench for leverage... This makes for somewhat of a "funnel effect" where they first must mate with the floor track.

It'll make guiding them back on the rails about 200% more easier! You also usually need to squish the seat bottom up against the center console to find the proper alignment to get them started as well.

And just in case ya didn't quite get it... NEVER waste another second with those springs! TOSS 'UM!

Back