valve shim tool question

John Barbieri

True Classic
can anyone tell me if this is a special tool specific to Fiat? or can any valve shim removal tool do the same job? If so, where can I get such a tool? I did a search and they all pretty much look the same to me... I've heard of other methods using screw drivers but I just want to keep things easy and simple by using the proper tool if at all possible.

TIA

valve shim tool question
can anyone tell me if this is a special tool specific to Fiat? or can any valve shim removal tool do the same job? If so, where can I get such a tool? I did a search and they all pretty much look the same to me... I've heard of other methods using screw drivers but I just want to keep things easy and simple by using the proper tool if at all possible.

TIA

Unobtainium

The SOHC Fiat engines require a specific tool. I used to have one, lost it, now can't find a source for a new one.

If you find a source, let us all know! Please?

Cheers,

Rob

SOHC Fiat valve tool

The tool is a SOHC Fiat specific tool. Here are some pictures:
IM002775.jpg

IM002772.jpg

IM002767.jpg

I bought mine from Chris Obert a few years ago. I do not know if they are available at this time.

Valve tool

I thought I once read somewhere that the valve tool for the SOHC Fiat's is the same tool as for the VW water cooled ("Rabbit") engine. But I do not know if this is true, can anyone confirm this? It seems as though the one for Fiat's has become hard to get?? While the VW tool is readily available and very affordable. Please let me know if the VW tool works on the X engine. Thanks.

John, in my opinion the tool is not absolutely necessary but it makes the job much easier to do.

I have a "snap on" brand tool that was sold as a VW golf/rabbit 8v OHC engine tool, works perfectly on the Fiat sohc.

If it wasn't almost freezing outside I would go up to the shed and get the snap on part number for you, though I've posted it on here before so a search might yield some results.

SteveC

SnapOn tool

I guess it must have been in one of SteveC's terrific write-ups where I read about the VW tool working for X's.
The link that LarryC shows is the same item that I saw when I looked into this previously. Seems like back then I also saw one for VW's from another tool company, like Lisle Tools??, for a very good price...but I don't seem to find it again.
Today's search also found this one, it's more expensive but it does look very much like the Fiat tool:
http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/kl2907.html

SteveC, some day when you happen to be at your shop, please check the part number and maybe even snap a pic for us. I agree with LarryC, the SnapOn site is not real informative. Thanks

freezing?, In Western Australia?

yeah Boddington gets pretty cold some nights....lowest I've seen is Minus 6.8 degrees C, and still minus 2 at 8am in the morning...so yes it gets cold in the West.

I'm at work for a week, but I'll get the snap on number and a pic next time I'm in my shed.

SteveC

How's your shed?

Steve, did you ever find that snap on tool?

Try living in Denver mate! With wind chill we get down into the -30s celsius here.

Cheers,

Rob

Agree with that, Steve.......!

.....yeah Boddington gets pretty cold some nights....

......I can certainly recall years ago, driving back late from the Great Southern Coca-Cola run around June-July, (no heaters in trucks in those days) and calling into see 'Tigga' at the Williams pub (near the Boddington turnoff) for one of his "special warm-up" rum and bitters drinks! :drink:
Man, that's a chilly part of WA!

cheers, Ian - NZ

I forgot to look :mallet ... but it's definitely a snap on tool that suits the VW 8v golf / rabbit engine ... remind me again this time next week when i'm home again and I'll post the snap on part number.

SteveC

here is a picture of both tools, vw and fiat, note the notch ground into the fiat one, was needed

I'll modify...

...whatever I can find that is close so it will work.

Seriously kicking myself for losing my genuine article! :mallet:

"BEEK"...

Thanks for the image of the two tools (Fiat and VW). With you having both, can you confirm if the VW tool works (well) on the Fiat single cam engines?
Thanks.

Back