Midwest-Bayless - Blade/Block Bumper Kits for X1/9s

Midwest-Bayless is proud to announce availability of complete blade-and-block style bumper sets, with adapter brackets for mounting to any 1975-88 Fiat Bertone X19 with North-American style safety bumpers.

The photos below are of Midwest-Bayless kit bumpers fully installed.

BUMPERS-2.jpg

Ditch those big ugly bumpers for a complete set of blades and blocks to get the 1974 / European look!

BUMPERS-8a.jpg

Lose some weight while you're at it; those factory bumpers weigh almost 30lbs each!

BUMPERS-3.jpg

The mounts slide into place of the bumper shocks and secure with the original bumper-shock bolts. A 10mm hole will need to be drilled in each fender to secure the end of the blade to the body.

BUMPERS-7a.jpg

Includes 16 major pieces and all mounting hardware. Four bumper blocks, four bumper blades, four bumper mount adapters, and four bumper blade hanger brackets.

bumper-set-x-1.jpg

Blades and blocks are made of heavy fiberglass resin and include integral steel mounting points for rigidity and longevity.

The blocks are symmetrical, fitting to any corner, and are 1.25" shorter than a standard NA-spec block, so they give a nice, slim appearance with textured satin black finish.

The bumper blades, and TIG-welded mounts and brackets are finished in satin black.

Black button-head hex-key fastening hardware and spacers included.

bumper-set-x-6.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in a partial kit, we offer a "Bumper Blocks and Mounts" set, which includes the bumper tube mounting brackets and blocks. These are the foundation of the kit, and conceal the hollow bumper mounts. You can add a "Bumper Blades and Brackets" set at a later date to complete the kit.

BUMPER-KIT-BLOCKS-MOUNTS-X19-a.jpg

BLOCKS-2.jpg

PLEASE NOTE! These are for off-road / show use only. These are not NHTSA or TUV certified and are not for crash safety protection.

For additional information, including extra photos, pricing and ordering:

BUMPER SET COMPLETE:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=286510095

BUMPER BLOCKS ONLY:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=286511495

BUMPER BLADES ONLY:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=286512095

Last edited:
Way to go Matt!

Thanks for keeping up with the trends.
Awesome job too! :thumbsup:

Very nice offering...

Way to go Midwest-Bayless! You guys are on the ball. I am sure that it is a top notch kit too.

Great!

I'm in love! I was going to do something similar using old US 74 blocks on custom made tube to fit in the bumper shock hole. You save me a lot of waste time... They looks great!

Daniel Forest
Montreal

How about replacement block for '74?

Can you offer the blocks only with the proper pattern to fit a stock '74 mount? I would think you could have the new blocks universal with both bolt on patterns? Or is the mounting plate for the block a different size?

The smaller block and having a clean replacement might be nice...

I was going to ask something similar, what about replacement parts for 74s? It's getting tough to find them in junkyards these days.

Uh oh

I know my son will want these. I'd better start watching for my grandkids showing up for sale on Craigslist. :)

Blocks....

Since the blocks in our kit are shorter than the stock 74s, this means the footprint is a different size, Even if the bolts were in the same locations (which they aren't), the bolt pattern would not line up with the holes in the stock 74 steel mounts.

However, you could modify your existing 74 mounts by shortening the top by about 1/2" and drilling new holes to match the mounting points in the blocks and they would work.

That said, we might be able to make original size reproduction 74 units from our tooling. Let me check that out.

-M

Way to go Midwest Bayless! It's great to see somebody stepping up to the plate and fulfill what's been a definite demand in the marketplace. :woot:

I predict we're going to see fewer and fewer of those big factory bumpers on enthusiasts' X1/9's.

These look totally amazing. If there was a true Euro style one (longer blades both front and back, I'd be ordering these from the UK right away.

It's a stunningly elegant, and simple solution you have masterminded.

Great work guys. Maybe you could do a kit with a repro front grille and repro 74 chin spoiler too, with a price incentive for the whole kit! ;-)

Regards,

Mickey (very soon to be the owner of a black 87, and transforming it into a 1300 look-alike, as my present lime green exxy is going to exxy heaven, sadly).

longer euro bumper blades

Fiat-X1-9-defilering.jpg

Hmmm.... I like them both. Short or long, but neither would stand out on my black 78. Maybe that is why the like bumpers were chromed?

Good point re the chrome. I have seen black cars with black bumpers though, and they look good to me.

I do prefer the longer blades but it would need a major redesign as the blade actually passes thru both sides of the block on the rears of a Euro 1300. And the blade passes thru one side of the block on the front, meaning the mounting bar/rod is no longer aligned with the strut tube slot on the car.

Anyway, I don't wish to in any way take credit away from a superb job here. Well done guys!

Regards,

Mickey

Euro vs. 74 vs. Midwest-Bayless

I personally like the Euro bumpers and think they are a classy look. They are an inherently complex design though, especially when trying to use a post-style mount.

The euro front bumper-post mounts and the front blocks have to be indexed to the angle of the car at that corner, making for a lot of individual components and extra moulds. When you look closely at set of Euro bumpers, you'll see 11 differently designed components.

4 different blades for each corner.
4 different body mounts for each corner.
3 different block styles LF, RF, and Rear

The North American 1974 kit is worse with 13 unique pieces.

4 different blades for each corner.
4 different body mounts for each corner.
4 different blade end trim caps
1 block style

We essentially combined the positive aspects of both the 74 and the Euro solution to make as symmetrical a kit as we could which requires only 9 uniquely designed pieces.

-M

Here's a sudden early morning (UK time!) thought...

I have 2 very fine (NOS) Euro rear bumpers already. Those are easy to fit to the car with a couple of bolts.

As you pointed out Matt, the fronts are a mare without lots of compromising hardware etc. So would it be at all possible for me to buy just the front blades from you, with blocks and mounting hardware?

Regards,

Mickey

Back