Are these the CD-31 Daytona's off the 79 X in MI

Yup...no doubt about it...

...those are my old wheels...which were on Michigan X.
Original caps...same town as dealer offering that X.

Looking for big bucks, too. I wonder how much he gave the dealer for them...and what kind of story he gave him ("...I'd LOVE to buy these for my X1/9..."). :whistle:

seems a bit high on the asking price but then again.. Rarity and availability come to pass..

Very true (at least for the opening bid) + they have the MMs fine craftsmanship touch for quality.

Huge sticker shock but look comparable to the sets of Campys BobT. sold a while back that both sold for huge coin.(2k)

3grand = :drink:

Those wheels look like the wheels on the Queen. Should I remove them and put them into storage as an investment?:excited:

Wow expensive

I would throw in my x for the buy it now price and you would get a spare cd31

Thx Greg...

12 year old resto on those wheels
illustrates benefit of using catalyzed primer/sealer and #435 silver,
which is accurate color match to OE color on Daytonas,
according to Lalo Ruiz.

Must admit I'm a bit taken back by asking price.

Wow Larry, I have sold more than 5 sets of these wheels and Never broke the 800 dollar barrier... And I purchased most sets for under 300. Keep in mind that there is a certain someone in Australia that will for now remain nameless that has several hundred sets of these types of wheels for Fiat. When he starts selling watch the price drop like a rock...

that has several hundred sets of these types of wheels for Fiat. When he starts selling watch the price drop like a rock...

Urban myth.

If you're referring the Michael Miller (Faza purchase) I highly doubt once (IF?) he starts selling it is going to be for bargain basement pricing.

Plus I don't think there were many wheels left that Al didn't sell off towards the end as he needed the cash. Remember he had a ton of auctions before his health went bad.

Cali + the NW is a boneyard for vintage wheels so not exactly a price point barometer for the rest of us.

Always a riddle Batman :hypno:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjay911
that has several hundred sets of these types of wheels for Fiat.

If you're referring the Michael Miller (Faza purchase) I highly doubt once (IF?) he starts selling it is going to be for bargain basement pricing.

Many of the wheels Al was selling were not originally for Fiats, but for BMW 2002/etc. . Al simply redrilled the 4x100mm bolt pattern to 4x98mm, & sold them as "for Fiat/Abarth cars". Back when we were on decent terms, I bought 5 sets of Campy's from him that had obviously had this done to them. Needless to say, I was not happy with not being informed about this beforehand. I knew getting a refund from Al would be virtually impossible, so I just kept the wheels since they did fit (with a little difficulty).

I think it was Brett M(?) that managed to snap this great tell-all photo:

DSCN0826.jpg

I agree, Greg. I don't think MM's prices will be anything resembling "cheap" if/when he decides to get sales going. :(

Last edited:
Just talked to the dealer this morning. He took the advice from me and others and pulled the wheels himself and it's his auction. Price will likely drop with time. Car is tentatively sold too. (not for the 8K asking but for $6,600, if it's not a breech of privileged info for me to report that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjay911
that has several hundred sets of these types of wheels for Fiat.

Many of the wheels Al was selling were not originally for Fiats, but for BMW 2002/etc. . Al simply redrilled the 4x100mm bolt pattern to 4x98mm, & sold them as "for Fiat/Abarth cars". Back when we were on decent terms, I bought 5 sets of Campy's from him that had obviously had this done to them. Needless to say, I was not happy with not being informed about this beforehand. I knew getting a refund from Al would be virtually impossible, so I just kept the wheels since they did fit (with a little difficulty).

I think it was Brett M(?) that managed to snap this great tell-all photo:

DSCN0826.jpg

I agree, Greg. I don't think MM's prices will be anything resembling "cheap" if/when he decides to get sales going. :(

Hmmm...I bought a set of those 4-spoke Campys from Al in 1976, for my then-new X. I wonder if mine were redrilled? He's gray-haired in this pic so maybe he started doing this procedure later?

Memories: I was only 23 at the time and completely trusted him as "the" source of FIAT parts. That trust began to wane when I later bought a 45/85 cam (among many other parts) from him that turned out to be a regrind with a smaller base circle; I didn't appreciate the fact that he hadn't told me beforehand. The Collotti 5-speed conversion I purchased from him came with instructions in Italian; when I asked him for some assembly tips he said "go find an Italian to translate it for you." :nana:

Live and learn, I did.

Back