Console lights/wiring

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
I've got no lights in my console switches. Now I know why...
The fiber optic cables all go to the central point of consolidation but there's nuthin' behind them.

No light, LED, or whatever is supposed to be there to illuminate them at the source.

So it's unclear to me what the original bulb connection and wiring looks like at the source of the optical cables.

I will probably build the LED mod to illuminate them but would appreciate a picture of what the wiring and connectors/connections SHOULD look like at the source of the fiber optic cables if someone can post one here.

There is a single wire...

Behind the console. It is a yellow wire with red stripe. This is the +12V to the lamp.
The chassis "hump" has a screw that attaches the single bulb mount behind the console. That is ground to the lamp.

You can use a male spade connector for the lamp (or lamps) you decide to use. Also, use a ring connector (blue) for the ground.

There is a post here on X-Web of an LED conversion. I'll try to find it, but I'm sure others will beat me to it.

Here are some photos

First pic shows my console area with wires/connectors and you can see the fiber optic connection point in the center. Nuthin behind it.

2nd pic showing the console switches as established by the PO. He added a wiper switch to the 5th position.

3rd pic shows how the switches were connected with some creativity by the PO. The dash light switch was not connected to anything. The wiper switch was connected, and the wiring was spliced plus a white wire added to the connector (and uh, a little singed) which went nowhere. It easily fell out of the connector as well.

Wondering what the correct wiring for these switches should look like...

20121201211824.jpg

20121201142534.jpg

20121201142647.jpg

What year X1/9

I noticed the same on my 1986 X1/9.

My optical harness only had one wire going to the dimmer switch. The other switches did not have a wire going to them nor did I find the slot where you pop in the wire end.

My optical wire harness has one wire going to the head light switch, one to the dimmer (which does not light up the other switches) and one to each of the window switches. The harness does not look like it was cut or modified.

I suspect that earlier versions has additioanl optical wires going to the other switches.

I am not sure if you can modify the current switch or need to replace them with the slot to add the wire ends.

This is one thing I want need to check on mine soon.

Stephen

What I found on my 87...

I noticed the same on my 1986 X1/9.

My optical harness only had one wire going to the dimmer switch. The other switches did not have a wire going to them nor did I find the slot where you pop in the wire end.

My optical wire harness has one wire going to the head light switch, one to the dimmer (which does not light up the other switches) and one to each of the window switches. The harness does not look like it was cut or modified.

I suspect that earlier versions has additioanl optical wires going to the other switches.

I am not sure if you can modify the current switch or need to replace them with the slot to add the wire ends.

This is one thing I want need to check on mine soon.

Stephen

Was a similar situation. I ordered one of the LED kits that someone (Jeremy Kruse, maybe) was offering a year or so ago. I ordered enough LED leads for all the console switches. But what I found was that they were internally lit (very dimly) and had no place for the fiber optics to connect to.

They must use a bit of the energy being supplied to the hot side of the switch to light up. And I mean a very little bit - they are dim as hell.

I wonder if switching to earlier switches is an option.

To the original poster, I do have the bulb and socket I removed, I'd be glad to send it to you if you want it.

Pete

Greg, I have a perfect late model harness

we can compare with, but I'm not in a good place to take photos tonight.
Let's sort this out in the coming days.
I'm on my way to Yves place tomorrow and won't be back til late, so let's sort this out Monday PM.

As always, thanks for your help, Bob!

Based on your description, I went thru my harness and found the missing bulb and socket -- it was wound-up and stuffed into the wiring under the glove box. I put it into the fiber optic socket and all is working although they are very dim. I will build an LED harness over the winter.

Would still appreciate seeing how the console switches should be connected. I think I'm ok on the hazard and defroster switches. But my console light switch is not presently connected to anything and the "mystery wiper switch" doesn't belong there and has the (modified) harness connected to it.

I'm on my way to Yves place tomorrow and won't be back til late, so let's sort this out Monday PM.

update...

Still a bit confused about my switch wiring and appreciate any guidance here.

Also built an LED replacement for my optical harness. Came out great and was easy to do. Very bright.

I purchased a bunch of prewired 3mm white LEDs on eBay for about 10 bucks, extended the leads, applied heatshrink and terminated them in spade connectors (my harness has a spade for 12v and ground).

Nicely done...

Kind of reminds me of days past when I make up one for the trailer queen.
Still got the wire, superflexible "blue" wire cut from assembly projects.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did putting mine together.
Again, nicely done. :thumbsup:

LED harness

I got an LED harness from Jeff van Dyke. I finally made the time to install the harness.

First, thanks Jeff for making them.

The LEDs illuminate the switches much more intensely.

I would recommend an LED upgrade over the stock bulb or putting a LED bulb on the stock bulk socket.

I will start another thread on this install .

Was a similar situation. I ordered one of the LED kits that someone (Jeremy Kruse, maybe) was offering a year or so ago. I ordered enough LED leads for all the console switches. But what I found was that they were internally lit (very dimly) and had no place for the fiber optics to connect to.

Hey Pete - I bought the same set from Jeremy. It did work great when I tested before I installed it, but also found that it was dim after installation. But then I checked my switches/housings for the connectors (I re-used the connectors from the fiber optics) and found that they were very dirty and needed to be cleaned for the LED to glow brilliantly. I have since ruined the set with my fancy new heat gun while attempting to heat shrink tubing over the tape as was originally built so now I get to start from scratch and build a new one. Hopefully it comes out as well as the one pictured above (nice work!)

Hi Bob. Putting the dash and console back together. Hoping you (or another xweb member can help me sort-out my console wiring).
- The Hazards work fine.
- The defroster works.
- The dimmer works.
- The Console switch is not connected to anything.
- The added wiper switch has some molested wiring (shown in 3rd post) Unclear what it's supposed to do.

What does the console switch do? Turn the cluster lights on/off?

Thanks, Greg

What's a console switch?

Greg, you're going to have to show me a pic of this.
The headlight switch controls the illumination of the Console.

Also, the LED's will stay illuminated on the push button switches until you do a 1-wire modification. (FYI)

I posted a photo in the 3rd post which shows the wires going into the console switches. Is there another photo which would be helpful?

Unfortunately, I don't know how it's SUPPOSED to operate -- only know how it does operate.

For example, my cluster lights are ALWAYS on although I can dim them.
The console lights come on when the headlights are on.
Really unclear to me what the additional wiper switch is wired to do.

Good news is all my LED's are very bright on the Gauges, console switches, HVAC controls, vents, etc. Very happy about that :nod:

Greg, you're going to have to show me a pic of this.
The headlight switch controls the illumination of the Console.

Also, the LED's will stay illuminated on the push button switches until you do a 1-wire modification. (FYI)

Greg, everything is as it's supposed to be...

Believe it or not, Fiat wired those lights to work exactly that way.
If you had a late model X, you'd note: If you remove the push button switch to examine the bulb holder,
it would be burnt-looking. The reason for this is because the bulb is always on!! :mallet: People don't notice
this during the day.

To fix this situation, do the following: (I believe all years)

Unplug the +12v in (feed) wire to the dimmer. (one is ground, one is +12 in, and one is dim "out")
I think it's an orange wire. Tape the end of this wire and label it for the next owner. :)

Make an 18 inch "spade connection extension" and attach one end from the cigarette lighter's backlight
(yellow/orange) terminal and attach the other end to the +12v in on the dimmer. (the wire you just
pulled off and taped)

That's all there is to it. Your lights will now operate as they are supposed to.

A word of caution:
You MUST be running LED lights at the console, as the dimmer won't handle the current to all these
bulbs if they are incandescent. Your dimmer will burn up in a short time if you're NOT using LED's.
For you, you're OK because I see you are using LED's.

Back