JJs Mystery Part Thread/game show

jjay911

True Classic
I have a sneaky suspicion that I will be asking lots of questions about parts I find in my Stash... No reason others cant use this to I.D parts. It could be fun... Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

IMG_4354.jpg

It helps of you show the writing on the relay. I'm no expert, but since it doesn't look lie a Bosch Relay, I think it is just a relay used for an alarm.

Ed

Thanks for playing Ed... I think you are on to something.. Lets try some switches for our next challenge.. I cant tell you what half of these are for because like I have tried explaining to a few folks before, I dont speak Emoticon. English is easier...:wall::wacko::censored::mad::)

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

I think what the diagram is showing...

is that it is definitely a relay, but not a conventional one.

A conventional one energizes both 87 and 87a when turned on, and neither when turned off.

This one energizes 87a when turned off, and 87 when turned on.

There's a name for this type of relay but I can't remember it.

Pete

It's a standard Bosch style single pole double throw (SPDT) relay. It has a normally open contact and a normally closed contact.

you can

use any of different names: SPDT (single pole double throw) or NO- NC (normally open, normally closed), Form C - take your pick.

Lets try some switches for our next challenge.. I cant tell you what half of these are for

Left to right and top to bottom:

Heater fan; 4-way hazard flasher; Instrument panel lighting (three positions: dim, dimmer, off); dome light on (useful for shortening your battery life); rear window defrost (optional item); and unused switch intended to perplex the innocent (also optional).

Last edited:
Top to bottom, left to right:

Heater fan; 4-way hazard flasher; Instrument panel lighting (three positions: dim, dimmer, off); dome light on (useful for shortening your battery life); rear window defrost (optional item); and unused switch intended to perplex the innocent (also optional).

That last one is hysterical because when I opened it all up there was nothing attached to that last one...LOL....It is my ejection seat switch now.....:italia:

Re: 3-dot switch

That last one is hysterical because when I opened it all up there was nothing attached to that last one...LOL....It is my ejection seat switch now.....:italia:

The last switch with 3 dots on it is for the (optional rectangular Carello) front fog lights.

As others have said about the relay...

The relay most commonly found to operate horns,auxiliary lighting, as well as the headlight relay mods are usually SINGLE THROW - SINGLE POLE relays... or "automotive relays"... if you are in Radio Shack, and usually designated "30A"... for 30 amp applications. Other common relays are 40A's and you can figure that one out.

Lastly, there are all sorts of other combinations including DOUBLE THROW- DOUBLE POLE and on and on...

Well I broke one pulling them apart to restore this car..( rear window defrost (optional item))

If anyone has one let me know... I keep breaking the little plastic bits with my ape hands....:hmm:

who can guess this one.....

It's the injector rail/manifold cooling air duct for the FI X1/9. Fits between the two FI intake manifolds, & the orange rubber part connects to the air duct on the removable engine access panel in the rear trunk. It's shown upside down & on its back in your photo (compared to how its normally seen when mounted on the engine).

Last edited:
Back