X1/9 Motor build

Bottom end work.

I made some good progress over the last few days.
The pistons cleaned up pretty nicely.

The piston rings were totally gummed up. This oil was not changed very often.
New rings.

Flex hone.

New main bearings.

I plasti-gaged all the bearings and they all checked out. Lots of pre-lube, everything went pretty smoothly.

Great job. Very happy for you. Brings back memories from 1995, when I rebuilt and enhanced my beloved 1300. Keep posting your progress, your engine is looking super nice. :headbang:

So when you sell this car the next owner is going to be very happy with everything done so well on it. Unlike the way you received it...

Nice work. I need to buy more tools, never thought about owning a flex hone.

nice work, coming together!

From the pictures that might be the dirtiest interior block and most corroded water jacket I've ever seen! (outside of some antique auto parts that were outside).

Did you have a chance to pressure wash the inside of that water jacket to get the loose corosion off?

Re: water jacket rust, that was the first thing I noticed, too...wow!

Truthfully, I think Fiatpwr mas made a correctable mistake, by working from outside in rather than inside out. If the bores only needed a light honing then I would have done that first, then taken the block to an automotive machine shop for hot-tanking which would have done a better job cleaning the exterior, not to mention removing the fine grit from the interior from the honing process, not to mention taking a good bite out of the water jacket rust.

If reassembly has not started, he can still do it, at the low cost of having to repaint the block.

Oops just looked over the pix again, noted that internal assembly is complete and Fiatpwr did not replace main bearings. Even if on the tightest of tight budgets, I just don't understand not replacing the bearings!? Also, the honing pattern does not have the recommended cross-hatch which may affect oil consumption.

Doh!

Somehow I read this "I plasti-gaged all the bearings and they all checked out." and thought he meant that they checked out so no need to replace. My bad!:wall::censored::wacko:

Water Jacket....

Yeah, it's pretty nasty but not toast. My plan is to get the internals buttoned up and deal with that after. Hot tanking can't be done conveniently enough in my area. I'm going to just blast it out with a pressure washer after I get the head and sump on. Maybe some vinegar?

Since I am not tanking it, I didn't want any stray matter to get into the low end.

Matt had to weld up one of the water jackets in the head as well. There was no coolant in this motor when I took it apart. Just California coolant, i.e. tap water. :wacko:

As for the nasty oil stain, I cleaned all the oil passages, I figure a few oil changes will do the trick. I should have photo'ed the rings. Worst I have ever seen.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Did I mention the windage tray is broken as well as one of the bolts?
Back to the garage for me. Where's my screw extractor?:music:

Nice!

That is a nice project. I'm a few years from retirement and I think a project like this will be on top of my to-do list.

BTW, give your wife a hug for letting you put the motor in the house!

Back