Sunvisor restoration

myronx19

True Classic
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my newly restored sunvisors with you. I was going to buy a pair from Henk, but opted to try something different.

The supplier cannot do it with mirrors - and that doesn't really bother me. They also can't mimic the heat sealed look, which again - not an issue. They do binding around the perimeter and install nice chrome terminators that look good. Visor material is automotive grade vinyl. They re-use the original visor hardware and overall, I'm very happy with them! Both units cost me $70 + shipping.

Hope this helps someone looking for visors!

http://www.autosunvisors.com/restoration.htm

I did the same

They do very nice work and I'm happy with them.
But the look is slightly different from the originals and no mirrors.
Also they are padded and heavier than the originals so the hinges must be very tight for them to stay in position.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably buy the repros from Henk.

But these are still much much better than floppy, deteriorated, deflated originals that need rehab :)

img20111223094619.jpg

Last edited:
I just got mine from Henk today

and am very well pleased. Better than new quality, and now I have visors with mirrors on both sides. He always provides the highest quality stuff. I got my center console from him, keyrings, visors and assorted other things. It's like cocaine, the Henk Addiction.

Do I really NEED the luggage bags...? well, maybe...

Sunvisors

Hi Myron. Thanks for posting this. Just what I have been looking for.

Can I assume they put new foam inside ? It seems my foam has just turned to powder.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes - they put new foam inside and I've installed one so far. Fitment has been pretty good and I didn't have to tighten the screws too much.

I can't wait to get out in the sun ;)

I believe the vinyl itself is foam lined - and overall, not super puffy. I was afraid that it would be much more puffy than original, but I'm more than happy for the price.

Myron!

So good to see you (albeit only in text form). Planning any trips to Detroit?

As to the sun visors, I restored mine with a razor blade, some vinyl adhesive and some head-liner material (to replace the foam). Plus a little lacquer thinner and a heat gun.
534397_446929355334561_1990707881_n.jpg

Hi Paul!

Good to see you too! I haven't been back to the big D in a while :( business doesn't take me there at the moment, but I'd love to go back soon and meet up with you for a beer!

Your visors look really good - and I have no doubt that you used precision in cutting them open. I was too lazy to perform surgery on mine, and I was tired of bits of foam coming out of the visor - I'm happy.

If someone was really inclined, I guess an aluminum die or a perimeter heat sealer would work - just add new vinyl, seal, trim and go! But I doubt that people will pay the cost to justify the tooling. Hmm, ever visit a sunvisor manufacturer?

Magna started off by making a sunvisor bracket for GM.. humble beginnings.

Back