Motor Mount Rehab

socalx19

True Classic
I'd like to restore these mounts, but couldn't turn up anything on a search here. Anyone have links or a DIY on how to go about giving these a refresh? The transmission mount looks fine, but the other 2 need help.

Motor mounts

I've used the snail mount bush that Obert supply's.

Without a press it took some work to get the old one out and the new one in.

Erk

It is possible to restore old mounts with new bushings, but you need somebody to make the new bushings.

In Finland T:MI VILLE-PEKKA makes polyurethane engine mount bushings, but shipping to States might be quite expensive.

http://www.elisanet.fi/ville-pekka/index.html

Ah that's exactly what I need. Thank you.

I've seen the mounts available without a core exchange - but I have 2 sets of these and I'd like to learn the practice of restoring them and have the back up set ready to swap in when the need arises so I don't have to source them again. And if I can keep the bushings onhand, even better.

Rudy,

I just purchased a bushing for the snail mount from Chris Obert. Now I just gotta get it in. I don't recall if Chris had bushings for the dogbone or the entire mount, but you might check there.

Mike

Dave sold the business

Dave Dutton sold Applemotors to his long time mechanic Doug.

Doug does not do email, but I believe Dave has the same address active and can be found in the workshop from time to time. If you email Dave directly he might still do the bushings.

Does apple motorsports still fix them up?

Seems neat their page talks about different urethane durometers... (my inner skateboarder perks up anytime I see the words 'Urethane' and 'Durometer' in close proximity!)

http://www.applemotors.com/urethane.htm

Thanks for the awesome responses. Now I have some options to explore. I like the references to the other forums. I can't get a measurement on those mounts until Thursday though (traveling this week) But in the meantime I'll do a little research on all the info provided. Thanks guys.

Inner Skateboarder....

Hey, my inner skater perks up when I hear those words too! It got me to thinking (I'll warn you I have strange ideas at times) that maybe you could modify some skateboard wheels to become new bushings for that dogbone mount. If memory serves me, when I was a kid you were able to buy wheels in various diameters, but also in different compounds or hardness! So maybe throw that wheel on a lathe or makeshift device and grind it the proper diameter & press it into the old mount...as far as the inside of the skate wheel where the bearings would usually be, I'm not sure yet. But hey....the gears are turning and it's something to think about......:hmm:

Another thought

I purchased the insert from Obert - have not received it yet, but I believe it is the best way to do the snail mount.

For the dogbone, I'm looking at urethane bushings (ala skateboard wheels). Various sizes can be sourced on the internet or e-bay. The only way I can see to install a hard bushing would be to slice of one side of the dogbone. I don't think that would be a problem; I could even spotweld a heavy washer to the inner bushing, but I don't think it would be necessary. Another idea would be to drill through the center of the dogbone into the urethane and insert a screw or roll pin to make sure the urethane doesn't slide.

My transmission mount is for the 5-speed and has the tab for the exhaust mount. This mount is substantially higher cost than the mount without the tab. I believe the two mounts are interchangeable, and since my exhaust has been modified I don't need the tab.

I plan to fill the gaps on both the transmission mount and snail mount with 3M Windowseal to stiffen them up and keep grease out.

I appreciate advance thoughts, and I'll post my results when I get there.

-- Mike

Back