Yves

True Classic
Hello,
  • This winter I have done several projects
  • Transmission rebuilt,
  • Disassemble cam tower and painted
  • Euro blade conversion bumper
  • And break time in march
There is some pictures of my different winter projects.
In the late fall I started to rebuild the transmission I got from New Hampshire ... He will recognize himself ... Thanks
My original transmission ... have some issue with synchro third, four also the reverse was little bit problematic
img3709tf.jpg
[/img]

When I'm working on
img3592r.jpg

img3615gf.jpg

Sure I clean everything , replace seal crank... etc. Install a new clutch and throw out bearing ... the pressure plate have been replace ~ 4000 miles ago

img3703zv.jpg

img3705r.jpg

img3711om.jpg

Just before to put it in the car
img3710dt.jpg

img3714g.jpg

Trany done
img3713jq.jpg

I disassemble the CamBox painted and finish with a clear coat
img3725fs.jpg

Reinstall in the car
img3727yn.jpg

Euro 74-75 blade bumper conversion
Rear/Front bracket are from Doug.
The Doug Euro bumper bracket so made it easier to do the conversion.
If you want to do the conversion don't miss he's bracket sale from Doug.
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/19361/
img3735b.jpg

img4058cw.jpg

Refresh bumper block
img3739o.jpg

Handmade aluminium bracket for the 78 grill
img4044eq.jpg

img4045bx.jpg

img4043hl.jpg

img4053h.jpg

img4059d.jpg

img4063au.jpg

img4064ajpg.jpg

img4069lq.jpg

img4071e.jpg

img4072pc.jpg

In March I take a break time with my wife at Cuba.
The resort
img3998n.jpg

img3969b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done! Next winter I think I am going to tackle my transmission (has the same problems that yours did) - any advice? Also it has the original clutch in it (still good after 26 years), but it will be replaced.

Wish I could do that too...

I'm still awaiting the chassis to get back. :wall:
Beautiful work as always Yves!. :thumbsup:

WOW! Makes me wish we had a "winter" here in Southern California.

Ok, won't get too carried away on that...

Congratulations on some awesome work!

Beautiful work Yves!

I will be in Montreal from Tuesday night to Sunday morning for a work conference, would love a chance to see your X and to meet.

Cheers,

Rob

Ricardo,
Thanks, I try to do my best.:innocent:

Strangepod,
I'm very happy I inspire you, for the trany it's not so complicate, take your time and read the documentation before.:geek:

Bob,
I'm sure when you will have back your chassis, all assembly's will be ready to go in.:king: You're the king!

Rudy,
Are you sure you want Winter? ... but it's not so bad, we have time to work on it.:laugh:

owexonline,
Sandblast cabinet! yes I want :nod:

Dom,
Burlington and Quebec is not so far but my garage have only 1 place:wall:
Cheers

Rob,
Yes it will be a good idea to meet,
I will PM you :shh:

Thanks to all for the good words:headbang:

Yves,

As usual, you have done a masterful and first class job. Congratulations.

I think you need to make a trip to Southern California to give us your tremendous inspiration. I hate to think what you and Ricardo could collaborate to do. It might be intense.....like matter and anti-matter coming together. It would definitely be loud and like nothing else the X 1/9 world has seen before.

My best,
Mike

If my wife see that post she will ask me why we don't go to California:eek:

As usual, you have done a masterful and first class job. Congratulations.

I think you need to make a trip to Southern California to give us your tremendous inspiration. I hate to think what you and Ricardo could collaborate to do. It might be intense.....like matter and anti-matter coming together. It would definitely be loud and like nothing else the X 1/9 world has seen before.

My best,
Mike

Looks good but...

How does the transaxle work now? Better?

Almost makes me wish we had a proper winter season so I could take on larger projects like this. Almost.

I made it... Yes

My original trany had some problems.

three and four synchro really tired.
On red light I put the car in neutral waiting the green light, when I try to put in first, 50 % of the time I would need to fight to shift in first gear and many time I need to put back in neutral and release the clutch and try again ...
Similar for the reverse.

The "lollopop" was replaced by a new one, after trying many adjusting combination of the shift linkage, the motor mount transaxle was replaced by a brand new . All those actions never fix anything, so I decided to rebuilt the transmission.

To rebuild the transmission I:
  • Replaced all bearings
  • First gear + sliding sleeve
  • Third and four + sliding sleeve +Sychro ring
  • Synchro ring 5TH
  • Reverse gear
  • Shift Fork 3rd/4th
  • All gasket /seal

Now after ~ 200 miles the transmission run so well, no issue everything is smooth in all gear, no rattle, no leak.

I made it Yes!:excited:

Holy cow!

Spectacular, Ives. That transmission job is magnificient. My transmission has a crunching in first gear, everything else is perfect. I got the synchros from Matt and plan to fix the problem in the following weeks. Please tell us how you obtained that incredibly beautiful exterior finish in the tranny. By the way, the rest of the car is just as great. Finally, How can I install the euro park turn signal lights in my US version bumper? I see your car has the white and amber lights in your car. I have them but they are not a direct interchange.

Trany Finish

Ellychiprout,
The exterior finish of transmission is two coats of "Walter Zinc-100" and two coats of Glisten PC (Must use Activator) from POR 15 clear coat.
img4075z.jpg

For Euro park turn signal you need a special bracket, see pictures.
img1420dk.jpg

img1421la.jpg

img1423kv.jpg

Yves

Back