Insertable Wiper Motor Relay Harness

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
Since my re-spray has gone from the estimated two weeks to nearly two months now, I'm running out of projects I can do at home.

I like the idea of insertable relay wiring harnesses as recommended by Bob Brown. So I made one for my wipers. I pulled apart my wiper motor and assembly to clean and lube it. The pivoting control arms were a little rusted and binding but all cleaned up now.

Some electrical tape on the wiper motor connector, so I removed it and found some stripped wires there. More work by the PO (argh).
20130526165107.jpg

So I shortened the wires by ~1 inch, stripped, crimped, and soldered some new pins to them and reinserted into the connector.
20130526173723.jpg

Then I got busy on the relay harness. I opted to connect all the grounds and will find a fresh new grounding point in the frunk for them. Hope it works! I've already done the brown wire mod and will add insertable headlight relay harnesses so I hope to have turbo wiper speeds in the unlikely event I ever have to use 'em ;-)
20130526202310.jpg

This is a great mod. I too did the brown wire and headlight mods decades ago, but only recently did the wiper mod. What a drastic improvement!

Wow! Nice work Greg!

I haven't shown a photo of mine yet. You beat me to it!
Truly nice work. Thanks for sharing! :headbang:

Test run completed

My 81x electricals have generally bee working well from the start once I checked my grounds and fixed some PO mods at the fuseblock.
However, I implemented the brown wire mod. Wipers got a little faster and the headlights a little brighter (I think).
Last night I installed my insertable headlight harness. Brightened the headlights up a little more and reduced the voltmeter drop.
Today I installed the insertable wiper harness. Wow. What a difference. Wipers are A LOT faster and the voltage drop significantly reduced. I highly recommend this one.
Next up: starter motor relay and then I'm probably finished with electrical mods (unless I replace my vintage low power radio with something else).

See videos below for more info:
http://youtu.be/n0Aa-NFMxIc
http://youtu.be/ESVtC2w8ms4

Today I installed the insertable wiper harness. Wow. What a difference. Wipers are A LOT faster and the voltage drop significantly reduced. I highly recommend this one.

We have been hitting the same job list. :nod: Where did you tap power for the relay?

We have been hitting the same job list. :nod: Where did you tap power for the relay?

I ran two 10ga wires from the positive battery terminal through the firewall into the fuseblock area.
1 wire was allocated to the brown wire mod.
1 wire was allocated to a secondary fuse block for up to six circuits.

I tapped the secondary fuse block to power all my auxiliary relays. One circuit for each of the following: Left headlight, Right headlight, relay, and (future) radio. I ran 12ga wires to the wiper motor connector area of the cowl, and to each headlight pod. I can take some photos tomorrow if that helps.

From what I see, this is an absolutely necessary modification for every X that is driven in the rain. My car also shows the same severe voltage drop when the wipers are used. I will definitely be doing this modification to the Black Beauty soon. Thank you very much.

This is terrific Greg,

I came upon your wiper relay mod after searching the forum for a solution to the massive voltage drop I noticed when I was forced to use my wipers during an unanticipated rain. Then I saw the YouTube video. Holy mackerel, what a difference. For those among us, all of whom have this problem yet might not have the necessary skills/knowledge to do this kind of work, it would be great to have a plug and play solution. I know it's an imposition, but I wonder if you'd be willing to assemble these (for a fee obviously) for forum members if there were enough interest? Alternatively, maybe post a parts list and assembly instructions or video for folks to follow (one that assumes none to limited experience/knowledge). What you've done seems really elegant and would be a welcome service. Thanks for sharing here what you've already created. Cheers. Mike

Can't remember who posted a Diagram for this Mod, but luckily I saved it. Just did My version, last night.
With this installed and NEW cabin weatherstripping, I no longer fear getting caught in the rain.
The U8 6 Pin Connector from M-B came with short pieces of wires, in the approximate colors so I could continue the proper colors with the Jumper Wires.
ll91JM.jpg

Didn't have a Project Box on hand, so I had to Improvise, for now. ;):D
zlj1xR.jpg

Rod, I came across an inexpensive box on eBay that holds both the relays and the fuses for any added circuits such as these mods. Up to six new circuits; so you can do the headlights mod, wiper mod, starter mod, heater blower mod, and another one of your choice. You will have to wire it accordingly, but it is a neat package that could be mounted pretty much anywhere and looks great. Here is a link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...Holder-Insurance-6-ATC-ATO-Fuses/292441501996

Has anyone thought about putting the relay's behind the insterment cluster inside the cabin?

The ‘insertable’ part of this and the original intent is that it could be removed keeping your pristine antique car unsullied by the salacious hands of a moder.

I think most are pleased with the compact and isolated wiring change this way of doing the mod provides but I see your point, most of us are unlikely to remove this due to the reality of who would want to go back to slow wipers?

I guess the question is where exactly one could pull the wires out of the loom a bit and get them connected to the relays. Clearly you don’t need much extra wiring length to accomplish this if its permanent.

So, good question and I think we are all salacious moders so there is your license to change this to what you want it to be :)

Can't remember who posted a Diagram for this Mod, but luckily I saved it. Just did My version, last night.
With this installed and NEW cabin weatherstripping, I no longer fear getting caught in the rain.
The U8 6 Pin Connector from M-B came with short pieces of wires, in the approximate colors so I could continue the proper colors with the Jumper Wires.
Didn't have a Project Box on hand, so I had to Improvise, for now. ;):D

Nice, you will be much happier with the results, faster sweeps in inclement weather.

The project box, umm, might be a fire hazard :)

Back