SOLD OUT - Replacement X1/9 Brake Fluid Reservoirs

Jeff Stich

True Classic
Substitute X1/9 Brake Fluid Reservoirs

Following the thread(s) here concerning the ever-present problem of cracked original square-type X1/9 brake fluid reservoirs, I've spent the last few days scouring through 7 different local junkyards to find the parts needed for a small production run (sic) of a truly "plug & play" replacement reservoir for both the early & late model X1/9's. Here's what I was able to come up with:

Using a modified BMW brake fluid reservoir & a mix of various caps, retainers & fluid strainers/tubes from older BMW & Mercedes cars, I've assembled an easy, direct-swap unit to replace the X1/9 reservoir, with cap options to suit the 1500 (with fluid sensor & wiring terminals) & the 1300 (no sensor/wiring), including a cap/bezel color choice for each type (color options are limited to what I currently have on hand, so it'll be a first-come, first-served basis for colors).

This is what the BMW reservoir looks like after being modified to fit the X1/9:

This unit fits directly into the original X1/9 reservoir mounting bracket; no further cutting, drilling, sanding, filing or any other fabrication is needed.

** - The single "caveat" of using this reservoir is that the 2 brake hose outlet ports are smaller in diameter than what is normally used on the X1/9, & the BMW hose is a small-diameter hard black plastic vs. the larger rubber/neoprene hose of the X1/9. To solve this issue, I've left a short section of the plastic hoses intact on the reservoir ports, & (in theory) one should be able to slip the X1/9 brake hose onto this & then clamp into place. (I'll try to find some Fiat-size brake hose & get some exact measurements of each, then post my findings here).

Now for the actual FOR SALE part of this post... :pimp:

I have 5 of these reservoirs available & ready to go, with several cap options available depending on model (1300/1500) & colors desired. The X1/9 reservoir mounting bracket is not included, you'll need to use your existing bracket or find one elsewhere. As these are all previously-used reservoirs, their coloration will vary, as shown.

For the 1300 X with no cap-mounted fluid sensor/wiring, the reservoir will come with a standard cap & a small mesh/strainer insert (to keep out any debris when you have the cap off for inspection or refilling fluid). The cap can either be black with yellow logo, all black (no yellow) or all clear (reservoir-colored), cap availability is limited to the number shown:

1300:

For the 1500 X with the cap-mounted fluid sensor/wiring, the reservoir will come with a 2-spade type cap (with float mechanism) & a tall float tube insert (to keep out any debris when you have the cap off for inspection or refilling fluid). This 2-spade cap was sourced to provide ease of installation without any wiring mods, but I can also furnish the original cap/float unit for this reservoir if desired (you'll need to install 2 spade connectors onto the wire pigtails of the cap connector, in order to connect to the X1/9 wiring). The cap retainer bezel/surround will come in your choice of either black or clear (reservoir-colored):

1500 Black:

1500 Clear
:

The price for each reservoir & your choice of cap will be $37 (shipping cost already included), payment via Paypal preferred. :italia:

Last edited:
1500 reservoir

I will take one for a 1500 with a black cap. what address shall I send the money to via pay pal.
Thanks,
Larry

+10....

....on the "Da Man"-ness of Jeff:)

Excellent work!

Like I said in the workshop thread, if we had awards here on XWeb I would certainly nominate your for one:sun::worship:

Brake reservoir

May I ask what tubing you used for increasing the barbed fittings? I would assume you have to use Tygon 2375, but that is clear. Glenn

Re: tubing

May I ask what tubing you used for increasing the barbed fittings? I would assume you have to use Tygon 2375, but that is clear.

I did not add any tubing, I simply left the existing BMW black tubing intact (still connected to the hose ports) & cut it 1"-1.5" from the end as shown:

xbr02a.jpg

From original post:
** - The single "caveat" of using this reservoir is that the 2 brake hose outlet ports are smaller in diameter than what is normally used on the X1/9, & the BMW hose is a small-diameter hard black plastic vs. the larger rubber/neoprene hose of the X1/9. To solve this issue, I've left a short section of the plastic hoses intact on the reservoir ports, & (in theory) one should be able to slip the X1/9 brake hose onto this & then clamp into place.

Jeff...

I'll take one for a 1300, whatever colors, thanks!

Following the thread(s) here concerning the ever-present problem of cracked original square-type X1/9 brake fluid reservoirs, I've spent the last few days scouring through 7 different local junkyards to find the parts needed for a small production run (sic) of a truly "plug & play" replacement reservoir for both the early & late model X1/9's. Here's what I was able to come up with:

Using a modified BMW brake fluid reservoir & a mix of various caps, retainers & fluid strainers/tubes from older BMW & Mercedes cars, I've assembled an easy, direct-swap unit to replace the X1/9 reservoir, with cap options to suit the 1500 (with fluid sensor & wiring terminals) & the 1300 (no sensor/wiring), including a cap/bezel color choice for each type (color options are limited to what I currently have on hand, so it'll be a first-come, first-served basis for colors).

This is what the BMW reservoir looks like after being modified to fit the X1/9:

This unit fits directly into the original X1/9 reservoir mounting bracket; no further cutting, drilling, sanding, filing or any other fabrication is needed.

** - The single "caveat" of using this reservoir is that the 2 brake hose outlet ports are smaller in diameter than what is normally used on the X1/9, & the BMW hose is a small-diameter hard black plastic vs. the larger rubber/neoprene hose of the X1/9. To solve this issue, I've left a short section of the plastic hoses intact on the reservoir ports, & (in theory) one should be able to slip the X1/9 brake hose onto this & then clamp into place. (I'll try to find some Fiat-size brake hose & get some exact measurements of each, then post my findings here).

Now for the actual FOR SALE part of this post... :pimp:

I have 5 of these reservoirs available & ready to go, with several cap options available depending on model (1300/1500) & colors desired. The X1/9 reservoir mounting bracket is not included, you'll need to use your existing bracket or find one elsewhere. As these are all previously-used reservoirs, their coloration will vary, as shown.

For the 1300 X with no cap-mounted fluid sensor/wiring, the reservoir will come with a standard cap & a small mesh/strainer insert (to keep out any debris when you have the cap off for inspection or refilling fluid). The cap can either be black with yellow logo, all black (no yellow) or all clear (reservoir-colored), cap availability is limited to the number shown:

1300:

For the 1500 X with the cap-mounted fluid sensor/wiring, the reservoir will come with a 2-spade type cap (with float mechanism) & a tall float tube insert (to keep out any debris when you have the cap off for inspection or refilling fluid). This 2-spade cap was sourced to provide ease of installation without any wiring mods, but I can also furnish the original cap/float unit for this reservoir if desired (you'll need to install 2 spade connectors onto the wire pigtails of the cap connector, in order to connect to the X1/9 wiring). The cap retainer bezel/surround will come in your choice of either black or clear (reservoir-colored):

1500 Black:

1500 Clear
:

The price for each reservoir & your choice of cap will be $30 + USPS shipping from 92860, payment via Paypal preferred. :italia:

Going, going...

So far 3 of these have been sold, I now have only 2 of them available. I'm not sure when/if I'll make more, so get yours now if you're wanting one! :excited:

If I do make another batch, it'll likely be at least 3-6 weeks or more for the junkyards to get a fresh supply of cars for me to scavenge these reservoirs from, that is assuming there will be any of the particular BMW's needed to get them from (it's a crap-shoot, really).

Now SOLD OUT

All 5 reservoirs are now tentatively SOLD (last 3 awaiting payment). Tribalwars, Go Irish, Col Haiku, kmead & hiram6 - congrats! :)

So far, the responses on this offering have all been positive, but if, after receiving/installing your reservoir, there are any fitment issues, suggestions for future production runs, etc., your feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :thumbsup:

Two more NOW AVAILABLE!

I have 2 more of these replacement reservoirs now available. Same price as before, $37 shipping included (within USA). :)

I need one Jeff!

PM me payment details and I'll make it so.
Black cap with terminals if you have one.
Thanks!

Mine arrived safe and sound. Another little box on the shelf. Funny how many I have that have come from the same addressee over the years :)

Many thanks

Karl

Back