GM Alternator in 1500

Johnfiat

Fiat Racing
Has anyone put a GM alternator in on a 1500 motor? The mount is different then the 1300 Best of section. If you did, what modification did you have to do? I like the idea of the GM or other easily found alternator in the car.

John Whitney
Wis X1/9
&
Preditor DSR

Yes, in 1979 (no kidding)

Check out my AC thread for now, one of the last pictures, to see how it fits in the space. But this is with AC. I am working on the description of the bracket for a future thread.

Papa Tony put

a GM alternator in Black Tooth. He might be able to answer any questions about the mount.

Mike

search the forum, I just did this on a non-AC 1500 in April and documented the process / results, which were based largely on this site but a little elaborated upon

There are a couple different ways to do the top mount, but the bottom mount means shaving down the bracket.

Wiring is pretty simple, it just needs a switched lead (for field) and a connection to the battery (starter)

Yes, the GM alternator is a no-brainer for utility.

Papa Tony and I go back and forth about "mods" a lot. But to me alternators are like lug nuts. They all do the same thing and look like alternators. Why not have one that is bullet proof and that you can pick up at the local parts store. And judging from my experience, they last decades. I'm thinking about replacing mine just because the latest one has been in there at least 15 years, maybe more. I can't remember. It has to fail sometime, doesn't it?:hmm:

As directed.
I cut the "foot" of the OEM mount and spaced out the top, as instructions. All good but I decided to try one with different mounting points and made a hassle for myself. Ended working great but had to get creative. Good upgrade though.

Back