Will these seats fit?

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I have been looking for a set of race style seats that will:

a: Fit in the X

and

b: Not cost a small fortune

These CipherAuto seem like they would fit, but may be a snug fit.

They look a little "thick" in the seat back, but it is hard to tell.

Any thoughts on, or experience with, these seats? The seats in my "new" 85 are pretty roached.

I don't know if those do - but you can compare the measurements to this seat.

I have a pair of these in my car. They were about $400/seat (15 year ago!!), but I got them for $300/seat, perfect fit.. they don't adjust for seat back. I made custom rails. I got them in black, and you can't access the spare tire well when they're installed... but they look the part, and they are super comfortable and durable.

http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php?id=cobra

I'll take a pic of them this weekend.. Eventually I plan to take them out and recover my original seats. Be careful, some seat pans will be MUCH higher than the OE seats, causing you to hit the roof if you're tall..

Thanks Myron

I searched for the pictures you posted years ago in Xweb 1.0, but couldn't find them. I am leaning towards getting the stock seats rebuilt too. I know they fit the car. :)

I went out and did some more measuring and it seems there is only about 19" between the door sill and the center tunnel, so that rules out a lot of seats.

seats

If you can get a pair of seats from a Lotus Elise they will fit perfect. They will be in the "expensive" category, but well worth it. I have them in my 75 X.

Jim... I dunno but...

I personally don't think the "wings" look good on a street car. Great for autocross, but look weird on the street.

Before you decide... go to SummitRacing.com and look at the HUGE selection of seats they have... call or email for all the specs and dimensions to be sure.

I think you will be glad you took the time...

I have checked Summit

Hi Tony,

I started this search at Summit. They have a lot of choices, the issue always comes back to "What will fit." That really limits our choice of aftermarket seats. I have three choices: get my stockers recovered, get a set of Miata seats (proven fit), or keep search the earth for an aftermarket seat that fits.

The aftermarket seats seem to be the cheapest choice, apparently the Miata seats are hunted to extinction in the pick'n'pulls locally and exist on Ebay but at a high price for a decent set.

I will keep checking CL here and try to find a deal.

I would have to agree with Tony here. Those top wings just dont look right in a street car. Gives it the boy racer look.

Summit racing

I had these Summit Racing # SCA-80-1606-64L seats in my 80x, drilled out stock rails at spot welds and modified the mounts supplied with seats. Used clip nuts at front on back wall of floor pan, and bolts at back. Momo 13" steering wheel and 4 point harness. Still have them and may install them in the 87xCorsa. Looks cool, fits nice. I'm 6'1".

Thanks Tim

Does that mean you are running these seats? Or just going by the dimensions? Just curious. If the measurements are right then I was thinking they might fit. There is a set for sale locally, so I will go look at them in person.

Does that mean you are running these seats? Or just going by the dimensions? Just curious. If the measurements are right then I was thinking they might fit. There is a set for sale locally, so I will go look at them in person.

I am going by dimensions. I went down that path with similar seats - even bought one but ended up staying with my miata seats.

Not to be argumentative Jim...

You said you started with Summit... did you call or write for the SPECS on the seats you think you wanted?

Many of the expanded specs available with the postings are somewhat lacking. I asked for, and received documents on all the dimensions necessary to make an intelligent decision.

Secondly... if Summit doesn't have it... then you can almost bet they ain't made! I have found only a few rare items for my Model T elsewhere at Speedway Motors but that is about it.

I just kinda hate to see you purchase some used seats that may or may not work offa Craig's List... and then have them recovered or something. And like you said, the Miata seats are getting rare and expensive!

Anyway... just making sure you know all the choices available to ya. Hope to see you in November!

classiccarseats.com

Jim,

Check out classicarseats.com. You might find something you would like.

JimV

Back