Insertable Wiper Relay Mod

This one?

wiperrelaydiagram_zps0c0975a9.jpg

Thanks - this is Les's diagram, right? I recall he had a 70s-ish X. I have intermittent wipers - so that's one more relay, isn't it? I'm not sure if this was on all years.

I think the intermittent relay doesn't affect this. If you reverse-engineet this to insert where the harness plugs in, you can see the intermittent timer is upstream somewhere.

Thanks I'll play with this - the diagram helps a lot. I'm a little confused by the intermittent setting since it's another "click" on the stalk leading me to believe this is another switch and relay.

Not to worry Rudy,

The delay is part of the circuit BUT ...
There are only 2 speeds to the motor itself, and relays help with the current to the motor -regardless of the delay circuit.
This will not affect the delay circuit or vice versa.

used that diagram for my '81 with intermittent, works perfectly. You can extract the spade terminal from the connector block with a tiny screwdriver or similar (grey and violet), run them to the relay, back from relay to port in connector block you just pulled it from, fused power off battery, ground 'em. All set. No cut, reversible (though why you'd want to reverse I don't know). Wipers 200% better!!

Wow this mod is ridiculous. May never get the chance to use it here in SoCal, but cool nonetheless. Thanks for the assist!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxELjnv1F0s"]WRM - YouTube[/ame]

I've searched for and found a number of posts demonstrating this mod but most of the links to a wiring diagram are not working. The most often referred-to link is missing:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1131915234/Courtesy+of+...

Anyone have a diagram available? This would be for model year 1986, if that makes a difference. Thanks..

I do not have a diagram, but I am building 30 of them for DCFiats tech day in February. The connectors are available on line http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pin-Conne...tor-/161094204858?hash=item2581f67dba&vxp=mtr

This way you do not have to cut any wires. I might be able to use one for a model and do a drawing. I will check tonight.

you don't have to get the connector though, just release the wire from the connector (violet or grey), run it to the relay (86), build a wire with same end running off the relay (30) back to the connector, shove it in, there all good. Repeat for either gray or violet, which ever you didn't do the first time. Power the relays off the battery (fused!) ground the relays (I used one of the strut mounting lugs). I used two sided tape to mount relays to firewall, some have put inside a nice little box of some sort.

Todd, that's the same way I'm building mine...

-As an insert. Nice find on the connectors, BTW!
My goal is to make it very small so as to "not" have to mount it.
It'll look like a small block between the original connections.

Mine has about 5 inches of wire between the connectors and relays to make it easy to build. I could mount it all in a little plastic box, but this is more work.

I did an insertable relay harness and documented it here with photos:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21415/

Mine works great. Took a video showing before/after impact on voltmeter and wiper speed here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Aa-NFMxIc"]X1/9 insertable wiper relay result - YouTube[/ame]

Faster wipers, lower voltage drop, whitens your teeth and freshens your breath. :)

HOWEVER, I'm having an issue with my wipers. Not sure if it's related to my relays or the way I reinstalled my wiper assy. The wipers don't park properly. THey just stop in random places and I have to use my wiper lever to stop them in the correct place. Any ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:
you don't have to get the connector though, just release the wire from the connector (violet or grey), run it to the relay (86), build a wire with same end running off the relay (30) back to the connector, shove it in, there all good. Repeat for either gray or violet, which ever you didn't do the first time. Power the relays off the battery (fused!) ground the relays (I used one of the strut mounting lugs). I used two sided tape to mount relays to firewall, some have put inside a nice little box of some sort.

This is the way I did mine as well. Very simple and I also didn't have the connectors that Todd has sourced. I pulled the whole harness through into the trunk and will bundle it into a project box that other have done. It's also closer to my power block/secondary fuse box, so I'm running less wire. I didn't cut anything, just added the 2 white wires back to the original connectors (used white to mark in the same color as the originals later).

HOWEVER, I'm having an issue with my wipers. Not sure if it's related to my relays or the way I reinstalled my wiper assy. The wipers don't park properly. THey just stop in random places and I have to use my wiper lever to stop them in the correct place. Any ideas???

I am having the same issue now. I initially attributed it to a bad ground. I tried a couple spots both in my secondary fuse box, body and original and sometimes they would work properly, sometimes not. Still chasing this one down. I'll let you know what I find.

I am having the same issue now. I initially attributed it to a bad ground. I tried a couple spots both in my secondary fuse box, body and original and sometimes they would work properly, sometimes not. Still chasing this one down. I'll let you know what I find.

I have been using my wiper relay for over a 5,000 miles and it always parks the wipers correctly. I do not think I have a ground for the relays. I will need to look tonight.

I have been using my wiper relay for over a 5,000 miles and it always parks the wipers correctly. I do not think I have a ground for the relays. I will need to look tonight.
Ah, that's something for me to try. I missed that in the diagram - I'm grounding the relays outside of the circuit. I could take the ground from the original harness and direct it into the relay in the same manner as the grey/pink wires. I'm not sure if that really makes a difference or not, but it would make it just like how it's illustrated.

Rudy, pay attention to the steering cluster...

(the steering cluster switches.) Those have been known to cause issue with intermittent wipers on late model X's.
Check the plug connections in the steering column lower cover area too, just in case. Not saying they're bad, just take note. (inspect)
Also, some have this big ugly covered resistor that sits outside the firewall, located in the air vent area where the speedometer cable runs through.
Inspect those connections too if they exist on your car.

Back