Parts Weight Thread?

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
What do you guys think about having a sticky thread dedicated to posting only parts weights? I think it might be helpful for those of us who want to "add lightness" to our street or track cars.

I'll start with:

Wheels:
Rota Shakotans (15x6, 20mm offset): 13.7 lbs
Autoricambi Libres (15x6, 24mm offset): 13.4 lbs

Wheels / Tires:
15x6 Libres & 195/45-15 Alpha Acceleras - 30.2 lbs
15x6 Libres & 205/50-15 Alpha Acceleras- 33.0 lbs
13x4.5" X1/9 steel wheels & 175/70 Barum Bravarius - 27.6 lbs
13x4.5" X1/9 steel wheels & 145SR13 Michelins - 26.0 lbs

Wheel Spacers:
5mm steel (oem): 13.8 oz
5mm aluminum: 5.4 oz

good idea

Unfortunatel everything i pulled off the car went to the dump years ago. Can add 'parts added' weights tho as it goes back together

I can say that the Coil overs I make have subtracted 5 lbs per corner out of the car. :)
link?
i built mine up in '99, dont remember if i used kyb or konis.

the heaviest items i pulled from the car were the seats, stock exaust, bumpers and bumper shocks. pretty obvious i guess, but a serious diet would start there.

Better search tags

Just a thought. If you put a word like "partsweightthread" into your post it would probably be easy to find in search without the need for a sticky. This response is a test of that theory. Now off to the search tool!!!

OK, I went and tested the theory. When I searched for "partsweightthread" this thread was the first hit in the results. In addition, every time someone adds a response with a part weight the thread will pop to the top again.

What do you guys think about having a sticky thread dedicated to posting only parts weights? I think it might be helpful for those of us who want to "add lightness" to our street or track cars.

I'll start with:

Wheels:
Rota Shakotans (15x6, 20mm offset): 13.7 lbs
Autoricambi Libres (15x6, 24mm offset): 13.4 lbs

Wheels / Tires:
15x6 Libres & 195/45-15 Alpha Acceleras - 30.2 lbs
15x6 Libres & 205/50-15 Alpha Acceleras- 33.0 lbs
13x4.5" X1/9 steel wheels & 175/70 Barum Bravarius - 27.6 lbs
13x4.5" X1/9 steel wheels & 145SR13 Michelins - 26.0 lbs

Wheel Spacers:
5mm steel (oem): 13.8 oz
5mm aluminum: 5.4 oz

the 13x5.5" CD30 repos in aluminum weight 11.6 pounds. will get a measurement for the original magnesiums soon.

Targa top weights

I once weighed three versions of targa tops I have on hand. Here are the results:

Saratoga top = 16lbs
78 Stock top - no headliner = 20lbs
86 stock top - with headliner = 25lbs

Although this has nothing to do with parts, other than

human body parts, if we had a time machine to take me back to 1977 when I bought my first X, there would be a difference of about 70lbs the X would have to tolerate.

Mike

Stripping out the RPFCC this weekend with the nephews, so I'll hang each part on some spring scales (which go to 15kg /35lbs and are quite accurate, sold at the local hardware store for weighing lambs) as we take it off...

as a club racer it doesn't need any interior apart from a seat / harness and something on the insides of the doors to cover the holes, I even have some door pulls and door openers from an old 500/600 that are alloy, no armrests or door cards, just alloy sheet in the inside for this one.

Bonnet, boot, roof and engine cover will be fibreglass, no bumpers or pk/turn lights, no dash, crashpad or column shrouds / switches or ignition lock (which needs to come off anyway, not allowed locking columns in motorsport car in Australia)

Needs head / tail lights and a windscreen wiper (just one) doesn't need a heater / demister or heater hoses... will try and find some way of getting headlights into the car without the heavy lift motors... they weigh a fair bit....probably something like the small rectangular fixed lights ala prototipo.

I know there's a bunch of weight in all the sound deadening and rubberised stone guard that's everywhere... it certainly adds up to a few kilos...and the stock seats are not lightweight that's for sure.

car has to have glass laminated windscreen, but lift windows / quarter glass and rear glass might get replaced with plexiglass...glass is heavy.

Doors have to stay stock with intrusion bars / stock hinges / stock locking mechanism as for the club solo racing we're doing we don't need a cage ... fit a cage with side bars and the doors can get gutted and 'glass skinned, but for the $$ for a proper certified cage costs that's not gonna happen on this car.

radiator will be one of Bobs alloy units... exhaust will be a 2.25 system ...

but I'll weigh all the standard parts as we take them off tomorrow and post a list...

adding lightness makes a lot of difference, my sig line roughly translates to 'the horses are never enough, and the weight is always too much' one of my dad's favorite sayings, and he's built quite a few cars that have made it to the winners circle.

SteveC

Yes it would, but I want to be able to park the car up and not get into a wet seat if it rains... ;-) that would be one good reason to have some sort of side window .

SteveC

Looks like the abarth x19 had a simple sliding up and down window with a locking knob. Until i saw it i was thinking about velcro

Back