X1/9 on Fifth Gear

CandBMotorworks

C&BMotorworks
Season 23, Episode 10 (just aired in the last week). Jonny Smith test drives a one-off Bertone shooting brake (or estate -- 'wagon' in US parlance) based on an Aston Martin Rapide. As is customary with the show, Vicky Butler-Henderson then did a segment on three Bertone cars you can have at three different price points.

At 1500 pounds was the X. The second, at about 2500 pounds Sterling, was an Alfa coupe from the early 2000s by my guess (it isn't sold here in the US and I can't remember the model). The third was a Lamborghini Urraco.

It was a sweet little X, and Vicky mostly had nice things to say about it, other than the usual comment about it being a bit slow.

Just thought I'd share. Unfortunately I can't find a video clip to share.

video clip starts at 18:37

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR0HLF0Q51Y"]Fifth Gear S23E10 - YouTube[/ame]

I thought she gave a very fair representation.

Notable: fewer than 400 currently registered cars in the UK!

The Alfa GT appears to be A LOT of car for just £2500. :hmm:

I sure hope there were sound effects added to the part of the headlights in motion when she was talking about them. They did not sound so hot.

Exceptional Car

Yep, one or both of the headlights made an "I need lubrication" kind of noise when raised and lowered.

Other than that, whoever owns that Mica Blue Gran Finale X1/9 is to be congratulated, it looks like it's brand new!!!

Someone here on XWeb?

I think it was added sound effect. I do like the X better than the Alfa, Alfa looks so boring next to the X, heck it's roof doesn't even come off and it's headlights don't move, yawn.

5th Gear

Thanks for the head's up saw the episode this week. I thought they did a pretty good and fair job covering the car. The segment was really good, though too short.

I watch 5th Gear and while enjoyable, it doesn't match Top Gear's enjoyment factor for me. I actually want to throttle a couple of the hosts. Wait...I want to do that on Top Gear too :)

Only 400 in the UK?!?!

I understand that the figure meant 400 X's registered/plated, but it made me wonder how many were registered/plated on the road in the US. Are our beloved cars becoming more rare than we realize? (or is there just an abundance of used parts and dreams unfulfilled in garages and storage sheds across America?)

Still, would be an interesting piece of trivia to know the number on the road.

Back