Targa top paint

WYOX19

True Classic
The Queen's Targa top could use a little touchup here and there. The top is original factory black, can anyone recommend a paint?

Flat black or gloss black?

If it's flat, all my exterior stuff gets "SEM Trim Black". Bodyshop supply places carry it, usually about $17 a can. I sometimes find it a O'Reiley's too, although last time I had to ask for it and they got it out of the back, it wasn't on the shelf.

Good stuff, tough, doesn't peel or fade, everything I've ever painted with it stays looking great for a dozen years and counting.

Pete

Duplicolor makes a good trim paint too. I've happy with it on my targa top for 3 years now. Probably a tad easier to come by a bit cheaper as I recall.

Duplicolor makes a good trim paint too. I've happy with it on my targa top for 3 years now. Probably a tad easier to come by a bit cheaper as I recall.

Both are the same

Black trim paint or bumper paint by duplicolor about 7 or 8 bucks a can

Works on seats and dash boards as we'll

I've used Duplicolor

Pretty much everywhere on an X1/9, mainly from Tony Natoli's recommemdations.

I think Duplicolor works very, very well everywhere, except for the Targa top, where it wears off fairly quickly. You'll be repainting every year with Duplicolor in my experience.

I'm going totry Pete's recommendation for the top, and use Duplicolor for the bits that don't get worn as quickly as the top.

Depending on your budget...

I have found my local body shop will often paint parts for me "on the cheap" if I do the prep work myself. For black trim parts, he uses a two-part urethane which seems considerably more durable and chemical resistant than the single-stage rattle-can options. "Hot-rod black" is a common color which is somewhere between flat and satin and looks great.

If you have any small/local shops it might be worth asking them what they'd charge to prime (for plastic) and shoot with black. They'll often charge very little especially if they're already setting up the paint/booth for another project.

Raising more questions?

Are you looking for perfect original or to your own taste?

'Cause if it's "wrinkle" finish, flat black is the way to go. But if it's the smooth finished top, then you could choose between black or body color. Then if you choose black, between flat black or glossy.

My black car got a black gloss paint. Looking wonderful but so easy to scratch...

Daniel Forest
Montréal, Canada

Jim, As Jim M. points out...

Duplicolor Trim Black will not wear that well if you do actually USE the top. Mine is usually in the garage or in the trunk! HA!

BUT... I cannot speak for the other products, but I think you will find that the Duplicolor product is inexpensive and you will SWEAR that the top is a Factory-Fresh part when you are done! One can could probably paint the top two or three times. HA!

Also, as Jeff and others have stated... Duplicolor Trim Black, (for HARD components) as well as their "flat-black" Fabric and Vinyl Spray (a dye for ALL flexible components, including some rubber parts like "bumper gaskets") will make all parts of your car look like a factory-fresh item... especially if you clean up and paint the back sides!

I find it is usually much easier and "better" to remove (or mask) and paint these items, rather than attempting to restore them with "Back-to-Black" type products.

HTH...

p.s. I assume the flood waters have subsided and the Noah has released all the animals...

My top is on and off the car, thrown in the frunk, whatever, several times a day. Still looks good with Duplicolor though a refresh wouldn't hurt. I'm pleased with the wear-ability. FWIW

I rarely use the top and it resides in the frunk or garage depending. The Queen's seats are leather and I use black leather die to touch them up. Back To Black has been disappointing, so I'll give Duplicolor a go for the hard plastic and see what happens. Tony, we survived the ice jams and subsequent floods and the weather turned warm and sunny until last night and this AM when it snowed.

I've not used it on the targa, but have on the other plastic hard and soft trim:

121503_beige_carpet_dye.jpg

Available in black

If you are trying to maintain the original textured look, try Duplo-Color truck bed coating works. It has about the same texture as original, very durable. It will cover up any "flaws".

I'm in the process of doing something VERY different with my top, I'll post pics when I'm finished, but most of you old timers aren't going to like it.

Just how OLD do the OLD timers haveta be?

HA!

Old in age, old in caring for their cars for some time, or just some kinda traditionalist? Except for being a traditionalist... I believe I qualify in the first two categories...

I only wish I had the OLD TIMER strength and passion that guys like John Force at 65 and Chris "The Greek" Karamesines at 83, are both fit and crazy enough to run their Funny Cars and Top Fuelers to over 300 mph.

Back