Well cr*p - leaking bleeder due to fiber washer?

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
Just venting...

Finally had time to fill the cooling system after installing a new heater valve and BobG rad last weekend. I have a leak on the bleeder valve side, haven't had a chance to find it. This is with the cap off, so no real pressure building in the system.

I tightened the screw as tight as I was comfortable with. No luck.

Or maybe I didn't tighten the top rad hose clamp? Of course that would mean the water is running across the top of the rad from the right (US pass side). I have had the opposite where the bleeder valve was dripping on the right because the car was tilted that way. Anything is possible at this point, but I guess it must be the bleeder. I do have the fiber washer on it.

Just bumming since this was supposed to be the easy part of the project.

Update #1: It seems to be the bleeder. I can make the dripping much worse by opening the bleeder a little tiny bit and take it back to a slow drip by tightening it to the point I am a little less than comfortable. I have two bleeder screws on hand and I tried both with the same result. Maybe I will try no fiber washer??

Update #2: Well, I removed the fiber washer from the bleeder screw and snugged it down. Then I fired up my compressor and blew all the water out of the rad, the lower frame was holding a lot more than I figured. Once I had everything dry I started the car and waited. No more leak. I let the car run for about 20 minutes. It got up to temp and the fan was cycling at ~190F with no drips. So... either the BobG alum rad doesn't like the fiber washer or I should had blown out the radiator area sooner.

I will let it cool down and see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Always sumthun', huh! I was unaware that ANY...

kind of "bleeder valve" had a fiber washer. Most are (were?) made of BRASS and depended on the relatively soft metal to seal on itself.

Anyway, you probably have a kinda new-age carbon-fiber digital bleeder valve that operates on two C2032 watch batteries and you are also too old to notice the difference. Just sayin'...

Glad ya got it to seal...

Came from MWB

Came from MWB with the washer already on it. Of course it was intended for the stock rad. Figured it was not going to hurt. I guess I was wrong. :)

I have never seen a fiber washer either.....

I had a similar issue on the 3rd one I installed. The bleeder didn't have a fiber washer though, I just had to snug it down and all was well.

Seems good now Bob

I think all is well. Just like me to kill a couple hours playing washers on a Saturday. :)

Factory radiators did have a fiber sealing washer as shown in the fiche. PN 9933129.

Yes, they were prone to breaking or damage if not centered when installed, and are the root of many a cooling system pressure leak.

Most don't realize that the seal is missing. It usually only takes a couple of opens and closes with an old sealing washer for it to crack.

One can seal the system without the washer, but the risk of breaking the bung out of the rad trying to crank it down to seal brass-to-brass is quite high. Ask me how I know that one.

A rubber O-ring seal can effectively do the same thing.

rad-fiche.jpg

Ahhhh... we are enlightened once again, or should I...

say SURPRISED!

I MUST admit I have never opened my stock purge valve because of the FEAR that I would never get it to seal again after 35 years. Now I know I was RIGHT thanks to Matt's explanation.

I'm also glad we have folks like Matt to show us how to "Do FIAT right"... but I'm not so sure there aren't some great improvements out there as well. HA!

Always learnin'...

I learn something new everyday.....

Out of the X1/9's I have owned or parted out I can honestly say I have never seen a washer or o ring on the bleed valve. Just goes to show there is always something new to learn.

This is true

Yes, they were prone to breaking or damage if not centered when installed, and are the root of many a cooling system pressure leak.

Most don't realize that the seal is missing. It usually only takes a couple of opens and closes with an old sealing washer for it to crack.

I torched the new one you sent me in all my playing around. I transferred it between two bleeder screws and installed removed a few times with out any issues. When I finally decided to try not using it, I pulled the bleeder and found I hand pinched it off center and basically ruined it. :doh:

Back