X1/9 in Forza Motorsport 5

Paul Valente

Automotive Engineer
I have been dutifully silent on this but I guess the cat is out of the bag. A while ago, actually, quite a while ago (a long time when you are keeping a secret anyhow :wink2: ), Fred Russell from Microsoft's Turn Ten Studios contacted me regarding my X1/9. He'd been calling around to various guys like Brett Melancon and John Montgomery and the late great Damon Kane looking for a Euro 1975 X1/9 that was original looking and he kept getting my name.

My car is a '74 so and not 100% European but has the slotted rear valance, the euro spec bumpers and isn't modified externally to any meaningful degree so Fred decided it was as good a starting point as he was going to get in North America. A few weeks later a photographer named Drew flew out to Detroit to take some pictures of it. Like, 250 or so pictures of it.:eyepop:

I had done some prep work like putting in the amber turn signal lenses, installing the stock air cleaner lid, restoring an original steel wheel and Michelin 145R13 XZX tire and digging an NOS muffler out of the garage so that Drew could get all of the details of those items as well and the modelers could build the car they wanted in the computer world. These guys are detail oriented! I mean, Fred was asking about all these details and I'm thinking, no one playing the game is going to know all this but Fred persevered. He wanted to make sure if you crashed the car in the game that if the engine lid flew off, the motor would look right! It is insanely accurate. It doesn't hurt that Fred is a huge Italian car fan either!

So, through a lot of work on the part of the Turn Ten guys they were able to morph my car into the Euro spec 1975 X1/9 they wanted.
I was interested as to why Fred was insistent on 1975 and he told me the reason but I'm not sure I can say what it is yet but what was announced yesterday was that an X1/9 will be part of something called the Bob Bondurant Pak for Forza Motorsport 5. I don't know much about XBOX, but the game they sent me is for an XBOX ONE. Don't know if it is available on other platforms or not.

Looks better in French Blue, if you ask me. :wink2:

med_forza-5-bondurant-fiat.jpg

10407607_10152425753646069_7036864637170039771_n.jpg

10351256_10152425753761069_1792900028479867159_n.jpg

10337692_10152425753916069_412557021324757221_n.jpg

10369202_843541132340046_7854556722044751938_n.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty amazing & very cool for sure Paul!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANvQ6RX3LZc"]Forza 5 1975 Fiat X1/9 at Circuit de Catalunya School Circuit (Autovista/Test Drive) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG8aMJCdvqE"]FailRace Forza 5 Silly Car Build 777HP Fiat X1/9 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYJPzs05ckg"]Forza 5 - Fiat X1/9 Gameplay - Bondurant Carpack - YouTube[/ame]

Sweet

That's awesome Paul. Your car is definitely one of the nicest Xs in the states.

AWESOME!!!

Ok, that is SO COOL!
Makes me want to go buy an Xbox-One and Forza (I have PS3 with GT5 and GT6, but I don't get to drive an X-1/9...)
and the fact that the model is a forum car, very very cool!

-Brett

Superb

That's very cool. Looks like I have to sell my 360 for a One. They need to add the Dallara kit to harness the oddles of horsepower that can be digitally thrown at it. Now we can all drive Momis silver demon.

Last edited:
Thank you

Thanks, Jim. It wasn't so much that Microsoft thought it was the best car, it was just the most similar to the car they wanted that was located in this country. A lot of guys on here have nice cars and I wouldn't want to suggest mine is better than anyone else's car. You might have a nicer one in your driveway right now :)

I do not.

That is a definite no Paul. Both of mine are best viewed as one would admire a Monet. ;)

I had the 85 on the trailer in the front drive Saturday and a neighbor came home, looked over and yelled "That's a nice trailer!!". Well, I found it funny.:nod:

sigh...I may need to get an XBox too

I love driving X1/9's in racing games, have the mod for Need for Speed Most Wanted and really enjoy it.

Someone mentioned the Dallara kit, and I was wondering about mods in the game. It seems clear from the 777 hp mod that you can add stuff, can you remove the roof and bumpers? Anyone that has played the game with the X yet?

Stunning

Absolutely amazing what level of detail is possible.

I would have recommended your car as well. :)

Paul, do you know if and how they try to model the handling of the car as well?

Don't know.

I'm not sure how they do the vehicle dynamics. There is software (like Carsim or Adams/Car) in the auto industry that lets you model all sorts of vehicle parameters and "drive" cars virtually. I just assume they use the same type of program but I don't know for sure.

Dude, what the hell?!

I sent Turn Ten about three letters begging them to put an X in Forza 4 for the Xbox 360! They sent a letter back telling me that they're pretty busy at the moment with another game, but they're keeping my request in mind. I guess they listened to me, but decided to go with the next gen Xbox One, which I can't afford. Ugh.....

Back