X1/9 colour ideas

ics-019

Daily Driver
Hi all,

I have recently embarked on a full restoration for my 78 X. So far it has been dismantled and sent to the blaster. I will eventually be dedicating a thread to the project where i hope to share all my ideas and hopefully gather some of yours too!

Which brings me to the reason behind this thread...

Since i am having it totally resprayed i am playing around with a few colour choices. Of course it must boil down to one colour (not going for two tone). The decision is hard..

Its original colour was metallic blue and its colour to date is mazda red (was not my decision). Being honest i like the colour of the X in red and though I would prefer opting for a Ferrari red, i am also giving serious thought to having it in a shade of yellow. Since i will be using my X for hill climbs and period car races i was interested in an exotic colour. Then i remebered the Miura.

Lamborghini-Miura-01.jpg

I am thinking that this colour scheme would give the x an exotic appeal and bring out its design.

So what are your thoughts? Anyone have their X in a similar colour? Any photos/links? Your favourite colour for the X?

Anyone know the colour code for this lambo?

Thanks
Chris.

Nice - I'm quite partial to the green found on the '74, and I've actually grown to love my colour -Rosso Arancio.

I don't think that Miura is truly a yellow, if I'm not mistaken, it's more of an orange and it looks different in various lighting angles. There's a guy around here who has one - scroll through the pics. It looks similar to the pic you posted, and it's a beautiful colour. You can't go wrong. (EDIT - I'm wrong, your pic IS the yellow version - the orange looks similar to me but they are indeed different colours)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/myronsamila/8398218043/in/set-72157632566530859

I love Ferrari red (Rosso Corsa, or Rosso Dino) - but Lambo/Bertone colours of the day are stunning.

Paul Valente's blue X1/9 is also a beautiful colour - in person, it's just fantastic.

This is not an easy decision, hmm...

Yellow is a great color on an X, IMHO. Brighter better than darker, don't go to "taxi cab". Hard to say if that Miura color would be good or not, based on the one professionally lit and maybe doctored shot but worth pursuing.

Yellow

Yellow is a great color for an X and like red has the advantage of letting other drivers see you better, a not to be diminished benefit.

I agree that a brighter shade of yellow might be better though. Even with the brighter shades some light intensities will still make the car look a little mustardy, or orange, or even washed out. I guess the intensity and angle of the sunlight makes a real difference with this color shade.

Another classic shade of yellow is called "FLY Yellow" and usually refers to Ferraris. (FLY="Ferrari Light Yellow") and you may wish to look at that shade since it is also a classic color that's time period correct.

I painted my two Fiats this shade and have not regretted it. I think I used Glasurit PPG Giallo 8038.

BTW there is an extraordinary benefit of painting your car yellow, it is a well known fact that yellow X's are 5 MPH faster than any other color X. Just sayin' :)

I am going thru the exact sane thing

The "bumble bee" was originally Nero (black) and was resprayed by the previous owner yellow. Right now, the car is completely stripped and primered and awaiting my decision for color. Right now I've semi committed to the new fiat 500 yellow. I've entertained orange, copper and various other shades of yellow.

That said, I like this shade on the muira, it's more like a chrome yellow

Yellow is a great color for an X and like red has the advantage of letting other drivers see you better, a not to be diminished benefit.

I agree that a brighter shade of yellow might be better though. Even with the brighter shades some light intensities will still make the car look a little mustardy, or orange, or even washed out. I guess the intensity and angle of the sunlight makes a real difference with this color shade.

Another classic shade of yellow is called "FLY Yellow" and usually refers to Ferraris. (FLY="Ferrari Light Yellow") and you may wish to look at that shade since it is also a classic color that's time period correct.

I painted my two Fiats this shade and have not regretted it. I think I used Glasurit PPG Giallo 8038.

BTW there is an extraordinary benefit of painting your car yellow, it is a well known fact that yellow X's are 5 MPH faster than any other color X. Just sayin' :)

That fly yellow does look rather similar to the miura's colour to my eye. What amazes me is how bertone being so bent on making the miura so exotic that the colour choices still make it look futuristic to this day. That and bucket loads of sex appeal :)

It IS a hard decision and I will remain confused till the day I take the decision and see it done!

Further research and photoshop to follow!

Do you think it should be painted entirely in yellow or would the grey painted sill work on the X too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bumble bee just may be the colour I'm looking for. Do you have any Hi res images you could share? :)

My yellow X....

That's a Mercedes color called Sunburst Yellow.
I've got the code around here somewhere if anyone is interested.

Re: Giallo Miura paint code(s)?

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/25129I believe the colour code for the Muira is #2-449-100, it's a Bertone colour.

Some maybe-relevant info...?

Also being Bertone products of the same era as the Miura, some early European Fiat 850 Spider variants known as the "850 CL (Convertible Lusso)", the "850 Racer Berlinetta" & "850 Racer Team" were painted in a color specified as "Giallo Miura". The code for that paint color on the 850 CL was listed as 1.422.677, while on the 850 Racer Berlinetta/Team models it was 2.449.093. :2c: :wink2:

Didn't know that...

Some maybe-relevant info...?

Also being Bertone products of the same era as the Miura, some early European Fiat 850 Spider variants known as the "850 CL (Convertible Lusso)", the "850 Racer Berlinetta" & "850 Racer Team" were painted in a color specified as "Giallo Miura". The code for that paint color on the 850 CL was listed as 1.422.677, while on the 850 Racer Berlinetta/Team models it was 2.449.093. :2c: :wink2:

...but now I do. Thanks for that!

Chris... I need to add here...

This was JJ's first car (that I know of) and this phot really doesn't do it justice. The yellow was sort of a micro metallic, or pearlescent (sp?) LEMON YELLOW that really popped! It also takes some kinda artist to come up with using an Orange pinstripe... something I see a lot on Hot Rods and Street Rods... Most use a combo of two colors and they are usually colors I would have never thought to use. But I'm old...

93192d1203528642-bertone-x-1-9-picture-thread-100_0728.jpg

This other car Eric posted in the vibrant orange two tone really worked well also, IMHO.

chrisfiat.jpg

These colors, and especially two-tones, are best (IMHO, again) for CRUISERS... along with medium metallic blues and blacks and the like.

Froggy Green, Yellow, and Reds in single tones are best for RACERS!

Decide on a car's THEME and then go from there. Good luck... as Opinions are like Belly Button s, everyone has a few...

Here is one in a Gold-tone similar to what you talked about earlier... And it works well along with Silvers... (but not this Silver - inside joke!)

Here is Bob Turchan's Silver car and its even more beautiful in person.

Same goes for Rudy's in a Med. Metallic Blue.

Last edited:
the problem with paints

Is that there is no substitute in seeing it in person in good lighting. Unfortunately not many Xs around the island and far less even seeing the light of day.

The Xs you posted BlackTooth all look great in their colour though yellow is growing on me. More so since mine is a semi-race profiled X... and red seems to be too common a choice for italian cars :)

Thanks for all your contributions so far!

Code and/or name for the Orange Muira?

Myron, do you know, or can you find out, the specifics on the Orange Muira? I'm switching up what car is which project in my garage and the end result is we will be building up a car from a bare shell for my son, who wants his to be orange. We're looking for the right type of orange, and that Muira is stunning... :)

Back