Delco Reamy not a dirty word

old mech

Low Mileage
I shoehorned in a delco reamy 65 amp one wire alternator. The machine work was with a hack saw, I cut the bracket from 1/2" plate steel. it looks stock and works great. hope to drive a 2k watt amp with 80's music on Cruz night

Your hacksaw looks as good...

...as some of the milling I've seen. :)
Nice job. :thumbsup:

Uh-oh... I think we created another MONSTER...

just in time for Halloween too!

Another way to skin a cat...

Tom, one of the reasons many of us cut down the mounting BRACKET versus modifying the alternator... was to be able to replace the alternator "on the road, anywhere" without modifications.

Pardon me if you have already seen this, but this is the route many of us took:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1142890167/GM+alternator+conversion

Also scroll down to read my 2008 Update.

In this manner, as I said earlier, we can get a rebuilt anywhere, and with the lifetime warranty through AutoZone... never again pay a cent!

I u/s that this time of alternator can be had with a 100a output as well...

Lastly... tell us how the Voltmeter is working... as I thought the second wire had something to do with that...

Thanks for your idea and post though. You can still do this mod in the future if you like... and have an exchangeable core.

Lastly (again)... here is another way as well:

http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Alternator

Mostly his change was with the adjustment bracket and where it mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. Call me or write about installing that amp...

and/or stereo system... I may be able to save you some time and frustration.

Amp meter

Its working perfectly. I pulled the old voltage reg and the small harness. Leaving just the main hot back the the battery or amp meter i guess. Iv used these one wire alts on sandrails this one does not need to be revved up to excite a charge. When i put them on a corvair or volks id use the original main case and slide in the fresh guts and bearing. Maybe not roadside but the altered main case belongs to the car.

That bracket mod is very clever. Looks like it can use std mounting points on the X engine.

One of these days I'd like to use the programmable plasma cutter at our maker space -- this would be a good project for that :)

I modded a Nippon Denso (Volvo application) alternator in a similar fashion - did you check your cut shoulder is perfectly perpendicular? The Vbelt life will be reduced if it is cocked at all. I got mine close enough, but when I did the serpentine mod I had to have it machined for true as that setup is less forgiving of misalignment.

Thanks... I would guess then that the other wire...

is simply used to EXCITE the two wire types and the ammeter gets it its source elsewhere. Glad it worked out for you. I have not seen anyone use a ONE wire replacement before... this is a great update.

Oh and you were very correct in tossing all the other wiring and regulator... but if you think the VR may be in good shape... you might list it in FS&W in case someone else may NEED or WANT it.

is simply used to EXCITE the two wire types and the ammeter gets it its source elsewhere. Glad it worked out for you. I have not seen anyone use a ONE wire replacement before... this is a great update.

Oh and you were very correct in tossing all the other wiring and regulator... but if you think the VR may be in good shape... you might list it in FS&W in case someone else may NEED or WANT it.

Delco Remy has a "1" and "2" input.

"1" input require switched power (to power field) and also requires either a lamp (resistance) or a diode (allowing power from switch to alternator) to prevent back-feed. I used a diode.

"2" is just a nice feature they added, you can run 2 from any (+) battery location in the car directly to the alternator and the alternator regulator will compensate the voltage output to achieve 14.4 volts at the "2" source (minus cable losses).. this is basically for old undersized wiring to ensure you have a solid 14.4 where you need it, most folks loop a direct connect from the (+) post on the alternator to "2" directly because that's good enough.

I made my own bracket rather than hacking one, it can be made relatively easily with 3/16" x 3" steel and a welder.

1-wires self-excite but that also means they supply power until they stop running, which is not always advantagous when running non-magneto or non-diesel engines (i.e. they back feed ignition unless wired carefully) (hence the 3-wire being popular on non farm implements)

Back