Veteran's Day

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Today (11/11/2014) is Veteran's Day in the USA.

It started out as Armistice Day to commemorate an armistice agreed to by the belligerents to end the fighting on the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month of 1918. The Great War (aka WW 1) officially ended when the Treaty Of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919.

Over the years here in the USA if became a federal holiday, just like Decoration Day turned into Memorial Day. It can be confusing to Americans and non-Americans alike that there seems to be two federal holidays for this showing of support to the military. One way to think about them is to consider that Veterans Day is for those who survived and Memorial Day is for those who did not survive.

It's been my observation that since the so-called Global War on Terror began, attention from politicians, the media, and businesses paid to veterans has been increasing. For example, the phrase "Thank you for your service" is heard more and more. I'm a Flyers fan so I watch all of the games and during each game, a local Service Member participates in the pre-game color guard attendant to the singing of the national Anthem, and at a stoppage of play during the second period, another local Service Member is honored on the Jumbotron. And as a Veteran myself, I could eat and drink all day today for free by taking advantage of these offers: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/top-lists/guide-to-veterans-day-freebies/ and http://abcnews.go.com/Business/veterans-day-top-deals-freebies/story?id=26769921 and http://themilitarywallet.com/veterans-day-free-meals-and-discounts/

But, I'll tell you what: I'd gladly trade all of this attention and free stuff for something from you.

Next time you vote in a federal election, vote for the candidate who is not so eager to add more people to the rolls of those to be honored and remembered on Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

I still morn good friends lost in Viet Nam and have talked to a few young vets from our latest fiascos. My heart goes out to them all. I get kind of upset over all the hoopla on Veterans Day. I honor and respect all our veterans from my Dad (WWII) his brother(Korea) My brother(VN) on up. What I get upset about is that the media and our government glosses over all the stupid people in politics that got us in these messes in the first place. We need to honor our fallen. I just wish it had been for a better cause than political gain for our so-called elected officials or businesses.

I originally wrote quite a diatribe but it failed to load...

So I just said Thanks...

One distinction I might add as Mr. Dragon touched on is something I just learned recently... and that is Memorial Day is recognizing those that lost their lives... and Veteran's Day is to honor those that served or are serving.

As a Vietnam Vet... I find very little solace in being told my service is/was appreciated. Thanks you's are "time sensitive"... and this timed out a long time ago...

I found what I wrote to my 20 year old Granddaughter... thought I'd share with you guys here.

Piper,

How kind of you to remember and write...

As serving our Military and Vets has become "in vogue" as of late... More and more folks are attending Memorial Day and Veteran's Day ceremonies. Always has been part of our "city" here... and 14 years ago this land and park were dedicated as our town's Veteran's Historical Park.

With me, is my best friend Atticus and his boy Jim Hogan... a blind and hearing impaired Vet that sees and hears more than most folks!

This foto was something I hadn't seen when I shot it but this 11 year old Boy Scout was addressing each Vet he saw and "thanked" them for their service. I thought this old man and him were a great lucky shot.

As I have been taught and believed these many years as a person, as well as a supervisor and leader of others... I learned that "Thank You's" are time sensitive and loose their sincerity and meaning real fast. Vietnam Vets and those of that era are the modern day example of how NOT to treat DEFENDERS that followed their orders and went where our Politicians told them to go and do what they told them to do. They weren't stupid or blindly followed orders. They were a trusting lot though... and that is possibly where they were misguided. WE thought we were doing what was BEST for our country and our way of life... and felt so strongly WE put our money where our heart was and bet our lives on it.

My cribmate up in Oregon, Don Ptacnik, served in Korea while I was in Vietnam and your Uncle/Grandpa Joe was scouring the South Pacific for Russian Nuclear Subs. When Don came home he was spat on and called a "baby-killer" and all he did was sit at a Hawk Missile Site in South Korea for 18 months and drank beer.

Now folks wish to HONOR us and THANK US and many are innocent as that Boy Scout and many don't realize... Its with mixed emotions that we shake their hands and thank them for remembering. Its been a long time coming...

BUT YOU... YOU can (hardly) DO ANYTHING wrong in my eyes... and I love you and thank you for your note. (This will also teach you NOT to talk or even WRITE to old Vets... as they just rant and rave and ramble on and on and on...)

HA!

Love always,

Papa

p.s. Damon Gentile (damonfg) in Vermont made up these new drumsticks for Willie Johnson... the 13 year old Civil War Drummer who earned the Medal of Honor from President Lincoln. The original cast sticks broke off in a days when this $70,000 dollar statue was placed! Damon's sticks look like they will last as long as Willie now...

p.s.s. What was really bothering me as of late is that there are about 36 suicides EVERY day in the United States... Of the 36, 22 are Veterans, or about 2 out of every three. What makes this even more terrible is that Veteran's equate to less than 10% of the population!

I don't have the answers (but think I do) and I can't claim to have the insight to all that goes on, but I do know right from wrong and there is something REALLY wrong here.

Thanks for listening and your support...

Last edited:
Back