Which clutch?

ausfiat

Daily Driver
My 80X was originally fitted with a 1300 4 speed but has been changed to 1500cc by a previous owner. The clutch needs to be replaced now so I bought a 1500cc clutch in preparation for the job. Now I'm thinking maybe that is the wrong one The car is still a 4 speed. Is the clutch the same for 4 and 5 speed cars? Errol.

the clutch is NOT the same for teh 1500 to 1300, however the clutch is transmission dependant.. so if you got a 4spd transmission, you need a 4spd clutch

In the market...

Errorl,

I'm about to source a clutch plate, pressure plate and thrust bearing for my 1300. Did you get yours in Bris? If so, where? What was the damage?

Regards,

Brian

Colin,

Knowing your intimate knowledge of most things Bris-related...

I have just removed my flywheel.

Do you have any comments regarding lightening? I have read all the good reports here.

If so, would you recommend anyone in Bris?

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Colin. Sumner Park is not too bad!

What brief should I give them when plonking it on the bench at reception?

...and what does this mean...

(and lap it onto the crack when you are re-installing it).

Regards,

Brian

PS Are they the sort of mob who could tell me about that 'mystery' camshaft I bought?

Ahhhh! Thanks guys. I bought the clutch off American ebay on a whim and had my son-in-law bring it over to Oz when he came on his trip. So I'll put that clutch back on ebay and call Jim for some prices on the 4 speed parts. I bought my X out of Sydney 4 years ago and she was in a real mess. I'm still fixing slowly but I get stumped alot since I am basically an 850 man. But I always wanted an X and this site is the best I have ever seen. There is a ton of info......fantastic!!!

Foster anyone?......lol

Glad to see many X brothers from Down Under posting here at the same time.....:excited:
If you guys ever go to my Puerto Rico(caribbeam USA), "Medalla"(medal in english) is a very good local beer.......cheers:)

The 1.5L vs 1.3 clutches are different

The 1.5L clutch is larger diameter than the 1.3L clutch which means the flywheels are different, but interchangeable by using the proper ring gear.

The 1.5L flywheel is heavier with a larger clutch friction surface, the 1.3L flywheel is lighter with a smaller clutch friction surface relative to the 1.5L.

The stock 1.3L clutch / flywheel & ring gear is marginal with the 1.5L engine. A speciality rebuilt 1.3L clutch pressure plate and friction plate can be use with the lighter 1.3L flywheel combo to save weight.

Kevlar friction plates are available from Superior Friction. Contact Robin at: 2123 Bering Dr # D, San Jose, CA 95131, USA, (408) 436-1102‎, (408) 436-1101‎. These cost about $120.00 USD in 2007.

Very smooth engagement and tough, heat resisant clutch under all conditions.

Errol,

Continental Spares in Sydney...

Clutch kit: $320
Exchange lightened flywheel: $220
Rear crank seal: $16
...plus a bit for Aussie Post

Regards,

Brian

I thought freight would have rulled out this option, but it turned out to be less than $20 each way - probably less than fuel to Sumner Park!

...and the gentleman on the phone sounded very much like he knew what he was talking about - "no negative side effects from flywheel lightening - even my Niki now accellerates up hills"

Regards,

Brian

Are you guys talking about regular clutch use as in just cruising around the town or competion use?
But I get the point that the 1500 no smog engine would have quite a bit more grunt than the 1300 and so needs a clutch to match. Jim at Italia was talking sense. Remove all the clutch components, he said, and ship it down to him for inspection.
Errol

Back