Sparkplug Wires

Cougar72

Daily Driver
Howdy All,

The plug wire set currently in my X is basically tied up in knots and spirals - the runs are so long. I would suspect that each lead is 8--14 inches too long. They are fully functional, and I see no cross arc leakage (when I shut off the shop lights and move them around) But its terrible looking, and in the way. And more notably,they are tangled in with the fuel pump, fuel feed and return line..... :eek:mg: flambé exxy ???:eek:mg:.

No idea how old they are. I can flex them with no visible cracking. - they came from the P.O. The engine is stock 1500. I have new plugs, cap and rotor installed.

1. should I just get new brass and shorten them? This would be cheap!
...Is there a minimum length (any hi-tech issues with Dizzy to Plug distance? -the number 1 Cyl will be only a few inches long)
...This approach will have them running more in parallel (and not all twisty) does this cause cross fire ignition issues. I would like to dress them straight across all in parallel with clips

2. Should I use a complete new wiring set, offered by a vendor (X1/9 specified set), will this be nice and short and neat? - anyone have a preferred short set for 4Cyl? (I would like to get yellow)

3. Or should I just go get a "kit" with some bulk wire and terminals/boots and make my own... Any advice on terminal and boot preferences? 0,45.90 degree etc. are the dizzy sockets standard size? (looks to be) .... Other technical: mm diameter? Suppression? Carbon? SolidCore? Spiral wound?

Howdy All,

The plug wire set currently in my X is basically tied up in knots and spirals - the runs are so long. I would suspect that each lead is 8--14 inches too long. They are fully functional, and I see no cross arc leakage (when I shut off the shop lights and move them around) But its terrible looking, and in the way. And more notably,they are tangled in with the fuel pump, fuel feed and return line..... :eek:mg: flambé exxy ???:eek:mg:.

No idea how old they are. I can flex them with no visible cracking. - they came from the P.O. The engine is stock 1500. I have new plugs, cap and rotor installed.

1. should I just get new brass and shorten them? This would be cheap!
...Is there a minimum length (any hi-tech issues with Dizzy to Plug distance? -the number 1 Cyl will be only a few inches long)
...This approach will have them running more in parallel (and not all twisty) does this cause cross fire ignition issues. I would like to dress them straight across all in parallel with clips

2. Should I use a complete new wiring set, offered by a vendor (X1/9 specified set), will this be nice and short and neat? - anyone have a preferred short set for 4Cyl? (I would like to get yellow)

3. Or should I just go get a "kit" with some bulk wire and terminals/boots and make my own... Any advice on terminal and boot preferences? 0,45.90 degree etc. are the dizzy sockets standard size? (looks to be) .... Other technical: mm diameter? Suppression? Carbon? SolidCore? Spiral wound?

The rule of thumb has always been that the plug wires should be as short as possible. I still go by that rule even with the newer type wires.

Plug Wires Too Long

I think most pre-made wire sets are too long because of Dizzy Caps like this one.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat...19-wmarelli-s155-s156-distributor-oe-nos.aspx

I've seen them turned in all directions. Toward the RR wheel, you need the longer wires. Toward the LR wheel, they are then too long. The Dizzy Cap can be pointed toward the firewall or straight into the Head, like mine.

If you have this kind of cap, it's a moot point.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat...28-wmarelli-s155-s156-distributor-oe-nos.aspx

Custom made wires ...

... are always preferred for the neatest looking job.
Don't bother if you don't have the proper crimp tool to do it.
Personally, I like using 8mm wire color matched to the car. (you can get all colors)
The wires should route comfortably with little to no slack and an appropriate bend in the wire to fit from the cap to the plug.
Mine from years past (aka Trailer Queen) using Allison's Automotive ignition. The original wires were blue and I wanted red.

Ignition4_Sm.jpg

That Engine Bay...

Was not that clean the day that car was made!
I'm looking forward to seeing Mac-X :headbang:

I think most pre-made wire sets are too long because of Dizzy Caps like this one.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat...19-wmarelli-s155-s156-distributor-oe-nos.aspx

I've seen them turned in all directions. Toward the RR wheel, you need the longer wires. Toward the LR wheel, they are then too long. The Dizzy Cap can be pointed toward the firewall or straight into the Head, like mine.

If you have this kind of cap, it's a moot point.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat...28-wmarelli-s155-s156-distributor-oe-nos.aspx
I have the first style cap (right angle) and you can only clock the distributor one way that I know of, otherwise the vacuum advance canister starts to foul on something, the wires will run straight into the firewall...I can't imagine the dizzy mounted anyway but with the fingers pointing toward the left (driver's side) I question why the "fitted" sets are so horrible fitting. They are so overly long you can almost make two sets out of one. Mine work but it's spaghetti and looks silly and yes, I've had some issues with arcing.

Last edited:
So the consensus is...

"fitted" sets are NOT fitted... and are just tooooo looong

Don't hack up the existing set - unless I have the "special crimper" which I don't. and the wires are of undetermined age anyway.

My distributer "points" straight across the back of the engine bay into the space behind the block - and not straight at the firewall - thus I need super short leads.

So I need to custom make a set - AND I need a plug wire crimper. I have many crimpers but none have the right jaw.. I have always been able to get "fitted" sets for my cars - but that time has now ended... Off to ebay I go.

I am really surprised there is not a "ebay-er" out there that makes fully custom plug wire sets - by the inch - (in custom colors and boot colors) I have occasionally thought it would be cool to color code the wires just for fun. (Italian flag? or Red White Blue on the old V8 ??) no way to do that without buying an awful lot of bulk wire.

I went through the same process; wanting to make my own, in the end i just lived with the long ones but next time.....there's sure to be thread on it here, FWIW. Maybe not all "fitted" sets are the same level of overkill but having the stuff to make your own makes sense anyway.

How the PO Left it for Me

His "mechanic" had just done a Timing Belt & Clutch. I'm guessing, too many things got moved.
Now that It will STOP and RUN almost properly, the next thing on my Do List is to pull the Dizzy and re-position it, as you describe.
As you can see, it points right into the head behind the timing belt Cover.

Spark plug wires

I've got Magnecor wires,and they are sized pretty well,short to long. I've been very happy with them,and use them on my Spider,too!

I'm using the Kingsborne wire set - 8mm wires. They fit OK, but only because I use the regular Bosch cap rather than the offset variety

Back