Headlamp conversion? Prototipo style?

lookforjoe

True Classic
Thinking about deleting the popups when I do the Dallara body kit (if the mechanical issues ever stop :) )

I found pics of Abarth Prototipo X1/9 that used them

x19_prototipo_1.jpg

Anyone attempted this or know where to find any guides? I haven't been able to turn up any - I'd rather not start from scratch if possible. Just the rectangular (4x6, 7x6?) lamp, not the larger circular unit.

I did also find a X1/9 in Sweden with a Dallara style kit that had dual round projectors melded into the nose, but I did not care for that look.

2426729616.jpg

2400280105.jpg

There are projectors that mount in the H4 bulb mount, my son has a set, you have to heat and remove the lense and install it from the front. They will give you better light and the look of the rectangular light. They are very good, I have sat behind them at night.
If you do go with with a projector make sure you you go with a good bulb and ballast, the cheap ones are just that "cheap".

I will be building a Dallara in the future and have thought about putting the projectors or other lights in in like you are but keep the pop ups operating and mount a pair of Hella Rally 4000's in them as driving lights. They're 8" instead of 7.25 but I think they could be made to fit. That way if a punk on his 4x4 won't dim his lights.... I had that happen once while driving the rally car with 4 rally 2000's on on the front. He wouldn't dim his lights so I went to brights so I could see and he turned on his off road lights you know 4 of those cheap parts store spot lights.... I won, when the sun landed on the road in front of him not only did he shut off his spots he shut off all but his running lights and stopped and waited for me me to clear.

Years ago when I was much more obnoxious.

Search the archives for "wayne headlight"

Hi Hussein,

Search the Xweb 1.0 archives for "wayne headlight" and you will get some results on Wayne's conversions. Sadly, most of the Xweb 1.0 photo links are dying. :(

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1211946687

Wayne did this on two Xs. One he had fixed pods and on the other he converted the popup to only move a couple inches to uncover the headlight completely. I think this little pic is the fixed version:
FiatFront.jpg

headlights

for the dallara I was building I was going to use the headlights out of a jeep Cherokee. the metal plate that held the h/l was attached to the fiberglass nose panel and easy to make the glass fit into the area.
woefully when the dallara went away, I tossed them now that I need them for black beauty.....pick n pull here I come!!
mikemo

Thanks for the link. I looked at some of the Hella lamps on Susquehanna MS - only the round ones are available in any sort of kit form that includes the adjusters & a mount plate - hard to envision how I would practically install them with access to the adjusters :(

Wayne's version makes more practical sense, I just wish I could find more specific detail. Karls' comments on the quality of the light output of those factory assemblies does give one pause - it's much work to make them fit only to have crappy light distribution.

The Hella 90mm seem very good from a light distribution & hardware availability perspective - I would just need to figure out a practical mount installation that could provide adjuster access through the existing access panel in the frunk.

It's not an X conversion

But here is a conversion on a Ferrari 400i as shown in the latest edition of Forza magazine (yeah, I'm a subscriber, it's okay to dream.....)

It may give you some idea of what is possible, and for a man of your engineering skills you should be able to do it.

There was a discussion on headlight options about a year ago

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/27417/

As far as I recall, the original Dallaras had the style of lights you are proposing:

Not all Dalara conversions include this but to my eye this is how a Dallara should look. Of course they were originally race cars so you have to remember that the height of lights is not strictly legal for road use. Which is why the X had popups.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
But here is a conversion on a Ferrari 400i as shown in the latest edition of Forza magazine (yeah, I'm a subscriber, it's okay to dream.....)

Not all Dalara conversions include this but to my eye this is how a Dallara should look. Of course they were originally race cars so you have to remember that the height of lights is not strictly legal for road use. Which is why the X had popups.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks, Rob! That looks better - I do appreciate that they are below Federal spec, but I'm not ever gonna worry about that - my inspection station is not going to question height, only operation.

I definitely feel that suits the nose treatment better than the partial popup or round projectors. Not sure what the dimensions are - I'll have to make some measurements to figure it out.

EDIT: Looks like they must be the 200mm versions, or perhaps 5x7" ? Finding 6x7 also... seems they are the same thing - H6054 seems to be the designation.

Last edited:
Be aware that you will be lowering the center of the headlight about six inches. This make a noticeable difference in the patch of road that is illuminated ahead of you.

Be aware that you will be lowering the center of the headlight about six inches. This make a noticeable difference in the patch of road that is illuminated ahead of you.

Yes. Since I rarely drive it at night, I'm not overly concerned it.

Found several older American cars with the buckets and backplates. I'll look around at the H6054 options.

Yes. Since I rarely drive it at night, I'm not overly concerned it.

Found several older American cars with the buckets and backplates. I'll look around at the H6054 options.

I don't do a lot of night driving either. With the low beam adjusted to a satisfactory position the highs shine into the tree tops so I run on high beams with them adjusted up to a satisfactory height. The car is so low that it doesn't seem to bother other drivers. At least I have never had anyone flash their lights when I have driven at night.

I don't do a lot of night driving either. With the low beam adjusted to a satisfactory position the highs shine into the tree tops so I run on high beams with them adjusted up to a satisfactory height. The car is so low that it doesn't seem to bother other drivers. At least I have never had anyone flash their lights when I have driven at night.

Are you referring to stock headlamps or do you have the type of conversion I'm looking at? I'm confused.

Comparing layouts

My nose would be like the one Matt posted, if I were to leave the lights alone

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%209.23.28%20PM_zpslu5ffu6s.png

recessed above the bow line

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%2010.20.44%20PM_zpsq2sjyn3d.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%2011.33.18%20PM_zpsadpfjc2k.png

Rob's pics

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%209.23.41%20PM_zpsmqopyoiz.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%209.24.07%20PM_zpsmvrszus4.png

Last edited:
I've done this!

Did 4x6 fixed headlights on project rust rat in 2012. I've since aquired some larger headlights off a Jeep cherokee (84-97 style) to re-do them more like the original prototipos. You'll notice i had to add a filler plate on the outside edge to accommodate the samller 4x6's which I plan on getting rid of:

I had the sealed beam 4X6 lights when I first did the switch then got the clear lensed housings through Whiteny's and use the H4 halogen bulb. Much better light than the sealed beam halogens.

How about some more revealing pics? Or are you just trying to tease? :hrmph:

Alex - thanks for your pics - I bought Ford Bronco units (6x7) that have the backplate , buckets etc. the back plates are essentially rectangular with a dogleg mount, compared to some of the other move convoluted plates I looked at from 78-80 time frame.

I'm leaning toward the prototipo version - slightly higher for less loss of DTR illumination - and that way I won't have to mess with the directional height too much .

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-03%20at%209.29.08%20PM_zpsu02kqgk3.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-03%20at%209.29.31%20PM_zpspncwfjaa.png

Last edited:
How about a "lazy eye" conversion using Hella 90mm projectors or similar in place of the 7" headlights?

Back