BMW brake fluid reservoir?

slaponte

The Iron Monkey
Hi guys. I remember reading on the old site a posting by somebody saying they had found a BMW brake reservoir that fit well into the Fiat space. I was wondering if anybody remember the posting or model stated. I remember reading it, but can't find it.

Thanks

I used a reservoir from a mid 90s Galant/Eclipse:
6683_1.JPG

im sorry but that one is very expensive, nice though. i actully have a spare bmw reservoir that fits the x bracket real nice. email me if interested. its actually very reasonable.

Thanks for the info everybody. I am going to visit my u-pullit and look around. I had seen the 90 Galant/Eclipse ones last night, that is a good choice. The BMW one on the pics of the thread almost looks like ours, and I like to keep the OEM look if I can.

Thanks again.

Is there a problem with the stock one?

Just wondering is there any sort of real problem with the stock reservoir other than they might be hard to come by? I have new masters to install and I'd like to get the brake system sorted out at once, so if there is some sort of inherent flaw with the reservoirs now is the time to deal with it.

no issues with the original reservoirs. they just eventually all crack, and there are no new ones. people just looked for a good replacement. if yours isnt cracked, dont worry about it. i would imagine that cars stored in garages all the time might be the ones with good stock reservoirs.

Spiderrey wrote: "i actully have a spare bmw reservoir that fits the x bracket real nice. email me if interested. its actually very reasonable."

Please post pics (some of the bottom would be nice) of the one you mention in the above quote.

fluid

Just wondering is there any sort of real problem with the stock reservoir other than they might be hard to come by? I have new masters to install and I'd like to get the brake system sorted out at once, so if there is some sort of inherent flaw with the reservoirs now is the time to deal with it.

The reservoir that was used when the low fluid level indicator became required cracks on the top. Even though my suppliers quote me for them new & I order them, they never get shipped.
Repairs can be attepted, but seem to be temporary.
Before the required new tank Fiat used three tanks all the same. This is what I supply today.

If I remember right

The BMW reservoir was from a 7 seires. For a temporay fix I used a soldering iron (pencil type) to melt and fill in the cracks on the top of my old one until I can find a replacement.

So it looks like you got the one in the parts diagram that I posted, and cut off the bottom bracket.

What did you use to cut it off, and do you have a pic of the underneath before or after the cut-off?

Back