Rear Shelf Removal

lookforjoe

True Classic
Found this thread :

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/9440/

But it's locked & Jeff's link is dead. Looking for pics of removing the shelf. Going to add Honda S2000 seat belts, using the metal shelf for the reel placement. Need to add a reinforced mount plate for the two reels, which are mounted horizontally.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-30%20at%2010.42.33%20PM_zpsbw52fmeq.png

This will also allow a little additional rearward seat movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff's text description is pretty accurate I think even without the photos. You can gently pry the front edge of the trim piece up from just behind the lip of the interior firewall (covering the tank and spare tire well). The trim piece will pop up but the rear vinyl attached to it is also attached to the lower gasket holding the rear window. So you have to remove the window and lift the gasket/seal out so you can remove the vinyl or you'll have to cut the vinyl in the rear of the shelf. Depending on the work you're going to do you can potentially just lift it up from the front and hold it out of the way while you work on the metal shelf underneath.

Under the trim piece there's a similar sized piece of insulation that you can lift-out to gain access to the metal shelf underneath.

Hope this helps.

Thank you - that is clear enough. I don't actually need to remove it, I can hopefully trim the forward edge in place after the support brackets are bolted to the shelf. Worst case, I'll cut the vinyl cover as described.

Good to note there is padding underneath - therefore it is likely the finished height of the shelf will be unaltered, as the bracketry is only 1/8" - 3/16" thick.

Found a pic which might be helpful. Not great but may give some insight. See the 2nd photo in this thread where I shared the updates I was making on my interior. This photo shows the front edge of the shelf lifted up and out of the way as I upholstered the interior firewall. In this situation, I wrapped the vinyl over the top edge of the firewall and glued it onto the metal shelf that you will access. When I was finished, I reinstalled the original insulation over the shelf and then pressed the trim panel back into place.

http://www.xwebforums.org/showpost.php?p=254111&postcount=12

Thanks Hussein! I used Vinyl from the shop that recovered my seats, and purchased some thick felt and adhered to the backside of it.

Back