Exhaust questions

halojm

True Classic
A couple of questions about exhaust modifications. I have seen an exhaust system using a Flowmaster crossflow muffler (I think it's a Series 80) with a single inlet and then dual outlets on either side. My first question is are there any other manufacturers who make a similar or different style muffle with the same configuration? My next question is why do I only see custom exhaust coming out the stock location/s instead of thru a modified rear grille piece? It seems if you're making a completely new exhaust system you could choose where you wanted it to exit.

Thanks, Dave

This might look nice

:)

2008-BF-Performance-Lamborghini-Mur.jpg

Some have run dual exhaust through the rear grille

looks great...but someone here will have to find the pics. I think I deleted the ones I had of it.

looks great...but someone here will have to find the pics. I think I deleted the ones I had of it.

The Ansa system has the dual tips exiting thru the rear grille.

Pictures on my website.

Cheers - DM

Duh!

I knew I saw it somewhere! How could I forget it was YOUR car?!? At Matt's last get together, there was a blue X as well with Kentucky plates (I think) which also had duals thru the grille. I am almost sure Jim Decker has pics.

Nope

The only blue car pic I have from last year had what appears to be a rather large single exhaust. See here:

IM002377.jpg

Oh wait... my bad.. that is just BobB. :p

here is my custom exhaust

I post this project around 18 months ago here is the post.

hi guys

recently i finish my new exhaust system. I used before a vw empi exhaust, looks nice
but pretty loudly, also i was thinking to install a catalyst converter to my system,
i kept my empi sys intact and made a new one.
For this one i used a magnaflow one inlet 2.5 two outlet 2.25 diameter pipe for camaro system
a catalyst 2.5 diameter and a couple pacesetter resonator double tip ends.

I hope you like this project.

nam001.jpg

nam002.jpg

nam004.jpg

nam006.jpg

nam008.jpg

nam010.jpg

nam011.jpg

nam012.jpg

nam014.jpg

nam016.jpg

here is the first version vw empi exhaust double tip
mofle1.jpg

mofle2.jpg

and my custom stickers for each tip

thanks for watching

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

Yep!

Just I welding a little pieces of pipe on each tip and paint it on red to make closest than possible like the ANSA MARMITTE view

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

Exhaust finished!

I made up a flange to mate up to the manifold, got a collector from Meg's Exhaust, plumbed it through the lower subframe to trunk floor opening into a V-Force crossflow muffler (a Flowmaster clone with a deeper tone) and have the outlets coming out through rear grille. The X is going to the body shop tomorrow, so I pulled the exhaust to paint it and thought I'd post the pix. Dave

Exhaust.jpg

Exhaust1.jpg

Exhaust2.jpg

RearGrille.jpg

Dual Exhaust tips.

The car you are talking about is owned by Bob Martin in Kentucky. Matt Brannon custom made the system for him that required cutting the left side of the car to match the right.

As for custom work and exit points I didn't want to make a lot of changes to the body on my car. Second is resonance, the Ansa system is exactly that very loud at 3500 rpm to about 4300 rpm. On a long drive or one that is about an hour or so I would get a head ace from the noise and resonance.

I designed my own system and found it too loud, then reworked by adding a second chambered muffler. I will gladly trade weight for noise.

P3050453.jpg

FinalAssembly2.jpg

Always remember each to his own taste.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

tempting ...

I'd like to see what this looks like installed. I'm intrigued by the "thru the rear grill" approach ...

jim

Back