BB-4RE Progress Picts D/L warn

bbrown

Bob Brown
It's been about 6 months since reporting progress on BB-4RE's updating.
You might recall my goal was to re-wire the car with a new wire harness and refresh certain things that I thought it could use.
It now sports a 1986 wire harness with all the fix'ns.
I've been going over the car completely, fixing up just about everything that I thought it could use.
Last thing on the 'majors' list was the brakes.

This is how they looked up until about a week ago. The struts were a little too loose for my liking, and (in New Hampshire) they wouldn't pass State inspection so I ordered a set of springs from Matt Brannon and struts from Summit Racing. I had the rest of the parts I needed.

bb4refrontbrakesold.jpg

Here are the springs, I cut a little more than 3/4 turn from one end, then heated the cut end about 1/3 of a turn to shape a taper so it would sit into the perch better.
bb4renewcutsprings.jpg

Here's a closeup of the taper:
bb4recutspringcloseup.jpg

And this is what they look like assembled. I DIDN'T need spring compressors to assemble, as there is (now) no pre-load on the spring.
They tighten up perfectly, just like the AIP lowering springs I bought a year ago. I expect they'll lower my front by about 3/4 inch.
bb4renewstrutassemblies.jpg

Here's how they look (now) installed. Not too bad...
bb4refrontbrakesnew.jpg

Strut close-up:
bb4restrutcloseup.jpg

And the rears:
bb4rerearbrakesnew.jpg

I'm still waiting for my Sumitomos but here's a photo of the rims I plan on installing on BB-4RE. These are period correct and I restored them a couple weeks ago. The CD91's look really nice on the car:
bb4reprofilecd91rims.jpg

The interior is almost done, got to remove the (un-needed) Brown Wire Mod, install a radio and generally clean things up a bit.
bb4recabinview.jpg

The front trunk now sports a washer tank. (there was a power amp in it's place) Overall, she's almost there!
bb4refronttrunk.jpg

This car WILL be for sale in the fall. It's not a rust-free car but it'll be in really good shape. I plan on driving her as my daily driver for the next 3 months to enjoy my efforts.

Lookin' Good...

Hey Bob

It's nice to see the progress you made with BB4RE.

I am awaiting delivery on the Sumi's as the Yoko's I currently have on the car gave up the ghost on Rt 93 Friday.

Fortunately, nothing more than a tire change and 20min late for work.

I plan on having them installed and on the road this week.

I hope you plan to bring BB4RE to Larz this summer.

later

I thought I told you to paint the springs RED!!!

Now yur gonna haveta take them all apart again and do it RIGHT!

Otherwise... great work as usual!

p.s. No "Plaia Pivots"??? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Tony, I've spent SO MUCH

$$ on this thing, I have to put the brakes on, so to speak.
I can keep going non-stop, but then I'd never get to drive it. The pivots were another $75 atop of the thousands I've already put into it.

Gotta choose my battles. Red springs? in a BLUE car? Ha! That would surely look funny.
So I chose you're favorite color... BLACK! Ha! :nana:

WHAT???

75 bucks???

They were 30 bucks not so long ago!!!

(Geez... is someone trying to retire on these sales alone? Maybe we need ta speak to the designer for a SENIOR discount!)

Anyway... The black wheelwell, silver strut, and then a RED spring just POPS.

Ya can't see the springs normally until the car is up or the wheel is pulled and THEN... the RED painted springs look like AFTERMARKET RACING SPRINGS!

You can then ask THOUSANDS MORE for the car when ya sell it!

I'm always lookin' out for ya!

HA!

PLAIA PIVOTS

75 bucks???

They were 30 bucks not so long ago!!!

(Geez... is someone trying to retire on these sales alone? Maybe we need ta speak to the designer for a SENIOR discount!)

Possibly there is another supplier... http://www.fiatplus.com/front-steering-pivots-bearing-pr-277241.html
But the prices are up; The new machinest charges a lot more for the current production. Not to mention huge cost increase in materials.
The fall of the US Dollars and the rise in fuel costs (You DO remember high fuel costs just before the election, right?) really drove material prices up. And no one seems to have lowered their transportation costs...

No one will EVER retire selling Fiat parts

Eh, don't get me started on this. I heavily rely on Fedex in my business. Fedex drove up the rates because of the cost of gas about a year ago. Now that gas has come down, the shipping rates are still the same.

Go figure.

Ed

I'm sorry sir, but we're going to have to confiscate that interior for umm... evidence. Step back please, we'll be done in a bit.

Not usually a fan of black interiors 'cause they tend towards the warm side in Texas summers, but I shore like that one. :)

All this effort for a 3 month drive ???

And what makes the BWM un-needed ?
Still - nice work.

Re: All this effort for a 3 month drive

My wife is asking that same question... :mallet:

My job stress (industrial control software creation) gives me a need to work on something more
physically challenging and I find that working on X1/9's a satisfying and (eventually) rewarding
experience. My wife understands that. She'll tell you it keeps me outta trouble. :whistle::p

From the start, BB-4RE was a challenge most would have shy'd away from, but I have some
really great stories and memories built from this experience in less than 1 year. Met lots
of great people too. Still worth it, though the expense of it all has been considerable.

Would I do it again? Maybe not. (you never know!) But at the same time, I'm NOT sorry I did.

Does that make sense? Maybe that's why folks say "welcome to the insanity"... :confuse2:

It'll All Come Together...

When you take the first ride with the top off on a warm spring day and someone in a Miata pulls up next to you and says, "Nice ride, what is that?...... A Triumph?".

Ahh the insanity of it all! :excited:

AMEN Chris...

HA!

Besides... tell me that your WORK is not like a VACATION??? Doing what ya love to do... hopefully!

B'sides... livin' in Santa Cruz IS like RETIREMENT!

Bob... IMHO... the only INSANE thing yur planning to do...

... is sell it before you can really enjoy it. Especially if you know yur not gonna recoup what ya spent anytime soon...

Do yurself a favor... You deserve it!

It'll also make a great Mother's Day gift for Carol!

ur wrong ...

I worked on my X like 2 years, and drived it maxim 2 month, then after all paper work was done and X was legal on the street, i pull it apart again, still working on it, hope I'll finish it next month so I can enjoy it this summer full ....how about that . is it worth to work 2 years for a 2 month drive ? YES !

After, like 3 tries...

I was pretty happy with them. Not perfect, but they match up with the door panels nicely. Thanks Aaron.

Last edited:
Mother's day gift?

"Here you go honey, I thought roses were too cheap this year, so I bought you a car instead." Hahaha! :clap:

Tony, she's already telling our friends and family that it's HER car! :confused:
I think she might like this one, we'll see...

work

HA!

Besides... tell me that your WORK is not like a VACATION??? Doing what ya love to do... hopefully!

B'sides... livin' in Santa Cruz IS like RETIREMENT!

I do love the Fiat thing, but I need to work to pay them darn bills. Last two days I have been assembling my 600 Jolly. Mostly because the paying work is nothing. 500 kilometer service on a 500 L I did a drivetrain for, oil change on a local client's 124 Coupe.
With that kind of work I will need to get a second job to retire!
But the Jolly will be nice, hopefully the economy will turn so I can get a good price for it.
My body guy is assembling my 128 Wagon, I will have the best darn wagon around when he is done. Then I will need to paint my 1200 TV.
There is always another project. But I could use a few that are not mine!

Back