BB-4RE Back on the road again!

bbrown

Bob Brown
(Sort of a mini story)

Some of you may have followed my journey regarding BB-4RE. In short, I flew out to Columbus to pick her up. While there, I enjoyed Matt Brannon's open house celebration but had to install a complete clutch assembly (courtesy of Matt's facility) and jury-rig some headlights so I could drive back to New Hampshire. Over 700 miles and she made it! I tell people I made it on a wing and a prayer. :laugh:

Since then, I've been 'picking at it' on weekends. Winters here are too rough to work outside, so my time was limited. Fortunately, we had an early spring with great weather, so I was able to put some serious time into finishing up the restoration.

BB-4RE is a 1979 carb'd X1/9. For the most, the wire harness was trash, so the first thing I did was pull the old harness and install a renewed one from a late model X. While everything was out, I also updated the entire interior with a perfect shape replacement dash, black visors, matching keyset all around and LOTS of TLC. The replacement parts list invested is HUGE. From top to bottom, this entire car has been gone through to insure ALL good parts were installed and EVERYTHING works. Also includes a completely new suspension, brakes, wheels and sumitomo tires.

This car does NOT need the brown wire mod, as the headlights have the insertable headlight mod I designed a couple years back and I doubled-up the battery wire to the fuse panel. Anyone looking at the car today would never know the harness had been changed.

I did add some LEDs to the dash, but not a complete changeover.
I put so much money into this car, I had to limit the number of goodies in what I included. But I didn't spare the electric antenna for the stereo! Ha!

So, below are some photos of the finished car. I took over 60 but in the interest of time and space, I've limited my post to 10. This is NOT a rust-free car, but the places where the rust is at is easily repairable (not structural) and doesn't show unless you're looking for it. Overall, this will be a great daily driver until I decide to sell her in the fall.

Lastly, this car rides and shifts really nice. The car has lots of power and I can't be happier with the results. Enjoy the photos, and if you're interested in owning her in the fall, let me know. She has a little over 65K miles.

-Bob Brown

bb4redone1.jpg

bb4redone2.jpg

bb4redone3.jpg

bb4redone4.jpg

bb4redone5.jpg

bb4redone6.jpg

bb4redone7.jpg

bb4redone8.jpg

bb4redone9.jpg

bb4redone10.jpg

Last edited:
BB4RE

I do say, your car looks great. I love the color scheme and those wheels. Very classic and understated. Congrats!

Love the car...

BUT... I still don't get it, anymore than I did in Rudy's case. Why put all that work in only to sell it? You won't find a nicer one for the money you'll get selling it, and you know that one is right because you did it. If you get another "X", won't you just be starting all over, chasing down a whole 'nother set of wiring gremlins and other assorted issues? Why not just keep it and enjoy your labors??? -Doug

Nice job, Bob...

....very understated with those rims, but nicer than the steelies, for sure! I miss that interior more than anything. Any idea how the single 36DCNF carb power contrasts to that of your FI car?
Below is what the car looked like with 'real' rims!
BB4REs001-1.jpg

Looking great, fine job, Bob.

It's sure to be a keeper for someone, must be tough to let it go. I have two also and know what you mean.

Hey Bob

For some reason I did not download your photos, but I know that is a great car.

I am tempted to inquire about BB4RE, but I have a good thing with 87
Bert.

You must bring it to Larz this August.

I know the answer...

Probably the same answer as why Rudy sold his...

(ya seen one friggin' BLUE X1/9... ya seen them all!)

HAHAHAHA!

Well... Humph! Yur not gettin' me to bestow praises...

... and platitudes until you get some TIRE DRESSING on those Sumitumos! For God's sake Bob... start acting like a Californian, or Arizonian or some other sunbelt resident! One would think you were a mud, rain and snow fanatic!

(I recommend Meguir's in the tall BLACK SPRAY CAN... works great, lasts a LONG time and won't rot yur teeth.)

HAHAHA!

(Great work my friend... as always!)

Carol's gonna LOVE this car!

Looks nice.

Bob what is the build date of the car and serial #.

I have an early 79 with December 78 build date, 100839 is the serial number.

I see you kept the clock wise Tach and engine cover with the solid side panels.

Very nice looking car.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back