Headlight Actuation

Mark

FIATFREAK
When I turn on the headlights, occasionally the left one will go up, and then start back down just slightly before stopping. I can usually switch them on and off a few times and it will stop in the 'fully upright position'. Is this a relay issue?

Last edited:
Well...

This can be a combination of things.

First off, we are driving 2 separate motors from one source of control. Both motors only turn in 1 direction, meaning they never reverse. The motor operates a bell crank with a cam and limit switches. In order to stop both motors from continually cycling there are diodes in the circuit to prevent this from happening once a motor reaches the fully up posistion of the pod.

So since both lights travel to the up posistion this would suggest that the motors are okay, and that the relays are okay. The problem exists when 1 motor gets to the fully up posisiton before the other and causes the fully up pod to continue driving. From what you have stated in your post there lies the possibility that you have a bad diode on the motor that is parked or reaches full up, then continues to drive. I will assume that the closing operation is without problems.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I will assume that the closing operation is without problems.

Well, I noticed that the same headlight also occasionally parks in a semi-upright position. That is, it's about 1/2" high. This is an intermittent problem.

I really dunno the answer...

I haven't expereinced that particular problem, but TK's explanation is a good possibility.

If you want to try the diodes... there is an excellent replacement article in Best Of, version 1.0

Thanks, I have a set of spare motors I can swap in to see if that eliminates the problem.

position

I had this, it sounds more like your lifting arm is out of sync thats all. To test this, raise the headlamps and make sure the the arms (bell cranks) are at top dead centre on its axis ie dead straight from motor fixing nut to the headlamp pod. If its not straight, undo the nut on the motor and manually rotate the lifter not the motor or you might activate the auto close and trap your digits .... retighten and check position. Dont go ripping out electronics just yet.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back

Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back

Pull the fuses, for crissakes

and manually rotate the lifter not the motor or you might activate the auto close and trap your digits

... after you have the light raised.
(or just disconnect the battery ground)

For Future Reference........................
I swapped left and right headlight motor relays E3 and E5 and the problem changed to the opposite side. Problem solved. Lazy relay.

Back