Exhaust Part II

halojm

True Classic
So, after trying to quiet down my initial custom exhaust with dual outlets exiting thru the rear grille with motorcycle baffles, I tried a different approach. I made each of these with a 3/8" flange, twin 1 1/2" pipes into a Meg's Exhaust collector, then a 2'' down pipe swaged up to 2 1/4" to go into the muffler.
Exhaust-1.jpg

Initially, I used a Magnaflow-type chambered muffler - TOO LOUD!
Exhaust2-1.jpg

I even fitted motorcycle baffles in the outlets - Still Too Loud!
Exhaust5.jpg

This exhaust exited thru the modified rear grille
Exhaust6.jpg

Exhaust7.jpg

When that didn't work, I looked at a huge muffler catalog and found the following AP crossflow/transverse muffler for a 82-90 Camaro or Firebird
Exhaust-2.jpg

I then ran 2" outlet pipes thru the modified rear grille, finishing it with 3" stainless steel tips from a 2009 GMC Acadia
Exhaust9.jpg

And here's how it looks
Exhaust10.jpg

If someone can tell me how to post video, I have a video of how it sounds.

Dave

well you can upload it to youtube and then post the youtube link here

*edit* that looks GREAT im gonna have to do that soon too, how did you have it hung? custom hangers?

Looks good!

I have the split manifold/dual down-pipes as well. My shop took each pipe to a separate turbo muffler and chrome tips. $225.00, for us non-welders, I was very happy! Sounds good....

Old, which rusted out on me:
centers3.jpg

New:
dualturbos.jpg

Video of Exhaust

What it sounds like now:
Dave

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fYkfcCKRmo&feature=email"]YouTube - Custom Exhaust Dual Outlets Through Rear Grille[/ame]

Sounds good Dave!

Not too loud and tinny. I ran with a glasspack on the street for a while... not sure who I annoyed more, me or the other drivers. Never again!

Pete

Pete

I'm not sure if you notoced, but that shiney red panel beside the left side of the rear grille is the one you sent me (reworked a bit...)
Thanks,
Dave

I wondered if it was the same one.

Looks a lot better now than it did after the removal from the parts car! Glad to see it lives on, especially in such a fine machine as yours.

Pete

Radii of Tailpipes

I'm not sure of the radii, they were done on a standard exhaust shop pipe bender in 2" with the tightest radii 90 degree bend possible, then welded into the (shortened) muffler outlets right at the pont they straightened out. Same for the inlet into the muffler, except 2 1/4" pipe worked into a more than a 90 degree bend. Hope this helps.

Dave

I have the split manifold/dual down-pipes as well. My shop took each pipe to a separate turbo muffler and chrome tips. $225.00, for us non-welders, I was very happy! Sounds good....

Old, which rusted out on me:
centers3.jpg

New:
dualturbos.jpg

Hi Dayton Tom

Of you get your rear spoiler?
Find a truly interesting and would certainly fit well on my X1/9.

Kind regards from Switzerland.

Raffi

Update?

Hi Dave,

What are your thoughts on the Camaro muffler after you've lived with
it for a while? Any annoying resonances in certain r.p.m. ranges?

Cheers,

Dave

Muffler Noise Update

After running the car for a couple months with the Camaro muffler setup, I'm pleased with the sound. It's quiet rowing around town at low speeds and you can actually hear the radio. No resonance as the speed builds, but it definitely makes some noise at the upper end of the revs near redline. All in all, very happy with the system.

Dave

OK BOYS... so which is which?

You converted the 4 pipe FAZA-type exhaust to the 2 pipe Camaro, or visa-versa???

Tony

On my system, I used a Euro 4-2 exhaust manifold, made up my own flange, used a MEGS 1 1/2" to 2" collector, then plumbed that into the Camaro muffler and ran dual outlets thru the rear grille. The whole thing was about $150.
Dave
Exhaust-1.jpg

Exhaust9.jpg

Stock type muffler?

Hi Dave,

I think it sounds nice, and I like the fact that you say it doesn't resonate.
So is this a stock replacement muffler as opposed to a performance muffler?

Support?

I am curious as to how you have supported this new system? Is it hanging off the exhaust manifold?

It's good to hear there is no resonance period. The stock system on my '79 is definitely a vibrator. Thankfully I have managed eliminate the resonance period by mounting a weight out of sight near the outlet pipe. This has stopped that really annoying buzz at about 2700 rpm.

Dave Evans
Delta, BC

Back